BMCC and Sony A6300 - The Ultimate Combo (On a Budget)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Randall Donadio

BMCC and Sony A6300 - The Ultimate Combo (On a Budget)

PostSun Mar 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Hey all,

So this forum helped me a lot. Not too long ago I was torn between several cameras and as I have mentioned, I needed BM in my life due to loving the color science, RAW and the grading that comes with it. I never hesitate to ask a question and people never hesitate to lend a hand. As a result, I wanted to post my experience thus far with these two cameras and using them together to cover each other's weaknesses in an attempt to assist people in a similar situation I was in.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a professional. I do this as a hobby and I am simply posting my experience to share with others as I want to give back as opposed to just continuously bothering the community for answers to my otherwise mundane questions.

I was torn between the A7SII and a BMCC. Turns out, with the release of the A6300 and it's sensor down sampling 6K to 4K; it was touted as having as good, if not better, quality than the A7SII for video. In-fact, there are several comparisons with it to the FS line. While it does produce great footage, a good lens is required (which I have). In an effort to keep things short, I scoured the internet to find a used BMCC with Resolve at a good price and I got one.

So, for the price of one A7SII, I picked up a used BMCC (I already had a speed booster and several very good Nikon glass such as Rokinon Cine lenses and Sigma 18-35 F1.8) and an A6300 with two lenses.

Let me tell you, they cover each other's weaknesses EXTREMELY well. Not only that, but matching the Sony footage to the BMCC does not take much effort. However, you will mostly be grading the Sony footage to look like the BMCC given Blackmagic's superior color science and skin tones (by far). But the effort to do this, is not much.

BMCC is amazing for using in-studio (for me). It is basically plugged in the entire time I shoot. RAW gives a VERY OBVIOUS advantage in both quality and flexibility, but once the colors are matched, accompanying the BMCC with action video (achieved with the A6300 amazing auto focus), the image stabilization of most A6300 lenses and low noise at high ISO for low light capturing--it makes for some amazing versatility. Then there's slow motion, a few log profiles and 4K.

I mean, seriously, the auto-focus is ridiculously amazing. Most negative reviews about the camera are likely from those using it as a point and shoot. The kit lens is pretty terrible (it's decent for pictures), but with good glass such as the Sony 35mm F1.8 OSS, the imagery is beautiful. However, it requires correcting and grading as skin tones are extremely red even after correcting. Another thing to note, is the noise. It has very little noise even at high ISOs, however, some denoising in the Chroma is required as again, reds seems to seep over into the image.

So, so far, I am loving this combo. If anyone has any questions they'd like to ask or would like to see some samples--just let me know. Again, I'm not pro but I figured sharing my experience could only help others possibly debating the same decision I was. Feel free to give any advise/tips/feedback as I am still and always learning.

Regards,

AdrianSinclair

Re: BMCC and Sony A6300 - The Ultimate Combo (On a Budget)

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 12:30 am

Hello

I have the same combo after my BMPC was robbed from my vehicle during a shoot I purchased the BMVA and the A6300, and I still have my BMCC and I find the footage cuts pretty decent together as well

Uli Plank

Re: BMCC and Sony A6300 - The Ultimate Combo (On a Budget)

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 11:59 am

Any overheating problems with the A6300 on long shots?

My former A6000 gave me lots of trouble with long interviews.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Return to Cinematography