Feature Requests

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Troy Murray

Feature Requests

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 am

I was talking to Chris Pearse, head of Black Magic over in Japan, on one of my past threads about wanting to go from Thunderbolt to Raw, and he said that they are looking at the forum for ideas on future updates very closely. I thought why not start a thread.

ALL IDEAS WELCOME!

Thunderbolt to RAW...already covered this in my last post.

SDI on the BMCC Monitor...why don't we have all the info or atleast the choice to change the info on the screen and access to all of it....PLEASE!

SDI from the Thunderbolt to laptop then out to a monitor....sounds like it would be really useful for people to have this from what I've read and watched.

Battery Meter...It fluctuates A LOT, it needs to be more precise, the increments are just not good enough.

Space Left on SSD...this is a big one for me. I'm an indie film maker and I'm going to shoot a feature on this, this summer. I'm doing a lot of test footage right now, and I've lost some because I just don't know how much. I need a precise amount, not just the flashing. Also at what point does the flashing start...it didn't say in the manual.

Delete from the Camera...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! This would be so amazing. Save so much room, this has to be on the next firmware. It doesn't matter what you are using it for, everyone needs this.

Shutter Speed...This seems like a no brainer.

Format from inside the Camera...just makes people spend more and annoys you in the end. I didn't care, I have an SSD reader, but I would have been so pissed at you if I had the camera and couldn't have gotten the SSD to work cause it needed to be formated. You are gonna break a lot of hearts man.

Audio Meters...would be cool

Some interface ideas...I hate having to go into the menu and then pick out a level then go back and see if I like it. We need to be able to do all of that from the main screen. It's also really hurting my learning curve. I'm spending a lot more time learning it and I find it really annoying. :D

Anyone else?

Randy Walters

Re: Feature Requests

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Once again, no complaints - this camera is such a gift. But there are two things that come to mind in my update fantasies:

1. I know this may be physically impossible, but a full 4:3 anamorphic mode is my dream addition.

2. I love the time lapse mode! Perhaps the addition of controllable shutter speeds would make it even more fabulous. Long speeds for blurred action, in addition to the stroby, stop-motion look.

Thanks!

Tom Sefton

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Audio meters

No black hole sun

Space left on SSD

Delete from SSD
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Tom

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Cineform RAW
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

sean mclennan

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 5:13 pm

All of the above :mrgreen:

Nick Smith

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 pm

All the above are great ideas. I would also like to add two of my own.

1. The ability to add crop marks for different aspect ratios onto the screen since you can't really use tape for that on this camera.

2. Better peaking. It's a really great feature to have, but at the minute the effect is far too subtle to be truly useful, since you can't really tell when something is being affected by the peaking or not.

Sean

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

There's already a 15 page feature request thread. The search function is a very valuable tool.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Bill Rich

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 6:15 pm

My list of software updates..

*Audio Meters!!!

*in-camera SSD formating!

*fix the overexposure clip to black issue

*remaining time on SSD

*ability to turn off all auto-funtions on audio!! remove the AGC and limiters and auto "switch to line" please let us have full manual control of the audio input.

*full compatability with all EF mount lenses.

*Resolve 'mini' software that is a more basic version of Resolve where you can do color grading and conversion to edit-friendly codecs.. but is compatable for lower powered or older computers/laptops..

*Aspect-ratio crop indicators

*easier to see peaking or even the ability to "punch in" 5x for easier focus

*ability to switch from shutter angle to shutter speed

*abilty to switch HD SDI output to rec709 for external EVF's
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

DavidJames

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 7:39 pm

HDMI out of the Thunderbolt port. Software switch from sync with computer to 1080p HDMI output. Cheaper monitors and EVF's.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

pauloo

PostSun Mar 17, 2013 11:32 am

The only reason why I didn't bought this camera was because of the framerate :( 60fps!! I honestly think you would have sold a hell of a lot more cameras if you could shoot in higher frame rates!

Christopher Barry

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 am

- 4:3
- ProRes 444 (2.5K, 1080p, 4:3 anamorphic - largest possible encode from BMCC 2592 x 2192 sensor and hardware/pipe limitations).
- CineForm RAW, though likely require V2 BMCC with new hardware to encode and licensing.

Marcel Beck

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 10:22 am

Cupholder.... you know you want it.

I'd be happy with some exposure tools and guides
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:Cupholder.... you know you want it.

I'd be happy with some exposure tools and guides

I need a 64 ounce frozen beer mug, With wifi!

Trevor Zuck

PostMon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Christopher Barry wrote:- 4:3
- ProRes 444 (2.5K, 1080p, 4:3 anamorphic - largest possible encode from BMCC 2592 x 2192 sensor and hardware/pipe limitations).
- CineForm RAW, though likely require V2 BMCC with new hardware to encode and licensing.

Should get John on here to clear things up for people. lots of hardware limitations.
ProRes 444 in anything most likely not possible.
ProRes in anything higher than 1080p is not possible with current hardware. will edit when i can locate source.
4:3 mode see here: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=240&start=30#p32636
Largest resolution you can get is 2400 x 1350 with current hardware.
Any framerate faster than 30 is not possible. Hardware can't handle it. (Search the forum. JB explains why)
CineForm RAW not on current system.

All of these are great ideas to implement in the next version, but for this one, you'll probably have to scale your dreams down a bit, to stuff like menu features like audio levels, crop marks/letterboxing/guides

For a future model, wireless metadata entry would be great. Or an IOS/Android App for it so you could archive and edit metadata info for a shot log. I only say future model because i doubt you could send that info via a usb, and I doubt the thunderbolt port is designed to access that info. But if i'm wrong please correct me.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Return to Cinematography