Pocket camera on long shoots

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jameslarkin

Pocket camera on long shoots

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 7:37 am

Has anyone been using the pocket camera on long shoots and also:
what have your transfer times for full card?
What kinda battery life you getting ?

Denny Smith

Re: Pocket camera on long shoots

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 5:19 pm

jameslarkin wrote:1. Has anyone been using the pocket camera on long shoots and also:
2. what have your transfer times for full card?
3. What kinda battery life you getting ?

Answers:
1. Yes
2. Sorry, did,not keep track, but this would depend on your,card,reader and if you are,using USB 2/3 or FW
3. 30-45 min on internal fresh charged battery (Nikon/BM battery), but I mostly used external battery or mains power.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Shawn Sagady

PostSat Dec 12, 2015 2:07 am

I just finished a 12 hour shoot today.

Transfers for a full 64gig card with raw data were about 75 minutes. We have 5 cards in rotation.

I use a vmount battery to power my entire rig including evf, small HD monitor, camera, HDMI splitter and wireless HD transmitter. We got about 8 hours off the first battery which is 90ah

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Shawn, any feeling for the portion of time most things were powered off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 8:33 pm

1. I've shot for two hours continuous.
2. I can transfer a 256GB card in under 1 hr, this also gives me about an hour of raw recording.
3. I use an external battery. I've found that a fully charged NP-F960 will give me about three hours.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 pm

1. Yes, have used BMPCC as A cam on some productions.
2. Transfer speed depends on connection and speed of destination drive. The Extreme Pro can sustain 95 MB/s read speed which theoretically allows the 64GB Extreme Pro to be offloaded in about 11 minutes. In a proper production workflow extra time is necessary for the backup copy and verification checksums.
3. A 136Wh gold mount battery (Dionic 90) is usually enough to power the camera and accessories (monitor(s), remote focus, SDI converter) for a 10-hour shooting day. The internal battery tends to last for 30-40 minutes with a fresh charge.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Shawn Sagady

PostFri Dec 18, 2015 9:07 am

rick.lang wrote:Shawn, any feeling for the portion of time most things were powered off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never. We kept the rig up and running streaming wireless video to the directors monitor all day. Only technical down time was when we swapped batteries but the camera stayed on with the internal battery.

Oh and of course the added bonus is the external vmount keeps the internal battery freshly charged. So if your battery fails you can keep recording till the take is done.

It should also be noted the card reader I was using completely failed at the end of the shoot so my transfer speeds may not be accurate.

Though for what it is worth I've been using a program called Teracopy for Windows that is much better than the native OS transfer and does full CRC checking. Has made me a a lot more confident with my multiple backups. Tried using ShotPut for Windows but it has major issues with raw sequences. Would be fine for ProRes.

Shawn Sagady
Projection Designer / Director of Photography

Return to Cinematography