firmware 4.0

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Moore

Re: firmware 4.0

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Juri Beythien wrote:Oh wow,
ok mates, i dont know if that can be possible what i see here, but i have the feeling that the FPN on my UrsaMini 4K got BETTER after the update to BETA 2 :shock:
Even ISO800 is suddenly more useable than ever before on my cam..

You realy see a difference at your ursa mini 4K? You has tryed in low light at 800 ISO and the pictures is without FPN, noise and flicker? Can post here a demo?

Juri Beythien

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Michael Moore wrote:
Juri Beythien wrote:Oh wow,
ok mates, i dont know if that can be possible what i see here, but i have the feeling that the FPN on my UrsaMini 4K got BETTER after the update to BETA 2 :shock:
Even ISO800 is suddenly more useable than ever before on my cam..

You realy see a difference at your ursa mini 4K? You has tryed in low light at 800 ISO and the pictures is without FPN, noise and flicker? Can post here a demo?

Hey Michael,
So i did tests and it is not flickerfree (nearly the same) and the FPN is not totaly away (depending on the angle to the lightsource in lowlight), but much better than before!
Before, i had even in daylightsituations FPN @800 and now i can handle more situations than before with this ISO..
The Dead/Burned Pixel is gone.
I hope that is the first step in a more stable firmwarefuture, flickerfree ISO800 would be glorious :!:
I wish Captain Hook could comment on my experiences, i wanna know if that facts have to do with blackshading/pixelmapping in the software in relation to my gone hotpixel..
Cheers

Adam Langdon

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 12:26 am

will we ever get an option to DELETE files in-camera?
It would save me soooooo much time and hard drive space...
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Kyle Gordon

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 1:24 am

Unlikely, because if you erase a take other than the last one, it causes disk fragmentation, which is a drag on the high bandwidth necessary to record high data rates.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 2:23 am

Also deleting files in camera is not part of a cinema type workflow. Camera operators just record the footage, and do not make calls about which files/takes to delete. You are better off reviewing your footage in a computer in post, then decide on what to cut. Even in film days, the "out take" footage was saved, nothing was thrown out until a project was completed.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 3:36 am

Anyone else notice that in firmware 4.0 beta 2, when changing lenses with the camera on it loses iris control? Camera must be turned off then turned on again to regain lens control. Wasn't the case with beta 1.

Also, the release notes claim that IS should work with EF lenses, but I've still not seen it work once. Has anyone gotten it to work?

I would have gone PL if I knew that IS wouldn't ever work on the mini. (I know there are other benefits to PL mount and the glass that does with it, but image stabilization is quite often useful to have for the handheld doc work I do).
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:30 am

Jamie, what resolutions do you typically deliver?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:38 am

Jamie, you do know that IS only works when the camera is in record mode, same issue on the Picket and Micro cameras with auto lenses. Also the MFT cameras power cycle when changing lenses. May be a similar issue?
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:55 am

rick.lang wrote:Jamie, what resolutions do you typically deliver?

With the Ursa Mini, some clients want the 4.6k raw, some want UHD ProRes HQ and others want HD ProRes444 or HQ. It's different with every gig.

Denny Smith wrote:Jamie, you do know that IS only works when the camera is in record mode, same issue on the Picket and Micro cameras with auto lenses. Also the MFT cameras power cycle when changing lenses. May be a similar issue?

A good thought, Denny. I've got the Pocket too. Recording or not though, IS doesn't work on my Mini with the Canon 70-200 f2.8. I'm going to try and roll back the firmware and re-install. I hope it fixes it. I had gotten quite used to having IS on my pocket.

It doesn't power cycle when I change lenses. The iris control simply stops working and it no longer reports the f-stop. Curious to know the connection there to the MFT cams?
www.cinedocs.com

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 7:05 am

Jamie, When you change lenses (native MFT lenses especially) on the BM MFT cameras, the lens release button power cycles the camera, so the new MFT lens is set to inf. To reference/index auto focus, the Iris setting is also reset. Try this on your Pocket Camera, just press the lens release button while you have a Panny or Oly MFT lens attached, and you will see the camera reset rhe lens.

I was just wondering G if FW 4 rev2 for the Mini was requiring a similar power cycle (EF mount release button not resetting the camera/lens like it does in thr MFT cameras) to get a auto Eaf lens to reset, and communicate with the camera, so you had to power cycle the camera to get lens communication back?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Jamie, When you change lenses (native MFT lenses especially) on the BM MFT cameras, the lens release button power cycles the camera, so the new MFT lens is set to inf. To reference/index auto focus, the Iris setting is also reset. Try this on your Pocket Camera, just press the lens release button while you have a Panny or Oly MFT lens attached, and you will see the camera reset rhe lens.

I was just wondering G if FW 4 rev2 for the Mini was requiring a similar power cycle (EF mount release button not resetting the camera/lens like it does in thr MFT cameras) to get a auto Eaf lens to reset, and communicate with the camera, so you had to power cycle the camera to get lens communication back?
Cheers

Got it. On Ursa Mini 4,6K with 4.0 beta 2, pushing the lens release does nothing. (slow.....) Restart is the only way to get lens communication back. Are you seeing the same issue on the Mini?

UPDATE: So, actually, the behavior is intermittent. About 20% of the time when changing lenses, lens communication is preserved. The rest of the time I have to restart the camera to get it back.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com

Valentin Remy

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:will we ever get an option to DELETE files in-camera?
It would save me soooooo much time and hard drive space...

This ! +1000

BMD, show a bit of love for us run 'n gun shooters ^^
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

dean.lusk

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi,

Regarding the external timecode being out be a few frames...

Is that still an issue in Beta 2?

And is it just a display issue, or is it recorded a few frames out as well?

Thanks!
Dean Lusk
We Are Empire

Michael Moore

PostSun Sep 25, 2016 11:43 pm

When the firmware 4 will be complete stabile and become official version? When i shooting for one project i dont trust to use it and rollback to 3.3 (its BM recommendation).

Phillip Bergman

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 1:21 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Jamie, what resolutions do you typically deliver?

With the Ursa Mini, some clients want the 4.6k raw, some want UHD ProRes HQ and others want HD ProRes444 or HQ. It's different with every gig.

Denny Smith wrote:Jamie, you do know that IS only works when the camera is in record mode, same issue on the Picket and Micro cameras with auto lenses. Also the MFT cameras power cycle when changing lenses. May be a similar issue?

A good thought, Denny. I've got the Pocket too. Recording or not though, IS doesn't work on my Mini with the Canon 70-200 f2.8. I'm going to try and roll back the firmware and re-install. I hope it fixes it. I had gotten quite used to having IS on my pocket.

It doesn't power cycle when I change lenses. The iris control simply stops working and it no longer reports the f-stop. Curious to know the connection there to the MFT cams?

Did you ever get the IS to work on that lens? I know that the IS wasn't working on my 70-200 f2.8 on beta 1, but after installing to beta 2 it worked. So glad to hear that the firmware operates differently depending on the camera lol....kinda like the sensors....

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 2:14 am

I may be wrong, but when I was shooting today, I thought the audio delay was less when monitoring audio. Could be my imagination as I wasn't measuring anything, just an impression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 4:06 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:A good thought, Denny. I've got the Pocket too. Recording or not though, IS doesn't work on my Mini with the Canon 70-200 f2.8. I'm going to try and roll back the firmware and re-install. I hope it fixes it. I had gotten quite used to having IS on my pocket.

Phillip Bergman wrote:Did you ever get the IS to work on that lens? I know that the IS wasn't working on my 70-200 f2.8 on beta 1, but after installing to beta 2 it worked. So glad to hear that the firmware operates differently depending on the camera lol....kinda like the sensors....

After re-installing I'm able to get IS only intermittently. Whenever I change lenses I often lose electronic control and have to power cycle the camera, sometimes multiple times, to regain lens control of both IS and aperture.
www.cinedocs.com

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 7:38 am

That sounds more like a hardware issue.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

joelfrances

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Also, would be good to have an option for 2:1 aspect ratio guides. It's becoming a more common ratio.
Joel

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Uli Plank wrote:That sounds more like a hardware issue.

BMD support agrees with you Uli. It's going back this week for other issues and they'll look at my lens control issue at same time.
www.cinedocs.com

adamroberts

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Michael Moore wrote:When the firmware 4 will be complete stabile and become official version? When i shooting for one project i dont trust to use it and rollback to 3.3 (its BM recommendation).

When the bugs are resolved. There is no time frame. It'll be ready when it's ready.

But based on the 2 public beta versions we should be pretty close. There are not that many issues left now.

Fahnon Bennett

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 11:02 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Michael Moore wrote:When the firmware 4 will be complete stabile and become official version? When i shooting for one project i dont trust to use it and rollback to 3.3 (its BM recommendation).

When the bugs are resolved. There is no time frame. It'll be ready when it's ready.

But based on the 2 public beta versions we should be pretty close. There are not that many issues left now.

I'm just getting a chance to check out beta 2. Is there a list somewhere of the outstanding issues still in the beta? I know my Sigma 18-35 is working just fine now...

adamroberts

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 6:49 am

Fahnon Bennett wrote:I'm just getting a chance to check out beta 2. Is there a list somewhere of the outstanding issues still in the beta? I know my Sigma 18-35 is working just fine now...

Don't think there is an official list of found bugs in B2.0 but there is a release note in the forum stick post that lists what has been addressed.

Any feedback with detailed steps of recreating the bug helps them get closer to a final release tho... so good to get feedback from as many people as possible.

Philippe Metro

PostThu Sep 29, 2016 9:25 am

Fahnon Bennett wrote:
I'm just getting a chance to check out beta 2. Is there a list somewhere of the outstanding issues still in the beta? I know my Sigma 18-35 is working just fine now...

I'm still having a tiny issue with a Sigma 18-35 on UM 4k, beta 2: I'm losing iris control after playing back a clip. Then I have to turn the camera off and on again to get it working.

Am I the only one having this problem? Is it because of the lens firmware?

Ben McAllister

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Philippe Metro wrote:
Fahnon Bennett wrote:

I'm still having a tiny issue with a Sigma 18-35 on UM 4k, beta 2: I'm losing iris control after playing back a clip. Then I have to turn the camera off and on again to get it working.

Am I the only one having this problem? Is it because of the lens firmware?

I got the same thing, I loose iris control on my Sigma 18-35 as well as Sigma 50-100 requiring a restart on the UM 4.6K beta2.
It seems to happen when I:
1. Playback a clip
2. Change shooting resolutions
3. Change from Prores to raw or visa versa

A little annoying for now but at least they work...

Michael Moore

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Unfortunately this version 2 beta of the 4.0 firmware is away to be fixed. Lens error, cards error and anothers errors. Im tired to change every time the firmware from 4.0 beta to 3.3 official when i work at one project. Its very risky to shoot a project with 4.0 firmware, and its Blackmagic recomandation too. Its time for a 4.0 offcial and stable.

chris.white

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Just ran into this issue yesterday with the 18-35.
---
c

Ben McAllister wrote:
I got the same thing, I loose iris control on my Sigma 18-35 as well as Sigma 50-100 requiring a restart on the UM 4.6K beta2.
It seems to happen when I:
1. Playback a clip
2. Change shooting resolutions
3. Change from Prores to raw or visa versa

A little annoying for now but at least they work...

Henry France

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Played with v4.0/2 a little bit this week on our recent replacement 4.6k unit (329..etc). Most hiccups I came across have already been well reported - but I wanted to confirm experiencing these as there have been some naysayers:

- Iris control is really temperamental with Sigma 16-35, often disappears completely after using playback or switching between RAW and ProRes. Only fix is to reboot the camera. (Lens purchased in August so assume it's up to date with firmware - unconfirmed though).

- Increased noise shooting in lossless RAW 4.6k (haven't tested 3 or 4:1) compared to that previously seen in v3.3. Jumping between 4.6k ProRes and 4.6k RAW produces a notable enough difference to see it in the door monitor - ProRes was cleaner. Even working with NR in Resolve proved the contrast in old and new software too, not sure what's brought it on (Someone else has discussed this issue on the facebook group and I know it's already been brought to Hook's attention).

- Blacks/darks look a lot blue-er than v3.3, but this may be in part due to my unsupervised experimentaton with the tint slider.

I've rolled back to v3.3 now for day-today work, but want to do a side by side comparison to show the noise when I get a chance.

Earl R. Thurston

PostWed Oct 05, 2016 10:46 pm

Out of curiosity, what settings are under the third page for the RECORD tab?

I've seen screen shots for the first and second pages (indicated by the dots at the bottom), but not the third one.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Ben McAllister

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 2:48 pm

Earl R. Thurston wrote:Out of curiosity, what settings are under the third page for the RECORD tab?

I've seen screen shots for the first and second pages (indicated by the dots at the bottom), but not the third one.

The third tab, I believe, are timelapse options.
Previous

Return to Cinematography