sensor cover glass for the BMCC 2.5K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

adeeb oberoi

sensor cover glass for the BMCC 2.5K

PostTue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 pm

What exactly is the protective cover glass infront of the sensor on the BMCC 2.5k?

It is held in with a rubber ring and can easily be replaced (in a clean room) I have been told.

Mine is damaged and needs to be replaced. unfortunately I live on a small island and can not ship it out for repair. I need to have it done here.

BM in England told me it is just a normal glass and not IR.

I will need this glass online and have it placed here on the island by a clean room repair shop.

Any advice on what this glass is exactly will be much appreciated.

John Brawley

Re: sensor cover glass for the BMCC 2.5K

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 7:05 am

adeeb oberoi wrote:What exactly is the protective cover glass infront of the sensor on the BMCC 2.5k?

It is held in with a rubber ring and can easily be replaced (in a clean room) I have been told.

Mine is damaged and needs to be replaced. unfortunately I live on a small island and can not ship it out for repair. I need to have it done here.

BM in England told me it is just a normal glass and not IR.

I will need this glass online and have it placed here on the island by a clean room repair shop.

Any advice on what this glass is exactly will be much appreciated.

It's mainly there to protect the sensor itself from damage... and hey..you damaged the glass right ? So if what ever happened t the glass happened to your sensor ???

It does have some IR properties actually, so that's not really true. It does block some IR.

It also will affect collimation of your lenses. Not having it might mean your lenses don't line up the same way...you may not hit infinity anymore on some or the witness marks for distance that might have been accurate will no longer be so...

If I were you I would still try to replace it yourself, even if you don't have a clean room. You might be able to "improvise one"

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Robert Niessner

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 7:55 am

Basically a clean room works like this:
You build an isolated room inside a room. You constantly pump clean, filtered (air washer, particle traps, air filters) air into the room to create a slight over-pressure. The over-pressure prevents non-clean air from entering the clean room.

Some ideas to simulate that at home:
Build a tent out of transparent plastic foils. A hair dryer set to just blowing without heating, blows from the outside through coffee filter paper or better through an unused air filter from a vacuum cleaner. Steam like in a sauna helps to get rid of dust in the air.
The human body is a constant source of hair parts and other particles, so you need yourself wrapped, especially your hair.

Edit: instead of a hair dryer you could use a large fan from a computer. Just make sure to clean it if it was used before. You have to let run the whole construction for some time so the air inside the tent has been replaced completely by the filtered one.

You don't need a huge tent, just big enough to handle the camera inside with your hands.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Günter Martins

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 10:07 am

Hi, a while ago I found this video online on how to build a DIY clean room.

Maybe this helps...

Robert Niessner

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 11:06 am

@ Günter

That video provides a good general guide, but this guy gets several things wrong.

1. You need positive pressure by blowing air into the chamber, not negative pressure by sucking the air out.

2. Don't use cardboard for the housing. It will always drop little particles into the chamber. Use plastic instead. As a bonus you can easily wipe the plastic clean with special micro-fibre cloths and antistatic cleaner.

In my teenage years (during my education as a mechanical engineer) I worked for a company who specialized in building clean rooms for e.g. Siemens (now Infineon).
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Robert, always impressed with and marvel at the backgrounds of people on this forum.

I can understand NASA would think I'm a fool taking a crew of cinematographers to the moon and on to Mars, but they're just underestimating the actual skill set of the crew. You should consider joining us, Robert. Before you decide, remember it may be a one way ticket to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 5:38 pm

rick.lang wrote:Robert, always impressed with and marvel at the backgrounds of people on this forum.

I can understand NASA would think I'm a fool taking a crew of cinematographers to the moon and on to Mars, but they're just underestimating the actual skill set of the crew. You should consider joining us, Robert. Before you decide, remember it may be a one way ticket to ride.

Rick, these guys need a camera crew...they're funding it by making a reality show..Endemol (big brother) is behind it.

http://www.mars-one.com/

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks, John. There are several Canadians shortlisted for that trip. I think I missed the cutoff date, but you may be onto something in that they need a film crew. I've seen there are some pretty old guys planning on going. Given the extended timeframes, it makes sense for senior citizens to hop a ride! I saw there were some very young people wanting to go, sad really as life is short enough, but we all must do what we need to do. Life is a calling.

Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 6:12 pm

rick.lang wrote:I can understand NASA would think I'm a fool taking a crew of cinematographers to the moon and on to Mars, but they're just underestimating the actual skill set of the crew. You should consider joining us, Robert. Before you decide, remember it may be a one way ticket to ride.

Rick, it would be daunting, but I have a 1 year old baby daughter I would never wanna miss to see her growing up :)
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Understand, Robert. Good choice.

Rick Lang

Chiaroscuro

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
rick.lang wrote:I can understand NASA would think I'm a fool taking a crew of cinematographers to the moon and on to Mars, but they're just underestimating the actual skill set of the crew. You should consider joining us, Robert. Before you decide, remember it may be a one way ticket to ride.

Rick, it would be daunting, but I have a 1 year old baby daughter I would never wanna miss to see her growing up :)

Is this the thread for INTERPLANET; the prequel to INTERSTELLAR? ;)
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 9:02 pm

Cute.

Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 12:14 am

You know guys - the greatest thing for me is that we have the internet for communication now.
It is really nice to talk to you all, scattered around the globe, united by passion for filmmaking.

Think about it: there is this guy Adeeb living on a tiny island, having a problem with his camera and people from all over the planet can try to help him with advice. Isn't that great times?
Last edited by Robert Niessner on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

adeeb oberoi

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 3:01 am

Yes thank you Robert, great that you are all out there...... But I am not going to the moon.....

By the way, on my little island here they are planning of building one of the view space shuttles that will take you there.

I am in CURACAO.... beautiful paradise....

Stuck in paradise with a great camera and a sensor glass I cant seem to change...

Igorigorevich

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 2:25 pm

adeeb oberoi wrote:Yes thank you Robert, great that you are all out there...... But I am not going to the moon.....

By the way, on my little island here they are planning of building one of the view space shuttles that will take you there.

I am in CURACAO.... beautiful paradise....

Stuck in paradise with a great camera and a sensor glass I cant seem to change...

Hi!
Did you manage to find a proper glass and replace it? I have the same problem and also trying to find any variants.

Marcel Lavide

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 6:58 am

Hi.

What is the thickness and diameter of the glass?

Anatoly Mashanov

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Problem is not the thickness (it can be somehow recalibrated) but the coating and the fact that it's an IR filter. You may try to buy an IR filter and then cut the nice circle out of it. Warning! Apply some soluble lacquer onto both sides of filter to protect it from scratches, let it completely dry, then cut the circle and at last use the corresponding solvent to remove the lacquer.

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 4:08 pm

The thickness of the sensor cover glass on all BMD cameras is 2.4mm if memory serves me well. Other manufacturers use 4mm glass. The Metabones Speed Boosters that are d signed for BMD cameras with MFT mounts account for that different thickness.

Rick Lang

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 5:04 am

You don't want to use just any glass because each type glass has it's own spectral characteristic and the glass also has AR coatings. Swap out the glass and you'll find your colors off.

Speak to your support contact and ask if they can send you a replacement glass so that you can replace it at your local camera repair shop in a *clean* environment. It's not ideal as the glass will need to be re-cleaned but it's probably your best bet.

Also, the thickness is 1.4mm.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 5:24 pm

1.4mm? Typo? Or my bad memory? Apparently my bad memory...

Rick Lang

Igorigorevich

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 am

Hi everyone,

I've just received a reply from the Blackmagic service regarding the cover glass replacement.

"Just thought I'd let you know that our sensor cleaning facilities are now ready if you are still interested in a sensor glass replacement.
There are a few costs associated with this service which I have included below for you.

- Service fee; €100.
- Shipping costs."

Florian Duning

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Hello,

I am really interested in how the glass and the area behind it can be kept 100% dust free. I mean, there is dust on the camera itself... some dust might be floating around inside your camera mount... then there is dust on your hands and arms. So there are lots of different sources of dust and I cant even get the outer surface completely 1000% dust free when cleaning it.

These things would really keep me from doing the replacement myself if I would have a damaged glass.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just have a overcritical perception of "dust free"? :D

Best regards,
Florian

Reenal

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 pm

Basically it is the IR Cut filter, without the filter you will have a different color in the video taken which will look reddish. Sometimes the BlackMagc IR cut filter gets damaged, and you will see a round spot on the video taken. The IR cut filter can be replaced. I have done this for the Blackmagic Cinema 2.5K & Blackmagic Cinema 4K. Should you wish to purchase the Filter do let me know. I have brand new IR Cut Filters for sale

tushar

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 7:01 am

I want to buy bmcc ir filter...plz suggest

tushar

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 8:50 am

Reenal wrote:Basically it is the IR Cut filter, without the filter you will have a different color in the video taken which will look reddish. Sometimes the BlackMagc IR cut filter gets damaged, and you will see a round spot on the video taken. The IR cut filter can be replaced. I have done this for the Blackmagic Cinema 2.5K & Blackmagic Cinema 4K. Should you wish to purchase the Filter do let me know. I have brand new IR Cut Filters for sale

plz give ur details...thank u

Whytmedia

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi please how can I get an ir cut filter for my BMPC 2.5k

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am

rick.lang wrote:Robert, always impressed with and marvel at the backgrounds of people on this forum.

Me too, some months ago I found on that forum the developer of first 3d Studio, ones of pioneers of 3d with home computer when 3d was only affair of silicon graphics or other super computer related.

Bmd forum people are incredible :-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Whytmedia wrote:Hi please how can I get an ir cut filter for my BMPC 2.5k

Contact your local BND Support Office. See Jousha’s reply here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86376
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography