Offloading (more of)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AdrianSierkowski

Offloading (more of)

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Hey guys.
i know it's been covered before but i'm thinking about solutions for my eventually coming BMCC, and I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA ... A+SSD+Dock

would this work? It seems it would sans laptop (though you'd keep one 'round for verification I'd assume). Just plug in the SSD and a HDD and let it go?

Thoughts?

for reference, i'm on an older MBP which has express 34 and FW800-- so without this my thought would be express 34 daisychain copying.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

i am the one

Re: Offloading (more of)

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:Hey guys.
i know it's been covered before but i'm thinking about solutions for my eventually coming BMCC, and I came across this:

would this work? It seems it would sans laptop (though you'd keep one 'round for verification I'd assume). Just plug in the SSD and a HDD and let it go?

Thoughts?

for reference, i'm on an older MBP which has express 34 and FW800-- so without this my thought would be express 34 daisychain copying.

Only if you have a LOT of time to waste. It does a bit for bit copy, even of empty data. So if you had one tiny file on the source drive, it will copy the entire drive, even the empty space. This is not going to be fast.

Are you looking for automated dock functionality to pull of the data once you've plugged a drive in?
There are plenty of backup programs out there that would do that for you. The only part you would have to hack in is automating the triggering of the trim command to clean the SSD up.

AdrianSierkowski

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Hmm. Damn.
Still; what i'd love to dig up would be a plug in and forget and go back to shooting solution for when I havn't got a DIT 'round with a whole rig.
Suppose I'll have to keep looking; alas.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Joseph Ciccarella

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:Hey guys.

Thoughts?

Are you just trying to get rid of the laptop in this equation? Because what you have can work.

FW800, not super fast but you could get a SSD reader for that. Seagate makes one, I believe it goes under their goflex line but would be fine. Just get a G or Lacie 800 drive and daisy chain the reader.

Or, Sata to Express 34, Sonnet makes one. http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo ... ess34.html

But really, you should sell the old MBP and pick up something with a Thunderbolt port or at least USB3.

Best of luck,
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

i am the one

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 pm

If you want to do a one touch backup from a docking station, then you should get a QNAP NAS. It can read the file system on the SSD, do an unattended backup, and it doesn't need a PC/laptop attached. Oh, and the dock can be either USB3 or eSATA.

There are a lot of models to choose from. Check em out:
http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=822&c=351&sc=514
Last edited by i am the one on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GripworksCo

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 pm

I found a USB 3.0 2.5" HDD dock for $40 at micro center and it works perfectly and is only slightly slower than the Seagate TB adapter (depending on the drive you are copying to).
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com

AdrianSierkowski

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Yes; the whole idea would be to remove the laptop from the equation for situations where power/space are @ a premium (on locations for example-- though inverters are helpful for this). And in truth; if I could get by without having to move computers around all the damned time as we shoot, that'd make me happy as well. I had enough of all that kerfuffle shooting with SxS card (which is what I bought the laptop for originally in the EX1 days).

As for dumping the laptop-- nah, worst to worse i'd go with an express 34 solution. No reason for me to get rid of a perfectly good laptop! (well good enough) until I actually need to. Also I don't ever intend on editing anything myself. I'm not an editor, so I might as well keep my laptop around--at least till it finished depreciating off of my taxes ;)

The ideal would be something where I can plug the expensive SSD into one side, and a cheap HDD into the other, give it to the client @ end of day and be done with them. If I can avoid having to worry about yet another extra piece of gear both in my truck and on my invoice, the better.
I was looking @ that Sonnet and other express 34 adapters as well. I just thought I got smart and found something better ;)

For $50 or so dollars, It may be worth it just to pick up and play with. If anything, would be nice, I assume, to sit on my desk and use to replicated other, older drives-- though a faster/cheaper/better solution is always welcomed (and of course most of those are mutually exclusive).
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Rudy Satria

PostSun May 19, 2013 4:57 am

Hi everyone. Im thinking to buy Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt adapter for loading off my file on SSD. But i have one question here. Im not going to send my giga files to my laptop hard drive. so i decide to transfer the files from SSD to another External HD. And the question is,... Do you think it will work fast loading when i transfer file from SSD using thunderbolt to the external HD using FireWire via my laptop?
Rudy Iskandar

Remo Pini

PostMon May 20, 2013 2:03 pm

rudysatria wrote:Hi everyone. Im thinking to buy Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt adapter for loading off my file on SSD. But i have one question here. Im not going to send my giga files to my laptop hard drive. so i decide to transfer the files from SSD to another External HD. And the question is,... Do you think it will work fast loading when i transfer file from SSD using thunderbolt to the external HD using FireWire via my laptop?

The slowest link will determine the speed of your copy operation, so if you copy from a TB drive to a FW800 drive, you'll have FW800 speed... might as well save the money for the GoFlex TB in this setup...

Better would be to get two GoFlex TB adaptors to copy from TB to TB...
Director | Line Producer | https://grayeminence.ch

Trevor Roach

PostMon May 20, 2013 7:35 pm

I've had to transfer footage on the road a few times, and I've used my old MBP 2008 over USB 2.0 without a problem. It's pretty slow (100 or so gigs can take sometimes 30 mins), but it gets the job done. I was riding in a car on the way back from a shoot, so the transfer speeds didn't kill me.

Art Roberts

PostWed May 22, 2013 5:32 am

I did a field test transferring from an SSD mounted on the original goflex TB adapter (STAE 121) and into my TB equipped Asus G75VX laptop, using Seagate 4Tb Backup Plus HD, also mounted on their TB adapter (STAE 129). The whole test was a fiasco since my laptop wouldn't recognize the TB adapters, cos they are typically Mac based, though I read of someone having connected it under Win 7. However a live recording through BMD Ultrastudio mini recorder's TB connection to the Asus works perfect; recording in Media Express, albeit slight audio delay.

sean mclennan

PostWed May 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Trevor Roach wrote:I've had to transfer footage on the road a few times, and I've used my old MBP 2008 over USB 2.0 without a problem. It's pretty slow (100 or so gigs can take sometimes 30 mins), but it gets the job done. I was riding in a car on the way back from a shoot, so the transfer speeds didn't kill me.

You're getting 55MB/Sec over USB2? That's pretty good actually...

Return to Cinematography