Hontoo BMUM Cage???

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Evan Butka

Hontoo BMUM Cage???

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 8:45 pm

I've been looking for a top plate/handle and a base for the BMUM - I like the original Blackmagic Shoulder kit, but I hate the top handle and I don't like the VCT support under the shoulder pad. I want to attach a sliding baseplate to a dovetail. I looked into Wooden Nickel but the top plate is ugly - a lot of top plates I've seen extend over the microphone which I don't like. I was searching on eBay and found this "Hontoo" brand one. It seems exactly what I want - a short top plate, mounting on the right side of the camera, 15mm support on the bottom, which I could add a sliding baseplate and it even has a shoulder pad. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts? Thanks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hontoo-BlackMag ... SwGYVW9lI0

Ashok.Vardhan

Accessories Manufactures from Asia

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 12:36 am

I have not tried Hontoo yet. However, they were on my radar when I was in the market for a reliable follow focus unit. At that time I was looking to buy either a Movcam MCF-1 or a Tilta FF-T04 (Dual sided cinema follow focus). When searching eBay for the best price, I can across Hontoo (ebay seller: moviejoyfull). I ended up buying a Movcam MF-2.

Among Chinese manufacturers they are one of the most low profile manufacturers (even SmallRig is popular) that aim to offer features that cost way more among the established ones (namely: Movcam, Tilta)

From the pictures their engineering design looks very good. Cannot yet attest how reliable they are on the field. They also manufacture cages.

They have a presence on facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/Hontoo-359156967584835/

Keep us posted on your choice. I am surprised Movcam & Tilta have not yet released their versions of a support cage for the URSA Mini.

Movcam in specific makes really well designed and reliable products, though they do tend to be the priciest among Asian manufacturers.

Return to Cinematography