Weird SSD issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mragendra Singh

Weird SSD issue

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I am running into this weird SSD issue,
Here it goes -
When I put SSD in and turn on my BMCC it says "No SSD" in the status bar, I turn it off and turn it on again then it says "Ready". Then Just to test it, I turn it off again and brought it back up it gave me "No SSD". Then after another reboot it was reading SSD. After doing it with so many times with both the recommended SSD file systems for BMCC, the camera exhibits erratic behavior in reading the SSDs.

Once it reads the SSD then it records on it fine with any recording formats and playback are fine as well. But the hiccup is just in the initial reading part of the SSD. Wondering if any of the fellow BMCC users has experienced similar issue, and any suggestions to fix this issue is very welcomed.

Cheers
Mragendra Singh
Mragendra Singh
https://vimeo.com/60139299

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Weird SSD issue

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Which SSD is this?

Mragendra Singh

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

The SSD is San Disk 128 gigs

Cheers
Mragendra Singh
Mragendra Singh
https://vimeo.com/60139299

bentoon

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 pm

I have the same issue with a OCZ vertex3 - which is on the approved list.
Any ideas?
Thanks
b

Gerald Menclik

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 am

have you checked wether the ssd can move in the slot? There was a thread about thinner ssd having that issue ..... so if your ssd is thinner than the slotopening you maybe have to put a piece of paper or a piece of a card in, to stop the ssd of moving in the slot ...
Gerald "Nigel" Menclik
www.menclik.at
info@menclik.at

bentoon

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:05 am

Thank you,
There is not much play - I am going to try to connect the SSD to my computer (when the cable comes) and then try to format it on my Mac.
Is this what you normally do? Or are most cards recognized right away?
Thanks
J

Zwarte_kat

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 1:51 pm

I have pretty much the same problem.

When I turn the camera on, often it won't recognise the SSD.
Sometimes it comes up after about 20 sec, sometimes not at all, and I have to restart the camera.
Sometimes it recognises it without issues.

I have the issue with 2 SSDs. The Sandisk Extreme 480GB that is recommended, and a Samsung 510 GB (the new, fast one), which is not on the recommended list (yet, it's too new I think), and kind of thin.

Both disks record and playback without any issues once recognised.

It's scary to be honest, for all I know one day the disks won't pop up at all during a shoot. It's one if the reasons I still refrain from using the camera from professional work. It just doesn't seem reliable to me.

I would also like to know if other users have an issue with this, and if it is a known problem with Blackmagic.
I am already planning to send it back after a current project for fixing the flange distance. I don't want to send it back twice. Also I am worried how long the fix(es) will take.

Any information will be appreciated!
Loving the camera so far though, after I see the gorgeous "Disk Ready" confirmation!
Cheers!

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 4:26 pm

How are you guys formatting your SSDs? Like break it down exactly, including what options you're selecting...

Zwarte_kat

PostMon May 13, 2013 3:55 am

Sorry for the late reply.

I use a mac, and Disk Utility
I choose "Erase", and then set it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
And then I erase it, that's it.

I see where you are coming from though. Often the problem is less when I put in a "Fresh disk", but I get the issues already after shooting a few cuts on the same day after formatting.

My pro work sometimes includes unexpected cuts, shots at events and shows etc.
It can take up to a minute to get my camera running sometimes. I still haven't dared to use it for client work.
Cheers.
Rudy

Zwarte_kat

PostMon May 13, 2013 3:57 am

Gerald Menclik wrote:have you checked wether the ssd can move in the slot? There was a thread about thinner ssd having that issue ..... so if your ssd is thinner than the slotopening you maybe have to put a piece of paper or a piece of a card in, to stop the ssd of moving in the slot ...

This might be my issue as well, will try to secure the care into the cam better with something.

Aaron Scheiner

PostMon May 13, 2013 7:21 am

I've had at least two OCZ SSDs which started erratically appearing and disappearing when connected to a Windows/Linux machine... eventually the drives refused to connect to the host machine, so I sent them back to the retailer and in both cases the drives were replaced (after being tested by OCZ). I have about 12 OCZ drives, so this is a failure rate of approximately 16% . Many other SSD manufacturers use the same technology in their drives (SandForce controllers) so often the issue crosses manufacturers.

simonkn

PostMon May 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Weren't OCZ's on BMCs "avoid" list or have things changed? I know they were on Atomos's "avoid" list as they couldn't cope with the hot swapping..dpi exactly the same thing as here and quitting after a while.. it was causing havoc even with a Ninja Mk1. Sounds like an interface issue.

Sk

migel_prado

PostWed May 15, 2013 9:10 am

Aaron Scheiner wrote:I've had at least two OCZ SSDs which started erratically appearing and disappearing when connected to a Windows/Linux machine... eventually the drives refused to connect to the host machine, so I sent them back to the retailer and in both cases the drives were replaced (after being tested by OCZ). I have about 12 OCZ drives, so this is a failure rate of approximately 16% . Many other SSD manufacturers use the same technology in their drives (SandForce controllers) so often the issue crosses manufacturers.

I think the issue here is more with OCZ rather than SF. OCZ drives have been suffering from some major quality issues for quite some time. Finally responded to their customers and issued an official statement that customers that have experienced the BSOD issue update their firmware to 2.15 which is based on SandForce firmware version 3.3.2. Also, it depends a lot on your needs. If you want speed go with the OCZ and hope for the best. If you want reliability with slightly less performance go with Intel :)

Return to Cinematography