Our recent video using the Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marco Solorio

Our recent video using the Cinema Camera

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:20 am

We had a fun time shooting this. It was a quick, all-night shoot, but fun nonetheless. Great cast and crew went the extra mile. It's too bad Vimeo compresses so much, but what can ya do. Cheers to BMD for making such a great camera. Really have been enjoying using it in different scenarios. More to come!

Enjoy!

Edit Add:
Thanks for the nice comments! Very nice to see! Much appreciated.

Just to (hopefully) clear up some confusion or questions... our objective was to severely push and test this camera under severe conditions, rolling shutter and all, not just create a beauty video with a gloss grade. I opted to keep the camera mounted to the Porsche with its tight suspension, to really see what it would do. Honestly, the rolling shutter will always be there, but it's better than what I was expecting.

The image data we were able to pull from the camera is nuts. We have so much dynamic range to pull from, that had we shot on anything else (non RAW), the highlights would have been blown and the shadows crushed. And the detail of course is great too.

So in the end, I didn't want to do a gravy grade, but keep things neutral, with high contrast to reflect closer to what the camera did. My hope was that this would come across to show how much latitude was there, so it's a bit of a rolling of the dice on my end.

More info here on our blog about this video and why we shot it this way:
Part 1: http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=700
Part 2: http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=709

Thanks
Last edited by Marco Solorio on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aleksandr_Oleynik

Re: Our recent video using the Cinema Camera

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 am

Marco Solorio wrote:It's too bad Vimeo compresses so much, but what can ya do.

Put uncompressed Vimeo fragments.

Dennis Nomer

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 am

Man oh man, did you ever NAIL that sequence! Great camera work, crane work, luscious lighting, made the actors look great, loved the hood shot, great staging all around, heck I even liked the music! I watched this over and over. You are going to get a whole army of shooters excited with this clip!

Thanks for showing us what the pro stuff looks like!
Dennis Nomer

Jim Froom

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 11:39 am

Very nice, especially for first time use and in the short time span.

Would you identify some of the shots you did on the sigma and at what F stops.

I'm debating that lens or the Tokina 11-17.
Jim Froom

Soeren Mueller

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 11:49 am

Nice clip! ;)

Hm.. but some mean rolling shutter going on in the beginning.. at 0:40-0:44.. the "car chase" part.
Quite wobbly and especially the blinking lights don't look very nice. For a second I was reminded of older gen Nikon DSLR video :(

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey!!! Sorry but I don't like this video. I don't know why, i mean, i've seen footage from other people or the low light test from Frank Glencairn, that dude from prettysweetmovie too...and of course john brawley and other people who has given footage, and i've seen those footage to have and organic and really filmlike look, but I don't know why this video looks like if it's shot with and iPhone.

Sorry I don't want to offend anybody since they put a lot of effort in creating this clip and thank them for sharing with all the people over the world and finally see a little story (good and funny btw) shot on the BMCC,etc. But it dissapointed me a lot for the look it gives, really as if was made with a cell phone or a cheap video camera. I want to think they couldn't test it good and take the most from this camera since they only have a little time to make it and again I don't want to offend anybody, just I expected a lot more from this clip since I've been following their steps they posted in facebook and twitter.

And lastly that rolling shutter artifact during the car chase, really made me cry a lot. I think my Xperia U is better. (XD) Don't know, I still trust in this company and this camera and I still want to get mine, but I don't know.
Jesus Soriano

Jeggintonfilms

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I echo Jesuan's post.

Technically I thought it was executed very well. I enjoyed the crane shots, close-ups and in places the lighting.

But I have to be honest. Perhaps you weren't going for the "filmic" look but I too was disappointed with the footage. To me it looks like it was shot on a Sony Z series which just screamed "video" as opposed to "cinema" which is what I thought this camera is all about.

I understand if you made a creative decision to give it more of a video look but I have to say as a fellow pre-ordered customer, the visual results did concern me a little.

Obviously grading and post in general helps play an important part in the final look - was this graded?

I guess everyone has their own style and I hope you don't take my opinion personally, however now I can't help but question is this the right camera for me after all?

Jonty
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

PetePolyakov

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I can imagine what can I do with this camera...

Eric Santiago

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:08 pm

PetePolyakov wrote:I can imagine what can I do with this camera...

See thats the spirit.
Once we all get ours, we will all have a chance to show the world what we can do.
Then of course it will be scrutinized in every forum :)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Cheers, Marco! Thanks for creating this & sharing it. I look forward to learning more about the production.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

;-)

PetePolyakov

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:
PetePolyakov wrote:I can imagine what can I do with this camera...

See thats the spirit.
Once we all get ours, we will all have a chance to show the world what we can do.
Then of course it will be scrutinized in every forum :)

yep, 5d mark II never was a compromise, i had to rent alexa and epic cameras for my short films, that wasn't cheap (for me) at all. this is the reason why i'm waiting for bmc. i didn't check how it works, because all the tests that i seen can't be compare with this one for example but i hope it will help me with my production.

Piotr Naumowicz

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll be honest. I was very disappointed with what I saw. It's not just that the image is more like video than film. Acting, camera work, lighting - it's all made ​​me feel like I'm watching a Brazilian soap opera. I'm sorry that I have to use such harsh words, but unfortunately these are my feelings.

What's more, it's not the fault of the camera, but the people who operate it. All other samples showed a pleasant, slightly dirty look. This film looks more like a shot with the iPhone.

Marco Solorio

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for the nice comments! Very nice to see! Much appreciated.

Just to (hopefully) clear up some confusion or questions... our objective was to severely push and test this camera under severe conditions, rolling shutter and all, not just create a beauty video with a gloss grade. I opted to keep the camera mounted to the Porsche with its tight suspension, to really see what it would do. Honestly, the rolling shutter will always be there, but it's better than what I was expecting.

The image data we were able to pull from the camera is nuts. We have so much dynamic range to pull from, that had we shot on anything else (non RAW), the highlights would have been blown and the shadows crushed. And the detail of course is great too.

So in the end, I didn't want to do a gravy grade, but keep things neutral, with high contrast to reflect closer to what the camera did. My hope was that this would come across to show how much latitude was there, so it's a bit of a rolling of the dice on my end.

Thanks

Eric Santiago

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Well BRAVO Marco you showed us another side to this cameras production capability.
I cant wait for the breakdown so I can steal...I mean borrow your production techniques ;)
And honestly, Im glad you got this out there. Its the first of its kind and puts you and your team in the forefront for any BMCC production use.
Keep making images for everyone to enjoy please :)

Marco Solorio

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks so much, Eric, you're very kind! It's tough rolling the dice and putting your neck out on the line, but I opted to upload it, even if the production was to test and push the camera. Thanks again!

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm

my point in my last post is that this clip looks like "video",like a tv show, not as filmic/organic as the other clips i've seen, that's all. I don't want to feel bad for sharing my opinion in this forum as I think this is free to talk, with respect, that's all i've done with my last post. I didn't want to offense anybody, I'm sorry for that but I will never change my view just because someone can be offended.

This test looks like video and rolling shutter is horrible. That's all , I'm not blaming on anything nor anyone.
Jesus Soriano

Marco Solorio

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 7:00 pm

No offense or disrespect taken! Feel free to share your opinions.

For more insight into why we shot the video, why we shot it this way, and post-production regarding it, I posted some info on our blog:

http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=700

Thanks!

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 7:09 pm

I've read your blog. I understand your targets in this test. RS is worse than my cell phone, and DR is awesome. IT just look like cheap video. not blaming anyone!! :)

for me this discussion is closed. I hope you can still share more awesome stories with us, and i thank you for that and taking the callenge.

js
Jesus Soriano

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Hello again, Marco. I have a few quick questions:

What is the resolution of the file you uploaded to Vimeo? (720p or 1080p?) And the frame rate?

If 1080p, did you enable Vimeo's "Allow 1080p playback" option?

What's the data rate of the upload?

Answers to the above will help me somewhat "calibrate" what I'm seeing vs. what I might guess what the BMCC & you did during the shoot & edit.

Thanks again, and cheers.

Marco Solorio

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Peter. For now it's 720p24 HD H.264 at Vimeo's suggested upload bitrate of 5Mbps. Obviously not the greatest compression rate! =)

Marco Solorio

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 pm

And now we have two parts on our blog explaining why we shot at such extremes, this time with frame grabs and detailed info:

Part 1: http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=700
Part 2: http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=709

Thanks!

Return to Cinematography