Perpetual power solution?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dan Gahagan

Perpetual power solution?

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Anyone know of a good perpetual power solution using Anton Bauer batteries for a Mini URSA? I know there is a AB double battery plate, but the newest AB Digital batteries will not fit on the plate. Is there another known way to get all day continuous run times using batteries for these cameras?

Thanks!

Denny Smith

Re: Perpetual power solution?

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Rig a second AB power plate mounted to,the tripod and connect it to the camera via the 4-pin XLR power input, so with one battery on the XLR and the other on the camera rear plate, you can just swap the low battery to a fresh one. On ENG cameras, the XLR had first priority, the rear battery plate next, so when power is low or lost on the power XLR input, the camera seamlessly switched from the XLR to the rear plate. The Mini should work the same way round. Just remember to unplug the power XLR when going from tripod to handheld, and replug it back in, when you go back to the tripod.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Dan Gahagan wrote:Is there another known way to get all day continuous run times using batteries for these cameras?

No doubt you have seen these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... Belts.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... older.html
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 11:26 pm

The "belt" was the "hand held" solution, got rid of mine when I sold my ENG camera.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The "belt" was the "hand held" solution

In the '80's the company I worked for had a couple of Ikegame HL79D.
We used this system of battery belt for continuous power. Worked well.

Wrap the belt round the tripod legs, shoot all day.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Anatoly Mashanov

PostSat Dec 12, 2015 4:47 am

E-Bay lists lots of Gold (and maybe V) adapters. I see no problem to make a custom back plate with a pair of adapters (maybe one on the standard place and one on top, maybe a T-plate with a right and left place made out of a suitable T-profile).

If you have no specific inner connector you may just connect the plate to the standard 12V input connector.

And I'd add some serial Schottky diodes to prevent the fresh battery from charging the used one.

Personally I could just add the charger that would charge the battery on-site from the external battery but I cannot recommend it due to safety reasons. They sometimes explode.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Bebob makes hot swap adapters that mount between the AB battery and the camera. http://www.bebob.de/Batteries-and-chargers/Gold-Mount/Hot-Swap-Adapter-133034/
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Benjamin Brown

PostFri Dec 18, 2015 4:41 am

Here's something I use from Switronix. JetPack X. Internal battery and either V or Gold mount. Keeps the camera on, if needed, between battery changes.

I tried it today and it kept the Mini running for brief periods while I changed the brick. It has a V-mount backplate put on the other side to mount up to the camera's plate.

This is the model for the BMCC which I've used for a couple years.

Shawn Sagady

PostFri Dec 18, 2015 9:24 am

Benjamin Brown wrote:Here's something I use from Switronix. JetPack X. Internal battery and either V or Gold mount. Keeps the camera on, if needed, between battery changes.

I tried it today and it kept the Mini running for brief periods while I changed the brick. It has a V-mount backplate put on the other side to mount up to the camera's plate.

This is the model for the BMCC which I've used for a couple years.

The jet pack x might be a good solution for you. Especially since it also provides power distribution as well as uninterrupted power for accessories when you swap batteries. Looks like you could just mount it to the back of the Ursa mini.

Shawn Sagady
Projection Designer / Director of Photography

Return to Cinematography