Fair rent price for a BMCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Xtreemtec

Fair rent price for a BMCC?

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 am

I have to make 2 offers for festivals i'm doing this summer.

I need a BMCC for in my crane to go over the crowd.

The festival will be 18 and 19 may in The Netherlands.

I hope arround that time the BMCC will be for rent here. But i have to make the offer now.

What would be the price you guys will rent the BMCC out for? So i have esstimate?

It would be for something along this:
BMCC
(very wide lens) 11-16 or something. (now use a 16-35 on a full frame 5D3)
Some ssd's (arround 2 or 4 hours raw) I have 2x 256 GB Vertex 3 for recording. (use them with my hyperdeck studio in DNxHD)

Many thanks in advance,
Daniel
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Alexandre Hotton

Re: Fair rent price for a BMCC?

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 am

Here is an example.

http://www.photocinerent.com/fr/locatio ... blackmagic

It's in Paris but you CAN have an idea

Eric Santiago

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 am

Up here in Canada one rental price is set to $375 a day with a single 240GB SSD.

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Chicago rental house has one here: http://www.magnanimous.biz/#/tab/cameras that seems about right to me.

MikeC

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't think these BMC's should rent for lower than 5D's. I know up until this point it's been about the price of the camera, but still, you're getting way better image quality, more DR and 12-bit RAW!!! It's definitely worth more than a 5D.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm

MikeC wrote:I don't think these BMC's should rent for lower than 5D's. I know up until this point it's been about the price of the camera, but still, you're getting way better image quality, more DR and 12-bit RAW!!! It's definitely worth more than a 5D.

I think that's reasonable until the pre-orders are fulfilled and anyone can walk in off the street and buy a camera - because then it WILL be about rental price vs purchase price (rather than quality vs availability).
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Tom Sefton

PostSat Jan 26, 2013 8:51 pm

A good idea tends to be just under 10% of the retail price - the rental firm then decides whether they throw in the rig/ssd's/kit lens extras. In the UK this would equate to around £200 per day - the UK also usually runs on 3 day weeks for hire so you would get a weeks use for around £600.

You will probably find that once the camera is shipping more widely, rental prices will drop through the floor and a full redrock rig, kit lens, 2 SSD's and battery pack will be available for £150.

Once we have a full kit purchased, we will try and hire for £175 per day with rig, SSD, batteries and an 11-16 tokina.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 12:12 am

Eric Santiago wrote:Up here in Canada one rental price is set to $375 a day with a single 240GB SSD.

Rent it for a week or so and you are better off buying your own camera. Rather absurd for anyone unless they're in dire straits.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Xtreemtec

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 am

Indeed, if you look at the chicago rental house you get the camera with some goodies for 450 for 5 days. In my eyes that seems reasanable.

I set my price for the offer to 175 a day to the customer. I think that will cover the expences when BMCC are widely available. To hire the unit for 2 days incl shipping cost.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mike Collier

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 8:28 am

My BMCC will go out (unless market proves otherwise up or down) for $375/day

This will include:
BMCC-MFT
Alphatronic EVF
Red Rock Live lens
Red Rock handheld rig
Anton Bauer-plate
Matte Box
Follow Focus
2- 240gB SSD
1- Hytron 140
1- AB battery (offbrand)
AB charger
Pelican Shipping case
Spare power cables for every accessory

Optional:
Shippable Davinci resolve data management & dailies system

Soon to add-
PL Mount
Metabones adapter
Denke Lockbox

This is in Anchorage, AK and typically we try and set prices along with LA and Seattle Prices, depending on where our work comes from (most of my work is LA, so I have to place myself between LA and Seattle). It is possible it might go out for more, depending on demand and availability, but in general, my kit is somewhere in the 8-9K range, which is what a bare EX1 costs (with media) so I am trying to place the cost in line with EX1. The big exception is that lens is extra.

I probably won't send it out without rig. It seems like a waste of time to part out the kit, or build a pelican case to ship just the body. Most of my clients bring camera with them, and those that don't aren't scared off by a bit of kit. $375-$500 is below what they are used to. Also if I personally am using the kit, I won't roll without the EVF, rig, and all the bits and pieces. I need to be quick like a cheetah. Plus I just got the Alphatronic chamois. Its like putting your eye into a silk pillow.

Now we just got to get Fuji to make an MFT servo internal focus lens with doubler that covers at least BMCC for under 10K. Are you listening Fuji? I can replace almost all the full size ENG cameras I subrent if they did that. Thats a typical rental day of more than $1500. The HDX-900 was awesome back in the day, but it could be better.
Michael Collier, II
Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3075740/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Ted Blanco

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 8:07 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Eric Santiago wrote:Up here in Canada one rental price is set to $375 a day with a single 240GB SSD.

Rent it for a week or so and you are better off buying your own camera. Rather absurd for anyone unless they're in dire straits.

Rick Lang

How do you figure that? I am renting this camera from Magnanimous for a big shoot coming up next week. While yes, it is $600 for the week, all I had to do was explain the benefits of shooting BMCC over my Canon 7D to my client and they didn't bat an eye at the additional expense.

Personally, having it available for rent is a big deal, especially since I don't expect to see my October order fulfilled any time soon. Now that I can comfortably suggest this camera to my clients, I can start making some money off of my numerous BMCC specific accessories sitting in a closet. Plus a little extra padding on the rental fee to my client. So I can start off-setting the cost of my own BMCC even before I have it in my hands. For me, renting is fantastic.

It just depends on the type of work your doing, and ultimately who is footing the bill.

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Ted Blanco wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

How do you figure that? I am renting this camera from Magnanimous for a big shoot coming up next week. While yes, it is $600 for the week, all I had to do was explain the benefits of shooting BMCC over my Canon 7D to my client and they didn't bat an eye at the additional expense.

Personally, having it available for rent is a big deal, especially since I don't expect to see my October order fulfilled any time soon. Now that I can comfortably suggest this camera to my clients, I can start making some money off of my numerous BMCC specific accessories sitting in a closet. Plus a little extra padding on the rental fee to my client. So I can start off-setting the cost of my own BMCC even before I have it in my hands. For me, renting is fantastic.

It just depends on the type of work your doing, and ultimately who is footing the bill.

Ted, my comment was in response to Eric Santiago's post about a camera and one 240GB SSD which as renting for $375 a day in Canada. That's quite a lot compared to others places that are including thousands of dollars worth of gear in their rates.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Ted Blanco

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Fair enough, I guess I missed that. At $375 that seems a bit high. Magnanimous gives you 2 256GB drives and the camera for $150. My thoughts still apply about what clients are willing to pay for, but it is a much harder sell at those prices.

Eric Santiago

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 pm

rick.lang wrote:Ted, my comment was in response to Eric Santiago's post about a camera and one 240GB SSD which as renting for $375 a day in Canada. That's quite a lot compared to others places that are including thousands of dollars worth of gear in their rates...

I was going to add a negative about the pricing.

But since I have no control over that, I was just repeating what I was told.

To be honest I've been offered as low as $500 a day for my Scarlet naked.

I guess there is a difference between a personal camera for rent as oppose to a big box shop.

frankarybicki

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

I rented a BMCC and power supply from Lens Rentals. It was $300 for the week. But that was an end of year, 2012, special. The test was a real disappointment. The camera is slow working, like a view camera compared to a 35mm camera. The firmware is really an alpha version. It did not crash, but feature wise it belongs in kindergarden. To be fair, I did not shoot the test with an Apple laptop connected to the Thunderbolt port. But what would be seen on the Apple screen, really belongs on the BMCC screen, if you could see the screen outdoors in daylight. Blackmagic's SDI to HDMI mini converter did deliver video from the BMCC to a SmallHD monitor. A Tokina 11 to 16 did not focus to infinity, wtf? A $90 Paul C Buff 130 watt-hour battery did power the BMCC with a custom built power cable. Shooting was done in raw and converted to Cineform for post work. The camera should do Cineform as well as Pro-res and I expect it will in the future. The most obvious issue: the BMCC development guys at Blackmagic do not appear to be filmmakers.

wro

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 am

I can rent you my camera. More question - PM ;)

John Bauer

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 am

I will be soon renting a BMC here in Berlin, Germany. It's 70€ per day for just the camera. No SSD, no battery.

Some of these rental prices are a bit ridiculous imo. You can't ask so much for a camera that's only 3k.

emdy

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Where is it rented in Canada? I'd love to lay hand's on one.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca
https://www.facebook.com/EquaStudios

Hundo Hill

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 pm

teh wrote:I will be soon renting a BMC here in Berlin, Germany. It's 70€ per day for just the camera. No SSD, no battery.

Some of these rental prices are a bit ridiculous imo. You can't ask so much for a camera that's only 3k.

I agree completely!! As Rick said, at some of those prices you could buy the camera for a weeks rental. These are two of the best prices I've seen anywhere.

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/video/ ... ema-camera

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Bla ... ema_Camera

Due to the purchase price of the camera, these rates seems about correct.

Dumbski

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Camalot Amsterdam has one for rent.

Return to Cinematography