Wide Conversion Lens Adapter - to shoot or not to shoot

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jakub Frišo

Wide Conversion Lens Adapter - to shoot or not to shoot

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Hello guys tommorow I am shooting a commercial for dance school and I wanted to try Wide Conversion Lens Adapter from Zunow that expands FOV by cca. 20% and I thought it would be nice to have it for couple wide shots that we planned but today when i was testing it I saw some artifacts on image when I did put Adapter on my lens. So I like that wide look that it gives but should i use it on wide shots even when it has some artifacts?
(comparison test images below I hope you can see those differences)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450112633.367242.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450112633.367242.jpg (189 KiB) Viewed 611 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450112622.733789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450112622.733789.jpg (216.4 KiB) Viewed 611 times

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

John Simatos

Re: Wide Conversion Lens Adapter - to shoot or not to shoot

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 5:31 am

Well unless you've graded the two images differently it seems as though the Wide conversion adaptor gives it an orange tint, and definitely softens the image as far as my eyes can tell, I do like the wider fov.

Looks like it's your call. Can you deal with it being a bit softer, and is the colour shift something you want to correct in post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.A.M. Gerlach

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 5:40 am

My favorite wide angle conversion adapter is made by Tokina and it gives awesome results for only $300-400 used. Its called the 11-16/2.8, you should check it out.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure the rationale for using such a thing on any of the BM cams except for a certain effects shot. To me, it seems like buying a nice car and putting old, worn out tires on it. Better than no tires, but why did you buy the nice car in the first place? Personally, I have owned what seems to be considered the most usable wide angle adapter for stills shooting, the Olympus WCON-08 mostly on a lark, but it was mostly on a lark since it only worked with smaller lenses and while it performed surprisingly decent paired with a kit lens, even then I didn't exactly use kit lenses much at all so it found little use and is now in the selling queue.

To note, the vignetting likely has at least something to do with the adapter likely being designer for a smaller diameter lens than you've mounted it on. If you are going to buy one big and good enough to match a decent size lens, you may as well buy the real thing and get so much more. That's my take, anyways.
CAM Gerlach (Christopher A. M. Gerlach)
I am not an expert; take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 5:53 am

I don't like adding conversion glass in front of the lens because more glass equals more things for the light to fight through to reach the sensor. That means for the added value of a wider or more telephoto image you sacrifice overall image quality for the cost of lower light transmission, introduction of optical abberations including chromatic, flaring, ghosting, fringing and vignetting. Not to mention image sharpness, shifts in chroma values, unwanted tinting......it's just an overall degradation in image quality. That means more work in post. But, if it's the look you want and the effects are subtle enough to not distract from the drama, then do it. Shoot it both ways for safety. Do experiment but not on set! It is simply better to have the appropriate lens. But if the adapter is the faster or more affordable solution right now, then yes you must use it or figure out a different way to shoot what you need.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Return to Cinematography