Choosing the right shotgun microphone

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wemrick1

Re: Choosing the right shotgun microphone

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 12:17 pm

Everything is money. Roll the dice on what you want to try. I have a Rode NTG4+ and find it works nicely with BM cameras as well as external recorders. Outside I use a monster wind muff and inside use a boom stand. This mitigates wind outside and echo's inside. The battery power of the mic is helpful especially with BM cameras. I get good acceptable results with a little tweaking in Wavelab or Cubase. Maybe a little run through RX9 for unwanted background noise. I have also used Rode NT1's, Oktava MK319's, Oktava 012's, Rode NT3. In general Rodes are brighter and Oktavas are warmer. On a boom stand I like the NT3 the best, my personal preference. The room mode dictates the choice overall along with the talent's voice obviously.

Videobegin

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 1:00 pm

I keep some vintage microphones but many are prone to RF noise. Among DPA, Line audio... and others mentionned here, can someone recommand a model which resist to a concert hall full of phones ;)

RRRoger

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 6:53 pm

Now I have tried the Sennheiser MKE100 (not so good even for the cheap price)
and
MKE200 (very good) for mid range and complement to my (excellant) longer range MKE300
Previous

Return to Cinematography