New equipment

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Liu

New equipment

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi.
Im filming a lot outdoor, wildlife and such. In a sad accident (rain) my old equipment was damaged and Im in the process of changing to new equipment. My old equipment was big and heavy and Im looking for a lightweight solution. I was first looking at the pocket camera but I just realised that there are the two micro cameras. What are your take on my idea of getting one of them? I have a Video Assist and Im wondering if thats about all I need to get filming again. Also how is the sound, using external microphone?

When looking at the two cameras, is one better than the other for my application?
Do they take cold? (Or other weather well) I live in Sweden and do a lot of winter shooting in -10 -30 Celsius.

Well any ideas and tips are appreciated.
Creeks

David Liu

Re: New equipment

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 4:41 pm

No one?

I know the micro cameras are not available yet but Im still hoping for some tips :)

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 5:49 pm

The Studio Micro is available, and some posters here have had good luck with it. You don't have to buy a new Pocket Cinema, there are lots of used units on the market. They are so small and light I see no reason to take just one camera. Most of the bulk and weight is going to be support, rigging and battery.

Chase Hagen

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 6:33 pm

After looking at BMMCC. BMPCC, and BMMSC they all have the same technical operating temperatures 0-40 C so they are all technically not rated to work in as low temperatures as you mentioned but there are some posts about how to work in cold weather with some BMD cameras successfully, just do a search in the forums. The BMMCC is still not available for purchase by the general public from what I know so you would still have to wait on that one (there have been suggestions that it might start shipping the end of January but "they" have been wrong many times before), advantage with the BMMCC over the Pocket is the 1080 60P where as the Pocket has a max frame rate of 30P, so that's something to consider. Both camera's are incredibly small and light and are supposed to have the same sensor with the same dynamic range an sensitivity, although this has not been confirmed or tested it looks very likely, the BMMCC has a global shutter however so for fast movement shooting the BMMCC has the advantage. Another advantage to the BMMCC is that it uses the same EL-6 Canon style batteries as the V/A, the Pocket does not, however you will need the V/A or something similar to see an image from the BMMCC while shooting where the Pocket has the built in screen (not the greases but it works for framing) so it could be even smaller and lighter for more "run and gun" shooting where you don't want to lug the your Video Assist in situations where you're "stealing" a shot. I personally have never used a Pocket in cold temperatures so maybe someone else can help you about that.

Anders Holck

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 6:59 pm

I've shot several times in Sweden during winter/with my bmpcc. Sure, 15 min battery with the small batteries but apart from that, no issues what so ever.

Display gets slow tho and could freeze. Try and keep it warm.

I assume all cameras will suffer from same problems in these conditions so rather look for a solution to keep it at positive degrees and put whatever camera you like.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
==============

BlackMagic URSA mini 4.6K EF & BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Sony FDR-AX100 & Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Still and video

David Liu

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Well, waiting is not a problem as Im not dependent on the camera for work, I have a lot of other things to do. As we all do.

I know keeping the camera warm is a problem, I have a custom built (home made that is) heating bag from my camera on the cold days. Basically its a thick reindeer pelt camera cover with pockets for chemical hand and shoe warmers. My old camera enjoyed +25 celsius in -35 celsius wether, thats better than me. I will have to make a new one for the bm camera but thats no problem.

The battery and the screen is the downside of the bmpcc as I have some canon batteris laying around and i have a video assist.

Maybe I can mount a gun scope on the bmmcc to get a nice general direction for filming where I should not.
Still that would draw more attention than the form factor of the bmpcc.

Jeremy Shaw

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 5:20 pm

DISCLAIMER: I have not used any of these cameras yet -- waiting for my BMMCC to ship.

Examining the three choices:

Micro Studio - Available Now

The only 4k option. However, higher res means that your low light performance is going to be worse. Given that you are likely to work with available light, something that works well in low-light might be preferred over higher resolution.

Additionally, the 4K requires an external recorder. And external 4k recorders are expensive! If you are only going to record at 1080p, then get neither high res nor good low light performance.

The studio version is, as the name suggests, ideally suited to a studio environment and use with live switchers, external recorders, ample lighting, etc.

Micro Cinema - Available Soon We Dare Hope

Given the lack of beta footage available, some of the following is just guesses based on the performance of the BMPCC. Supports rolling shutter up to 60p and global shutter up to 30p (according to the side of the box -- no evidence of global shutter in the wild yet).

Good low light performance. Better battery life than the BMPCC. Has built in recorder. Requires external display. Intended to be used as a high quality action cam. Has some options for remote control.

Eventually we might see waterproof housings, etc.

While pitched as the ultimate 'drone' camera -- it could be used many other ways. For example, you could mount it in a tree and use the remote control options. Could be a good way to get animals with out scaring them off?

Pocket Cinema - Available Now

Most self contained -- builtin recorder and viewfinder. Waterproof housing available today. Most 'stealthy' as it looks like typical P&S consumer camera.

2-big downsides are (1) rolling shutter only and 30p max (2) short battery life -- only ~30 minutes.

Supposedly the BMMCC and BMPCC use the same sensor. The reason the BMPCC does not support the global shutter is supposedly because it can not dissipate the heat fast enough. All rumors though. But, if the information about the sensor is correct, then we would expect the image quality of the BMMCC to match that of the BMPCC.

For the best of both worlds, you could get a used BMPCC and a new BMMCC. The lenses, flash cards, etc should be compatible with both. (But not the batteries).

David Liu

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 6:52 pm

Good argument and points. I don't think I'll be working with 4k as I would have to spend a lot of money for a new computer or have to live with serious lag while editing.

The camera in the tree is one I have been thinking about my selfe and I figure I could put the bmmcc on a rig similar to what some people have for their bmpcc.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Wooden Camera in the US, makes a specific cage for the BM Micro cameras, they work nice. I have the 4K and use the Video Assist to record FHD (UHD down converted by the VA, so you get a nice crisp video type signal, up to 1080p60. The Micro Studio is a rolling shutter, but it has much better performance than the Pocket, I at first thought it had GS, as skew was barely noticeable.

I have shot in low light at ISO 800, image is still very good, and 1600 is even useable, but dynamic range is less than the Cinema version, as the Micro Studio is video Rec only, no film log or raw mode.

So the choice boils down to what type of image you are looking for, more cinematic or the increased color saturation from Rec 709 Video.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ashok.Vardhan

Cages

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 8:00 pm

When investing in cages for your rigs, these are the most value for money:

Options A:

Movcam (cages, follow focus (manual/wireless), matteboxes, other support gear)
Tilta (cages, follow focus (manual/wireless), matteboxes, other support gear)
Motionnine (cages, other support gear)
Small Rig (cages/support gear/add-on components to your cages)

Options B:

Shape
RedRock Micro
Wooden Camera
Zacuto

Options-A represent the best in Chinese & Korean manufacturing. They are by far the best products I have invested in. My money goes the most mileage in any of these manufacturers.

Option-B mainly represent the best in American/Canadian manufactures, who also make great products but invariably tend to be most pricey when you invest completely in their eco-systems.

Mix and match, based on your budgets, needs and workflow preference.

All the best in your choices.
Last edited by Ashok.Vardhan on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 23, 2016 7:12 am

A Wooden Camera Pocket/Micro cage is $99/$120. and the fixed 15mm rail mount base is $150; while the Movcam Pocket cage with 15mm rail fixed base $325.00, Tilta is $359, while the Wooden Camera kit total is $250/$270 respectfully. Wooden Camera makes a replacement foot for the Metabones Speed booster that locks the Speed Booster to the cage, eliminating rotational play in the MFT mount and will work on the Micro cage also, for Movcam and Tilta, this is not available. Also, the WC cable lock system, while slightly more expensive, offers separate locks for the HDMI and power connections, and several different cables can be used with it, not just the HDMI D adapter cable built into the Movcam cable lock/adapter.

So Ashok, I would tend to disagree with your rating list. However, you can add Zacuto to the option B list, it is more expensive, but innovative and very extensive with their product line up to support the various cameras being used today. However, the Wooden Camera cage is the only one I have found currently available for the BM Micro camera, along with the recently released Hontoo BM Micro camera cage selling for $280. The Micro Studio/Cinema camera which we the subject of the discussion, so I am limiting my options for what is available for these two BM cameras. Pocket camera cage was for cost comparison only.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography