BMPCC as helmet camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Granit Neziri

BMPCC as helmet camera

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 10:26 am

Hello

We are doing a small production that is going to be shot in first person perspective and instead of using a gopro i thought i could use the pocket camera as its quite small.

So my first question is if you know of any helmet mount for the pocket camera. Second question is if you know any idea to make this possible in DIY style ;)

James_Westlake

Re: BMPCC as helmet camera

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 11:08 am

If you can get your hands on a micro cinema camera, that's a better form factor for a helmet cam, plus if you wanted slow motion you have the option of up to 60fps, and slightly faster rolling shutter readout than the pocket I believe (citation needed) so you'll get less risk of the jello effect. You could do with a wireless HDMI so you can monitor remotely however, Nirius make the cheapest one though I can't vouch for it. In terms of the helmet mount itself, the pocket and micro both have standard 1/4 inch threads at the bottom, so any rig not specifically designed for GoPro should work if you keep the rig nice and light, this isn't something I specifically have tried though so can't recommend any particular ones.
The one warning I'd give you is the pocket and micro both have quite bad battery life, so make sure you get plenty of spare batteries and keep an eye on this, or use some kind of 12v USB battery block etc to extend this.
www.jameswestlake.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6235043/

Granit Neziri

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 11:32 am

Thats a good idea actually. And, i also happens to have the Nyrius wireless hdmi transmitter. I will try sell my pocket camera asap and buy the micro instead.

James_Westlake

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 11:53 am

The micro has only recently started shipping, so stock may be rather limited - ring around to see if you're actually able to get one before selling the pocket, but also the weight of the cameras isn't dissimilar so you could use the pocket anyway since you already have one - I'd never recommend buying a camera just for a particular project - if you need something specific just for one film then I'd advise renting. Unless you would prefer the micro as a camera anyway, then it's a different story!
How is the Nirius by the way?
www.jameswestlake.co.uk
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6235043/

Granit Neziri

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Its not my main camera anyways. But ill see what i can do with the pocket camera first.

The Nyrius performs good. The only problem is that not all monitors are compatible with it(when connected to the pocket camera).

Timothy Cook

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 1:58 pm

This production used it just like you're wanting to.
http://hdslrshooter.com/ground-breaking ... operators/

And McDonald's used the concept for a commercial series.
http://www.4kshooters.net/2014/11/27/ch ... ma-camera/
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Granit Neziri

PostSat Apr 09, 2016 2:03 pm

That setup looks to robust imo. The movie is going to be quite intense so the one wearing the helmetcam is going to run/jump a lot. Therefor i was thinking of using a pancake lens to keep the weight as low as possible.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 5:49 am

If you need ideas for DIY, here's a helmetcam we built to fly Red. Tested to work with A7S and BMPCC as well (with less counterbalance, of course).

11987036_883839065036210_7126290420446041192_n.jpg
11987036_883839065036210_7126290420446041192_n.jpg (112.81 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 9:58 am

Kim Janson wrote:wow, that looks like dangerous for the neck.

That's what the medical neck support was for. We tested it on me without one and it didn't feel too bad, but then again my neck is both shorter and thicker than average :)

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Good to see the neck brace. Please don't try to fly with this on a high speed motorcycle though unless you're Ironman as the higher centre of gravity might make navigating through turns very challenging!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 1:04 pm

rick.lang wrote:Good to see the neck brace. Please don't try to fly with this on a high speed motorcycle though unless you're Ironman as the higher centre of gravity might make navigating through turns very challenging!

Good point! I would also strongly advise against performing complex skateboard/snowboard/BMX tricks or any other activities that require a sense of balance and/or involve rapid movements. The helmet in the picture is a scooter helmet in any case, so even without a camera attached it would not be advisable to use it on a high speed motorcycle.

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Granit Neziri wrote:That setup looks to robust imo. The movie is going to be quite intense so the one wearing the helmetcam is going to run/jump a lot. Therefor i was thinking of using a pancake lens to keep the weight as low as possible.

The Panny Leica 15mm lens is light and fairly compact, and has better IQ than most pancakes.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSun May 29, 2016 7:41 am

An update to the old thread - here's a more lightweight solution designed specifically with BMPCC in mind but also able to take on others with similar form factor and weight. We built several prototypes for this project, the best solution was the setup in the pictures with the camera supported by three magic arms and the battery acting as counterbalance.
IMG_6953.jpg
IMG_6953.jpg (91.15 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
IMG_6958.jpg
IMG_6958.jpg (72.46 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
IMG_6961.jpg
IMG_6961.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

Christopher Cox

PostSun May 29, 2016 11:27 am

For a helmet cam I'd consider a Sony RX100 Mk IV. It's very lightweight, shoots 4K in LOG, 120fps in 1080p, 1,000fps (though in much lowered quality), 24-70mm Zeiss zoom lens, built in ND filter.

Its' limited shooting time might rule it out though. That time limit is there to prevent its' tiny chassis from overheating.
Wielding a Pocket Cinema Camera from a wheelchair.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSun May 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Christopher Cox wrote:For a helmet cam I'd consider a Sony RX100 Mk IV. It's very lightweight, shoots 4K in LOG, 120fps in 1080p, 1,000fps (though in much lowered quality), 24-70mm Zeiss zoom lens, built in ND filter.

Its' limited shooting time might rule it out though. That time limit is there to prevent its' tiny chassis from overheating.

For the particular project the BMPCC was just fine - even tested a stripped down version of the rig on my 5-year old son (barebones BMPCC with pancake lens running on the internal EN-EL20, attached with a single magic arm). BMPCC with the Olympus 9mm fisheye bodycap weighs approximately as much as the RX100 but does raw/Prores. During the shoot the Rokinon 7.5mm was used for even wider AOV.

rafaelrobertson

PostSun May 28, 2023 8:15 pm

Granit Neziri wrote:Hello

We are doing a small production that is going to be shot in first person perspective and instead of using a gopro i thought i could use the pocket camera as its quite small.
helmet with camera built in
So my first question is if you know of any helmet mount for the pocket camera. Second question is if you know any idea to make this possible in DIY style ;)

Using a pocket camera for a first-person perspective in your production can be a great idea. While I don't have access to real-time information on specific helmet mounts for pocket cameras, I can offer some suggestions and DIY ideas that might help.

Research existing mounts: Start by searching online or contacting the manufacturer of your pocket camera to see if there are any official helmet mounts or compatible accessories available. Check for third-party options as well, as there might be universal mounts that can be adapted for your camera.

Utilize action camera mounts: Since pocket cameras and action cameras are similar in size and shape, you can explore using action camera mounts that are designed for helmets. Look for mounts that have a universal design or adjustable features to accommodate different camera sizes.

DIY options: If you're open to a do-it-yourself approach, here are a few ideas:

3D printing: If you have access to a 3D printer or know someone who does, you can design and print a custom mount specifically for your pocket camera. There are online platforms where you can find pre-designed mounts that may be compatible with your camera model.

Adhesive mounts: Consider using adhesive mounts commonly used for action cameras. You can attach these mounts to your helmet or create a separate mount using a sturdy adhesive and a platform that fits your camera.

Gooseneck or flexible mounts: Explore using flexible mounts, like gooseneck mounts or articulating arms, which can be easily adjusted and positioned for a first-person perspective. These mounts often have a universal mount on one end, allowing you to attach your pocket camera.

Remember to prioritize safety when attaching any DIY mounts to your helmet. Ensure that the mount is securely fastened and won't interfere with the integrity of the helmet or obstruct your vision.

Before proceeding with any DIY options, it's recommended to thoroughly research and test the mount to ensure it can securely hold your pocket camera during filming.

I hope these suggestions help you find a suitable helmet mount for your pocket camera and enable you to capture the desired first-person perspective for your production.

Richard Knight

PostMon May 29, 2023 12:01 pm

As this thread is 7 years old I think the problem might have been sorted.

Howard Roll

PostMon May 29, 2023 3:00 pm

Richard Knight wrote:As this thread is 7 years old I think the problem might have been sorted.

Somebody is having a little fun with ChatGPT.

Good Luck

Michael59

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 7:15 am

Hello Everybody , I feel I need to add something .. It's sure you know a bit about that practice , a " Helmet Camera " .. , and more than I do ..

But , Always be Conscious that it may be a Great Danger for your Neck , for your Health , and for your Safety .. E=MC2 ... You have a rather heavy load on your head , and it may produce very high mechanical constraints on your Neck .. you always can fall , or get a violent shock , and it might be a Disaster ..

As long as nothing happens , it seems " Ok " .. but be very Careful .. SAFETY FIRST .. Always ..

With my Best Regards from France / Just my Two Euros ...

Mike ..

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 4:07 am

So true!
I'd rather take the shots from a tiny GoPro and make the best of it than supporting any heavy load.
When you break your neck, you're dead. And being paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of your life might be even worse.
There are safer ways of supporting your camera for fast action.

(Yes, I did shoot GoPro when skiing).
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Cinematography