Survey on tripods and heads

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dan MCcready

Re: Survey on tripods and heads

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 12:16 am

Anyone tried the Libec RH45R RS450 head and Tripod it's got good reviews up to 26.5ibs.

Ikaika Kimura

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 9:42 am

Macksey wrote:Anyone tried the Libec RH45R RS450 head and Tripod it's got good reviews up to 26.5ibs.

I have 3 of these. Personally, I think they're Vinten Vision knock offs. I use them for my HPX370's loaded with CCU and battery. No complaints.

Michael Tiemann

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 1:02 pm

I use Sachtler FSB-8 tripods for my lightweight gear (AF100, EOS5D3) and a Sachtler Video 18 S1 for my BMCC. I also have a Cinevate Atlas 10 slider with a Manfrotto 504 head. The 504 has disappointed me in every way I expected. The only reason I selected it was because it was Cinevate only works with Manfrotto heads. If they came out with a Sachtler adapter tomorrow, I would happily buy it, and I would just as happily throw the 504 into the trash.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Aleksandar Bogdanov

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Michael,
can you confirm that the Sachtler FSB-8 head can be mounted on a flat base sticks?
It says so in the specs ("integrated flat base fitting"), but want to be sure. Most often I have to keep it lightweight and want to have a feb-6 on a photo tripod.

I saw this being asked around the net, but no answer anywhere. Thanks!

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 2:16 pm

It's been a long time since I wrote this original post. I wanted to check in and relay some information that's happened since then.

I had a whole lot of trouble with my Manfrotto 504 head. It did not work very well. During the course of last year while attending a couple of trade shows and ran into the manager of the Video Line. I mentioned the problems I was having and he gave me a card and told me to send him the head. I finally did it. He agreed it had problems and sent a replacement.

I've got to say that this replacement head works really well. It moves super smooth. Now it's no replacement to the Vinten 100, but I'm going to keep it for a B camera. I originally got it with the 546B sticks but have had my eye on the 536 carbon sticks for a while now. A worthy challenger to the Miller Solo's. Very light and with a huge range from low to high.

I should have gotten this done long ago and I want to thank the folks at Manfrotto. They have a good feel for their place in the market and stand behind their products.

tilllt

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 am

i am watching an auction in the *bay* for a miller ds10.
how does it compare this with a sachtler fsb6 / dv6 or fsb8?

i talked to some DOP friends and they told me that i really have to watch out not to get tripods too heavy for a BMPCC setup - i.e. the Video14 apparently can not be well balanced for very light cameras.

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 pm

tilllt wrote:i really have to watch out not to get tripods too heavy for a BMPCC setup - i.e. the Video14 apparently can not be well balanced for very light cameras.

Heads have weight ranges, not just a max limit. A decent head might be able to handle cameras between 2 and 20lbs, whereas a cheaper head may only be able to seriously handle loads from 5 to 10lbs. It just depends, but it is something to consider. In practice it's easier to weigh down a lighter camera on a head desiring more weight, but if you're only ever going to use a lightweight camera in a near naked configuration including lens and battery, then a small fluid head would work best. Of course I've gaffe-taped an iPhone to a Mitchell-base O'Connor cine head and it worked fine, but those heads are the price of a small house. Tension and counter weights are things you need in a proper motion picture head.

From my personal experience the best head manufacturers are Sachtler and O'Connor. Knowing that "you get what you pay for," the best of the prosumer-accessible head manufacturers is Manfrotto. Manfrotto was fine for photography use but for cinematography I find even their best heads clunky, but useable. If I could have my choice of head and price was not at option, I'd choose a Sachtler Video 18 and the appropriate carbon fiber sticks with mid-level spreader and quick release legs because that's what I'm used to. It's very much a personal thing.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

liquidia

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 am

Hi,

Any clue about this combo EI7060H 75mm/3" Half Bowl Video Tripod Fluid Drag Head 15Kg/33Lb And Manfrotto 535 Sticks. my fully rigged BMCC will be around 10kg -11kg.

Regards

Michael Tiemann

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 am

feon wrote:Michael,
can you confirm that the Sachtler FSB-8 head can be mounted on a flat base sticks?
It says so in the specs ("integrated flat base fitting"), but want to be sure. Most often I have to keep it lightweight and want to have a feb-6 on a photo tripod.

I saw this being asked around the net, but no answer anywhere. Thanks!

I don't know the answer to this question. My head is mounted on speedlock 75 sticks that has an integrated bowl. I have never taken it off.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm

i have a cartoni focus that works well but is a bit head light for a loaded bmcc rig. love the cartoni stcks as they are easy to adjust when under load. Miller heads are nice, and the heavier sachtler heads. what i have always done was find a head that is close to or even higher than the weight of the cam I am using. Then on panning and full loose adjustments you are not fighting a top heavy camera to do a quick set.

I recommend trying the different brands first to see how the adjustment control knobs align with your usage. If you are a lefty, many of the heads will give you grief when working. Once you have found a brand or 2 you like, get on ebay and buy a n older set-up. I shoot an epic on a miller head with heavy cartoni sticks....but my favorite is my 25yr old O'connor I bought off ebay for $160. Came with the quickadjust O'connor tripod. Bomb resistant and smoother than a baby's bottom. Everyone who makes fun of it's age shuts up promptly when they operate it...only downside is it can be heavy, but any good head/pod combo for a camera in this weight class will be.

tilllt

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 10:49 am

How can you possibly reach the minimum weight the Video 14/18/20 is designed for with a BMCC or BMPCC?
These are definitely great tripods but they are made for MUCH heavier cameras.

I had the chance to play around with a sachtler ACE in a rental house recently and i must say i was pleasantly surprised. The head feels VERY toyish for it's all plastic design but the panning was really smooth. The question would be how durable these heads are. if you have to buy a new ace head every three years if might be cheaper at the end to go directly for a FSB6 or FSB8.

Marshall Harrington

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 6:49 pm

tilllt wrote:How can you possibly reach the minimum weight the Video 14/18/20 is designed for with a BMCC or BMPCC?
These are definitely great tripods but they are made for MUCH heavier cameras.

I had the chance to play around with a sachtler ACE in a rental house recently and i must say i was pleasantly surprised. The head feels VERY toyish for it's all plastic design but the panning was really smooth. The question would be how durable these heads are. if you have to buy a new ace head every three years if might be cheaper at the end to go directly for a FSB6 or FSB8.
Like what you're saying hear. Looking for a super light solution for a stripped down pocket. Something that you'd never hesitate to grab it's so light. The ACE fit's this category and is really smooth. It would still be nice to find something for a little less $$.

Alexander Arndt

PostThu Feb 27, 2014 7:19 pm

hey iam little late on the discussion, so far for me i can tell i stick this time with a

Miller 3 Stage Solo Compass 25 100mm Head. So for the first place you dont need a 100mm Head, neither 3 Stage, its a matter of what you prefer.

for instance iam going also for a dolly solution that only supports 100mm Heads ...etc etc...

cheers
lex

tilllt

PostSat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
tilllt wrote:i really have to watch out not to get tripods too heavy for a BMPCC setup - i.e. the Video14 apparently can not be well balanced for very light cameras.

Heads have weight ranges, not just a max limit. A decent head might be able to handle cameras between 2 and 20lbs, whereas a cheaper head may only be able to seriously handle loads from 5 to 10lbs.

while this maybe true for some heads, according to my research the weight range for the sachtler video 14 starts at 15lbs.
Previous

Return to Cinematography