Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robedge

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 8:49 pm

smslavin wrote:Latest project for a local modern dance company. I've worked with this group quite a few times in the past but mainly for stills.

I'm editing the actual performance this week.

This makes me want to see your video of the performance. One criticism, unrelated to the camerawork and visual editing. I found much of the dialogue difficult to understand and in some cases unintelligible. It’s frustrating. If this couldn’t be fixed in RX, subtitles would have been a good idea. Given that everyone is talking through masks, I also think that viewers would have no problem with subtitles.

Looking forward to the performance if you can link it.
Image: Fujinon MK 18-55mm, Leica M primes, Pocket 4K

Sound: DPA & Schoeps mikes, Sound Devices recorder

Post Monitors: Eizo 27" UHD, Focal Solo6 Be

Ellory Yu

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 9:00 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I bought the Sigma 18-35 Art original for stills. Started using it on the BMD Camera, and it gave great results. However, I was never a fan of the ergonomics of the still lens construction for video purposes when on the URSA Mini. It's fine on the Pocket 6K. But with the URSA Mini I want a cinema lens, and I want longer focus throw.

Yes, I agree. I use it with the pocket but on the URSA, I have a set of Xeen and Roki cine primes that I'm happy with. They have the longer focus throw, declicked, and manual lenses. Each have their own character too - like I like the softness of the Roki (but not everything is likable) because the Sigma ART is just too sharp.
MSI Raider X99 MB / Intel i7 5280 6 core CPU / 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb GPU / 32Gb 3200 RAM / Decklink 4K Mini Monitor / 240Gb SSD OS Drive / 500Gb RAID 0 SSD Cache/Scratch Drive / 14Tb 7200rpm HDD Data Drive / Win 10 Pro 64bit / Resolve 16.2.7

smslavin

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 2:12 am

robedge wrote:This makes me want to see your video of the performance. One criticism, unrelated to the camerawork and visual editing. I found much of the dialogue difficult to understand and in some cases unintelligible. It’s frustrating. If this couldn’t be fixed in RX, subtitles would have been a good idea. Given that everyone is talking through masks, I also think that viewers would have no problem with subtitles.

Looking forward to the performance if you can link it.

Thanks Rob. I'll take another look at the audio. Had not thought of subtitles and that is something to look into moving forward. Is there transcription software available to make that easier?

I will definitely link the performance when I finish it.
BMMSC | BMPCC 4K & 6K
Deity Mics | MixPre 6 II & 10 II
MacPro flashed to 5,1 and hot rodded as much as possible

robedge

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 9:23 am

smslavin wrote:
I'll take another look at the audio. Had not thought of subtitles and that is something to look into moving forward. Is there transcription software available to make that easier?

Subtitles are sometimes used when dialogue is spoken with a heavy accent. I think that viewers will see subtitles as helpful, rather than odd, when speakers are masked.

There are several online transcription services, but they are paid. You can play your audio to a computer or smartphone and use the device’s voice recognition and something like Google Docs to make a transcript. If you upload video to YouTube, you can also tell YouTube to make a transcript and then download the transcript. However, I don’t know how well these options would work in this case, where the issue is intelligibility of the dialogue.

Maybe when you replay the audio you won’t have the same difficulty that I had, although realise that you know this content cold and your viewers don’t. I suppose it’s possible that others won’t have the same problem that I did, but between the masks, fairly reverberant spaces and background noise I had trouble following what was being said.
Image: Fujinon MK 18-55mm, Leica M primes, Pocket 4K

Sound: DPA & Schoeps mikes, Sound Devices recorder

Post Monitors: Eizo 27" UHD, Focal Solo6 Be

smslavin

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 2:48 pm

robedge wrote:
smslavin wrote:
I'll take another look at the audio. Had not thought of subtitles and that is something to look into moving forward. Is there transcription software available to make that easier?

Subtitles are sometimes used when dialogue is spoken with a heavy accent. I think that viewers will see subtitles as helpful, rather than odd, when speakers are masked.

There are several online transcription services, but they are paid. You can play your audio to a computer or smartphone and use the device’s voice recognition and something like Google Docs to make a transcript. If you upload video to YouTube, you can also tell YouTube to make a transcript and then download the transcript. However, I don’t know how well these options would work in this case, where the issue is intelligibility of the dialogue.

Maybe when you replay the audio you won’t have the same difficulty that I had, although realise that you know this content cold and your viewers don’t. I suppose it’s possible that others won’t have the same problem that I did, but between the masks, fairly reverberant spaces and background noise I had trouble following what was being said.

Appreciate the feedback Rob. I'll make some tweaks this week and see what I can do.
BMMSC | BMPCC 4K & 6K
Deity Mics | MixPre 6 II & 10 II
MacPro flashed to 5,1 and hot rodded as much as possible

shotxero

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 7:00 pm

ALL SHOT ON BMPCC6K

Maurizio_Fenici

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Two projects for a local dance school.
Both with BMPCC 4K

Boscom

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 am

Some low light footage of a halloween event. BMPCC4K

vbutinar

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Ok so I'll post a couple of our projects too that we did with the Pocket 4K.
My girlfriend and I bought the Pocket 4K because we wanted to have a real camera that we could use in stuff that we shot. Unfortunately there's only so much time and we did shoot more narrative stuff but it hasn't been edited and released yet.

A music video that just aired that we shot in September.

You can imagine how hard it was to shoot in these corona times. We had to find biker family people so that they could be in close contact of each other and had to limit the number of people on set.

A short documentary that was partially shot on the Pocket 4K.

Only parts of the short were shot on the Pocket 4K since we got a bunch of footage from the artist himself.

Another music video that we shot at the beginning of last year with only a couple of actors.

We only had 6 soldiers to shoot with and had to alert the PD and FD that we were shooting of smoke bombs and that there were a bunch of army guys running around the woods. They were really cool and came to check out the shoot.

A short film we shot last summer to play around with the Pocket 4K.

This short was shot in only a day and a half and we only had a couple of days to prep and had a bunch of problems in between. But I'm still happy with the result even though I might not be happy with all the aspects of the project. :)

A short TV commercial done this summer.

This commercial was shot and edited so fast. We had less than a day and a half to get there shoot everything and edit it together before the next day so that it got aired on time.

A short social media video for a bar.

This one was done on the fly.

timbutt2

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 am

Clowning Around - Model Video

Latest model video with the DZOFILM Pictor Zoom lenses. Mainly used the 20-55mm T2.8 on it. This is a tad late for Halloween, but oh well. Shot on the URSA Mini Pro G2 configured with the PL Mount and in Blackmagic RAW. Nanlite Forza 300 lights were used with the fresnel attachments and colored gels. Edited & Graded in DaVinci Resolve 17 Beta. Really tested out the new HDR Palette, Color Warper, and other color improvements.

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, Pocket 6K, & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Hulihullut Productions

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 1:04 pm

A short film for Enter the world of Hans Zimmer video competition. Shot with the Pocket 4k. Comments?
Previous

Return to Cinematography