Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

zigizigi

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

I'm very enthusiastic about BMPC. I need a b-cam for recording many-hours-long live shows, concerts, conferences etc. 50 min per 64Gb is a problem here. Please Blackmagic do firmware update with a codec option with more manageable file size! I realize that many people buy it specifically for 422, RAW capabilities etc, but there are many applications where these heavy streams are WAY too redundant. I really need 13 stops and excellent resolution. But I also need to be able to record for a LONG time with no card swapping. Thank you.

Tone88

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am

@zigizigi, the HDMI output of the BMPC is clean. This means in theory you could connect BM's HyperDeck Shuttle and record to SSD for long record times.

Do we know what output the HDMI will be? 10bit 422 or other?

featherodd

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 am

The extremely high crop factor on the Blackmagic Pocket Camera looks like a serious issue for anyone that requires a wide angle focal length, given the current available mFT lenses.

At first this camera looked like a game changer for ariel multi-copter cinematography, but a 3x crop factor is simply tragic. Such a shame considering all the pro level features Blackmagic seems to have put into what otherwise looks like the first true cinema camera in a mirroless body. Too bad they built with a sensor and lens system so horribly mismatched.

I can't even think of another camera with such farcically high crop factor.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 am

featherodd wrote:The extremely high crop factor on the Blackmagic Pocket Camera looks like a serious issue for anyone that requires a wide angle focal length, given the current available mFT lenses.

At first this camera looked like a game changer for ariel multi-copter cinematography, but a 3x crop factor is simply tragic. Such a shame considering all the pro level features Blackmagic seems to have put into what otherwise looks like the first true cinema camera in a mirroless body. Too bad they built with a sensor and lens system so horribly mismatched.

I can't even think of another camera with such farcically high crop factor.

A large amount of cinema was shot on super 16 film which is the same size......

Hell for a quick list of stuff shot on super 16mm or 16mm;

The Hurt Locker (Mearly an Acadamy Best Picture award winner)

2 seasons of Buffy

1 season of Sex and the City,

3 Seasons of Stargate.

Black Swan.

The list goes on.

It's a sensor/film format with its disadvantages, but its a fair match for the m43 as it'll take adapters for a whole raft of classic super 16mm lenses.

Bill Rich

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 12:39 pm

The camera is what it is.. if it fits the bill for your production needs then by all means order it.. it's a great camera at an amazing price.. if you have issues with the 'crop factor' and recording format. .then this is not the camera for you. This camera has a super16 sized sensor.. this is standard film size and there are plenty of lenses designed specifically for this sized sensor.. If you are sitting in your chair worried about 'crop factor' then you need to take a look at the BM4K.. super35 sensor will get you all the wide shots you want! or a full frame DSLR.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

robgrauert

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

As someone who likes shooting around casually, but is dying for good clean video for post, this is a heck of a camera. I'm psyched. Good on you, BMD.

Anyone know how many minutes of 1080p24 ProRes(HQ) video fits onto, say, a 32GB SD card?

It would be great if Blackmagic provided a list of approved accessories - SD cards, batteries, lens adapters, etc

Hearnia

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 1:02 pm

What cheap-ish S16 lenses look good to you guys for this?
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

Frederic Monpierre

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi !
Just want to know the different shutter speeds available on the BMPC ?
Don't see it anywhere !!!
Thanks

robgrauert

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 1:16 pm

robgrauert wrote:Anyone know how many minutes of 1080p24 ProRes(HQ) video fits onto, say, a 32GB SD card?

I should have Googled before asking. 1080p24 ProRes422(HQ) comes to about 79GB/hr. A few 64GB SD cards should be plenty for a day's work. Awesome.

Source: http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/doc ... r_2012.pdf [pg18]

Vitchub

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 3:32 pm

My question about time lapse mode for the BMPCC is answered in this video by Jared Abrams (at 1:04):

The camera DOES come with time lapse mode (same one as the BMCC with firmware 1.2). ProRes HQ only for the moment, as the camera apparently will not ship with CinemaDNG RAW capabilities; that will come with firmware upgrades...Blackmagic guys, correct me if I'm wrong please.
And I'd add to my wish list an advanced time lapse mode with more intervals, longer shutter speeds and bulb ramping and bracketing capabilities. I see a huge potential for the BMPCC as a great portable mirrorless time lapse camera, despite its sensor size (considering the RAW upgrade).

Vitchub

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Dofray wrote:Hi !
Just want to know the different shutter speeds available on the BMPC ?
Don't see it anywhere !!!
Thanks

If the BMPCC ships with the same firmware as the BMCC, the shutter speeds (or rather shutter angles) are:

360 = 1/24
270 = 1/32
180 = 1/48
178.8 = 1/50
144 = 1/60
90 = 1/96
72 = 1/120
45 = 1/198

*Taken from EOSHD website, more on BMCC shutter angles here: http://www.eoshd.com/content/8603/blackmagic-cinema-camera-shutter-angles-explained

Frederic Monpierre

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 pm

@ Vitchub

Thanks.
But, waiting for confirmations.
:)

Manu Gil

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 am

I like 3 cameras bmcc bmpcc and bmpc. Thanks blackmagic. ;)

featherodd

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 am

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:A large amount of cinema was shot on super 16 film which is the same size......

It's a sensor/film format with its disadvantages, but its a fair match for the m43 as it'll take adapters for a whole raft of classic super 16mm lenses.

Oh snaps, I forgot about c-mount lenses. Any of the 2/3" and 1" models should cover this sensor size perfectly! I retract my previous concerns about a lack of wide angle options. This camera really does look incredible!!

Sean

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 am

featherodd wrote:
Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:A large amount of cinema was shot on super 16 film which is the same size......

Oh snaps, I forgot about c-mount lenses. Any of the 2/3" and 1" models should cover this sensor size perfectly! I retract my previous concerns about a lack of wide angle options. This camera really does look incredible!!

Brawley said that 2/3" would be a smidge too small.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Graham Parker

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 1:53 am

featherodd wrote:

That's fantastic! How wide do you think we can get with a 1" model?

Sorry to ask a newbie question but is there anything to watch out for specs wise when looking for c-mount lenses? Thanks!
http://levelup.geek.nz/ - Rental Gear for New Zealand

monkeyjimmyboy

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 am

monkeyjimmyboy wrote:looks really nice, but does it have in-built image stabilisation? Or for that matter, if lens-housed image stabilisation would work on this?

Without image stabilisation, and with a crop factor of x3, this would render the camera useless with most compatible Micro 43 lenses, unless you are carrying a heavy, good quality tripod, or some other huge stabilisation apparatus, - making this camera a lot less portable than this article is making out.

Can someone please shed some light on this subject?

I saw somewhere quite obscure somewhere on the interweb, that it does in fact support lens-housed image stabilisation, so it's looking interesting.

Vitchub

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 2:22 am

Christine and Blackmagic Design forum people:
It is time to read through this thread and prepare a FAQ on the Pocket Cinema Camera.
I bet not all of you are busy at NAB!
PS: This new camera rocks! I pre-ordered mine already from Adorama.
Please please please, do ship it in July, 2013!

dflores2

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 am

What do you guys think would be the best site to pre-order from? I just want to make sure if theres a small supply of these, the best sites will receive the most quantities. Would hate to wait a while :\

Vitchub

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 am

dflores2 wrote:What do you guys think would be the best site to pre-order from? I just want to make sure if theres a small supply of these, the best sites will receive the most quantities. Would hate to wait a while :\

It depends where you live? USA, UK? Continental Europe, Australia?
For my previous experience with the BMCC (2012), and as a resident in North America (Mexico to be exact), I pre-ordered it from B&H on July 2012, and got it mid-March 2013. I know people who pre-ordered from Adorama on January 2013, got them late february...
I pre-ordered the Pocket Cinema Camera today from Adorama based on that knowledge, but that's just me.

Erik Swan

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 am

Do you guys think this would be a good option for an ultra-wide?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-Fujinon-TV ... 1c31341154

If I did my math correct, would give an ~10.4mm equivalent on APS-C DSLR's, even wider than the Tokina 11-16 at its widest (5.5mm * 3.02 = 16.61mm Full Frame equivalent / 1.6 = 10.38mm APS-C equivalent).

Almost tempted to snag it right now. Anybody know what sort of image quality can be expected from these types of lenses? How do they compare to modern DSLR or cinema lenses in terms of color, chromatic aberration, distortion, etc.? I know every lens is different but in general would I be better off waiting for Metabones Speedbooster or picking up the Panasonic 7-14 (which would give 13.2mm equivalent on APS-C, which I guess is within the Tokina's range and still pretty wide, if I'm doing the math right).

Julian

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 am

Erik, you have to find out what sensor size that lens is made for. Many C-mount lenses are made for smaller sensors. I'd doubt if a 5.5mm lens would work in a S16mm sensor. Probably it's for smaller chips.

For other lenses, it's easiest to calculate to fullframe equivalent.
3x crop on the S16 sensor, 2.1x crop with the M43 Speed Booster (whenever it comes...)

So the Tokina 11-16mm would be 33-48mm or 23-33,5mm (f/2) with Speed Booster. You can go wider with the Sigma 8-16mm!

JimTrailer

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

Vitchub wrote:
dflores2 wrote:What do you guys think would be the best site to pre-order from? I just want to make sure if theres a small supply of these, the best sites will receive the most quantities. Would hate to wait a while :\

For my previous experience with the BMCC (2012), and as a resident in North America (Mexico to be exact), I pre-ordered it from B&H on July 2012, and got it mid-March 2013. I know people who pre-ordered from Adorama on January 2013, got them late february...
I pre-ordered the Pocket Cinema Camera today from Adorama based on that knowledge, but that's just me.

First post and it's a question!

Does anyone have any suggestionsas to where would be a good place to pre-order from in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Iain Philpott

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 am

Trailer wrote:
Vitchub wrote:

First post and it's a question!

Does anyone have any suggestionsas to where would be a good place to pre-order from in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

CVP
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.ph ... camera_mft

Production Gear
http://www.videogear.co.uk/index.php?_a ... uctId=4789

PLUS! Whose PL Mount adapter for vintage S16 glass would you recommend?

Thanks!

spike

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am

CVP would be a mistake IMO. They are very good, but they would have far too many preorders to be able to fulfil them all. Go with somewhere smaller, like 3dbroadcast.co.uk, for example.
BMD products: -
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo
Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:09 am

spike wrote:CVP would be a mistake IMO. They are very good, but they would have far too many preorders to be able to fulfil them all. Go with somewhere smaller, like 3dbroadcast.co.uk, for example.

The declared BMD distribution policy is based on 2 things, when the distributor places the order with them and the size of said order. This mean larger places get more cameras and earlier.

spike

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 am

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:
spike wrote:CVP would be a mistake IMO. They are very good, but they would have far too many preorders to be able to fulfil them all. Go with somewhere smaller, like 3dbroadcast.co.uk, for example.

The declared BMD distribution policy is based on 2 things, when the distributor places the order with them and the size of said order. This mean larger places get more cameras and earlier.

Tell that to people who ordered at CVP (Me) and are still waiting! Someone from here ordered from 3dbroadcast a month after me and got his camera first. One thing I have learnt is to take anything said or written by BMD with a grain of salt!
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

spike wrote:
Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:

Tell that to people who ordered at CVP (Me) and are still waiting! Someone from here ordered from 3dbroadcast a month after me and got his camera first. One thing I have learnt is to take anything said or written by BMD with a grain of salt!

There are a number of explanations that cover that. Among them are that even the best retailers in my experience are going to bend the truth at some point to get the sale. CVP after all claimed to be getting the first cameras....

I can't think of a single retailer/reseller that I've managed to rack up more than a few orders with that haven't caused me issues somewhere.

spike

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:42 am

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:Tell that to people who ordered at CVP (Me) and are still waiting! Someone from here ordered from 3dbroadcast a month after me and got his camera first. One thing I have learnt is to take anything said or written by BMD with a grain of salt!

There are a number of explanations that cover that. Among them are that even the best retailers in my experience are going to bend the truth at some point to get the sale. CVP after all claimed to be getting the first cameras....

I can't think of a single retailer/reseller that I've managed to rack up more than a few orders with that haven't caused me issues somewhere.

OK, if I recall it was jigsaw24 that stated they would be the first to get the camera's and not CVP. Secondly CVP are a reliable company... I have dealt with them a lot and do their best to satisfy their customers.

Now - for you to say its the retailers fault and that THEY are lying is UNBELIEVABLE. BMD have done nothing but LIE about product lanches going all the way back to the original ATEM lanches with regards of their "launch dates" yet here you are stating that, no it's not BMD's fault but the retailers. Wow... just WOW. I don't want to call you a fanboy, but boy you sure are acting like one.

I swear people have blinders on when it comes to this company. Yes they are trying to release a product at an unheard of price. That's great. It really is, but please stop defending their abhorrent launches and lies.
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Cinimod

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi guys,

can someone clarify please, if we use a super 16 lens like the arri bayonet or arri standard 16mm or pl lens, etc ... does it mean we get the actual lens millimeters?

like if I use a 10mm lens do I get 10mm, or there's a 'crop' multiplier I need to include in my maths

also

same questions for c lens

thanks!!!!!

adamroberts

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Erik Swan wrote:If I did my math correct, would give an ~10.4mm equivalent on APS-C DSLR's, even wider than the Tokina 11-16 at its widest (5.5mm * 3.02 = 16.61mm Full Frame equivalent / 1.6 = 10.38mm APS-C equivalent).

I believe you are doing the math wrong.

Focal length is a mathematical standard. It has nothing to do with the sensor size.

5.5mm C-mount would be 5.5mm on a Full Frame DSLR. It would however not cover the sensor as it's designed for a much smaller sensor.

Putting that 5.5mm on an ASP-C or Super35 camera would give you the equivalent field of view as if you were using about an 8.8mm on a Full Frame DSLR. (1.6x Crop Factor)

Putting that lens on a Super16mm camera would give you the equivalent field of view as if you were using about a 16.5mm on a Full Frame DSLR. (3x Crop Factor)

So that lens on the BMPC would be like shooting with a 16mm on a Full Frame and 10mm (corrected) in a Super35mm.
Last edited by adamroberts on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Regenthal

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 4:03 pm

I placed a pre-order and, given the experience of the past year, expect that, failing a tsunami (or similar catastrophic event) BM will deliver this camera pretty much on time. Makes no difference to me if it’s late because it is an additional camera for me, not a replacement.

As far as what retailer gets them first, I’d bet that depends on which leg of FED-EX (or whomever) is faster. To get sucked into the “who do I order from, yadda-yadda, is total madness (IMHO) I don’t book work based on equipment that I *might* have. When retailers start publishing a standing list, then you will know where you stand (don’t hold your breath). It’s simply not in their interest to tell you that you are #863, and BlackMagic has nothing to do with this.

Lenses? Oh that’s easy . . . I’ll just rely on the engineers involved in this project who are eminently well qualified to figure this stuff out (or at least more so than most of us). Starting with any/many of the Panasonic or Olympus lenses that will actually work with this camera, and then go from there.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Erik Swan

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 5:34 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Erik Swan wrote:If I did my math correct, would give an ~10.4mm equivalent on APS-C DSLR's, even wider than the Tokina 11-16 at its widest (5.5mm * 3.02 = 16.61mm Full Frame equivalent / 1.6 = 10.38mm APS-C equivalent).

I believe you are doing the math wrong.

Focal length is a mathematical standard. It has nothing to do with the sensor size.

5.5mm C-mount would be 5.5mm on a Full Frame DSLR. It would however not cover the sensor as it's designed for a much smaller sensor.

Putting that 5.5mm on an ASP-C or Super35 camera would give you the equivalent field of view as if you were using about an 8.8mm on a Full Frame DSLR. (1.6x Crop Factor)

Putting that lens on a Super16mm camera would give you the equivalent field of view as if you were using about a 16.5mm on a Full Frame DSLR. (3x Crop Factor)

So that lens on the BMPC would be like shooting with a 16mm on a Full Frame and 25mm in a Super35mm.

Actually, I think I'm doing the math right. We've both got the same result for a Full Frame - putting the 5.5 millimeter on a super 16-sized sensor gives the equivalent field of view as if using a 16.5mm lens on a Full Frame DSLR. However, I believe you're wrong when you say it would be equivalent to a 25mm lens on Super35/APS-C. This would mean that the Super35 format is larger than a Full Frame DSLR, which it's not.

The correct calculation is 5.5mm * 3x crop factor = 16.5mm equivalent field of view on full frame. Then assuming we have a 16.5mm lens on a full frame DLSR (same FOV as the 5.5mm on Super16), what lens do we need to get the same FOV on APS-C/Super35? Well, those are 1.6x crop factor, so divide by 1.6 x, and you get:

16.5mm / 1.6x crop factor = 10.3mm equivalent field of view on APS-C. This can be confirmed by using Abelcine's FOV tool, which shows a 2x crop factor from APS-C to Super-16 (so, 2 * 5.5mm = 11mm, close to what we calculated).

So, a 5.5mm lens on Super-16 is equivalent to a 10.3mm/11mm lens on an APS-C DSLR like the T3/4/5i or 7D. However, Julian brought up a good point that that 5.5mm sensor I was looking at may have been designed for a smaller sensor, not 1", so it might not cover the pocket cinema camera's sensor.

This means our next best option (actually, pretty much only modern option) would likely be the Panasonic 7-14mm micro 4/3. Unfortunately it's f/4.0. This would give an equivalent FOV of:

7mm * 3x = 21mm for Full Frame
7mm * (3x/1.6x) = 13.1mm equivalent for APS-C

Not bad I guess, that's wide enough for me for pretty much everything. Would be nice to find something faster than f/4 though.

adamroberts

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Erik Swan wrote:
adamroberts wrote:Actually, I think I'm doing the math right. We've both got the same result for a Full Frame...
This would mean that the Super35 format is larger than a Full Frame DSLR, which it's not.

Sorry Erik, you are correct. My last line is wrong. It should be 16mm FF and 10mm Super35/ASP-C.

:-)

Nikolay Kushnar

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

:?

Why don't we just wait for more official info.

EricCosh

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:03 pm

Just ordered my BMPCC yesterday as a compliment to my BMCC. Have a quick question. What Lumix lens is shown on the camera and also, will I be able to go directly into FCPX with my SD card or will I first have to go into Resolve like my BMCC?

Thanks,
eric

theoldjerry

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi Christine, I was reading about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I was wondering if there was any sample footage of the camera's performance and so on.?

Thanks in advance

theoldjerry

adamroberts

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm

ericcosh wrote:...will I be able to go directly into FCPX with my SD card or will I first have to go into Resolve like my BMCC?

Eric, it shoots in ProRes which is a native editing codec for FCPX. Simply import the files as you would any other QuickTime files. Nice and simple. :-)

When they add compressed RAW you will need to process the RAW files first.

EricCosh

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks Adam. Can't wait for that camera. I have a feeling that a lot of older Micro 4/3'ds will be eaten up on Ebay very quickly.

warmly,
eric

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 pm

theoldjerry wrote:Hi Christine, I was reading about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I was wondering if there was any sample footage of the camera's performance and so on.? ...

Not yet, but promised to be available "soon".

See the very last line of John Brawley's detailed article about the BMPCCC:
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... e-orginal/

nugat

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 am

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:any idea what crop factor does this camera have?

S35:S16=2:1
So the "normal" 32mm lens on the Super35 has the equivalent of 16mm lens on Super16.

hnetuhaus

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 am

Here's a thought. Since the Pocket Cinema Camera has a smaller image area than regular Micro 4/3 cameras and all Micro 4/3 lenses will in effect gain an increase in focal length when used on this camera I wonder if a specially designed regular 4/3 > Micro 4/3 Metabones Speed Booster adapter for use with this camera wouldn't be an awesome accessory?

If my thinking is correct it would allow the use of all the regular old 4/3 lenses such as the fast Olympus f2 zooms like the 14-35 and 35-100, make them faster still and allow a somewhat similar field of view and depth of field control as if using them on regular size 4/3 sensors. Raw shooting capability AND shallow depth of field capability in a pocket camera. Wouldn't that be something?

Of course I'm thinking hypothetically since Metabones doesn't make any such 4/3>m4/3 Speed Booster. It would probably be possible due to the increased flange distance of the 4/3 lenses but would not make any sense for use on regular Micro 4/3 cameras due to the smaller image it would produce. Would be great for the Pocket Cinema Camera though. Maybe if it becomes enormously popular it may become economically feasible to produce.

thw777

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a canon DSLR user, being new to the world of cinematography, I would like to know its compatibility to canon's EF mount. Are there adapters that I can use to mount my EF lens onto it? What exactly are the differences between MFT and EF lens? I am a newbie in this, please shed some light:)

Thank you!

AOVISUALS

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 2:25 pm

romulo

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 5:10 pm

thw777 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm a canon DSLR user, being new to the world of cinematography, I would like to know its compatibility to canon's EF mount. Are there adapters that I can use to mount my EF lens onto it? What exactly are the differences between MFT and EF lens? I am a newbie in this, please shed some light:)

Thank you!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4651

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Vitruvius wrote:
Sean wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:[quote="ckmayeux"]

I believe it was said to have a 1.3x crop factor

to the BMCC, yes.

But to the Full Frame?

2.4 x 1.3 = 3.12

I've heard it was 3.0 but cannot verify this.

I did the calcs on the crop factor based on the sensor diagonal.

It is 3.02 from Full Frame and 1.43 from M43 sensor.

So even the wide Oly 9-18mm lens on this camera is only 27-54mm. But the Pana 7-14mm might be OK for wide shots at equivalent 21-42mm.

Diagonal of 24x36 = 43.27
Diagonal of M43 = 20.42
Diagonal of BlackMagic = 14.32

Since all the cameras we are interested in here shoot in a 16:9 aspect ratio, you need to compare apples to apples. So it's easy to calculate the crop factor by merely comparing the horizontal dimension of each sensor. Comparing to the diagonal on a full-frame sensor with a 3:2 aspect ratio frame in my mind isn't correct. But you can use the 36mm horizontal length and divide that by the length of the Blackmagic camera sensors. The result for the BMPCC is then 2.99x as I recall. And the BMPC4K is 1.70x.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Erik Swan wrote:
adamroberts wrote:Actually, I think I'm doing the math right. We've both got the same result for a Full Frame...
This would mean that the Super35 format is larger than a Full Frame DSLR, which it's not.

Sorry Erik, you are correct. My last line is wrong. It should be 16mm FF and 10mm Super35/ASP-C.

:-)

Splitting hairs so forgive me for being too precise but if you're talking about the BMPC4K (in this tread about the BMPCC), the crop factor on the BMPC4K sensor is 1.70x compared to full-frame. I don't seem to get any respect here as I've been repeating the mantra in several posts. 36mm divided by 21.12mm is 1.70.

Regardless of what BMD's marketing team wants to call their new sensor, it is actually slightly smaller than the Canon APS-C sized sensor. Still I have no doubts, the BMPC4K will produce beautiful bokeh and look very cinematic and stand up well against those other companies' S35 cameras.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Taikonaut

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:59 am

rick.lang wrote:
Splitting hairs so forgive me for being too precise but if you're talking about the BMPC4K (in this tread about the BMPCC), the crop factor on the BMPC4K sensor is 1.70x compared to full-frame. I don't seem to get any respect here as I've been repeating the mantra in several posts. 36mm divided by 21.12mm is 1.70.

Regardless of what BMD's marketing team wants to call their new sensor, it is actually slightly smaller than the Canon APS-C sized sensor. Still I have no doubts, the BMPC4K will produce beautiful bokeh and look very cinematic and stand up well against those other companies' S35 cameras.

Rick Lang

Nikon is 1.5 crop and they also call that APS-C and I guess likewise BMPC is call a S35 while it is not as big it is close enough just like Sony F55 whose S35 is much closer to BMPC. I don't know at which point they would call it something else.

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 am

Taikonaut wrote:Nikon is 1.5 crop and they also call that APS-C and I guess likewise BMPC is call a S35 while it is not as big it is close enough just like Sony F55 whose S35 is much closer to BMPC. I don't know at which point they would call it something else.

You are right. It's just a marketing term for BMD and we accept it because it is close enough. APS-C just doesn't excite people the way S35 does, even when Canon and Nikon APS-C are both larger sensors. I think the BMD reps continually refer to it as a 35mm sensor whatever that's supposed to mean. They clearly want it to sink into your subconscious, that the BMPC is every bit a cinema camera.

I hope you don't think I'm complaining by trying to keep the dialogue about the new camera sensors factual. I am completely a fan of what BMD are doing with the technology and the price of entry for both production and post.

Like many here that probably will purchase the BMPC4K, even their little pocket camera has us salivating with the quality they have packed into something that looks like a point-and-shoot camera (at least until you mount it on a rig with a long PL mount lens). Many people have commented how perfect the BMPCC will be to record personal events, family, the cats, things that happen when they're relaxing and away from work. And yet we know it will produce great results for indie filmmakers too.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Taikonaut

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 am

rick.lang wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:Nikon is 1.5 crop and they also call that APS-C and I guess likewise BMPC is call a S35 while it is not as big it is close enough just like Sony F55 whose S35 is much closer to BMPC. I don't know at which point they would call it something else.

You are right. It's just a marketing term for BMD and we accept it because it is close enough. APS-C just doesn't excite people the way S35 does, even when Canon and Nikon APS-C are both larger sensors. I think the BMD reps continually refer to it as a 35mm sensor whatever that's supposed to mean. They clearly want it to sink into your subconscious, that the BMPC is every bit a cinema camera.

I hope you don't think I'm complaining by trying to keep the dialogue about the new camera sensors factual. I am completely a fan of what BMD are doing with the technology and the price of entry for both production and post.

Like many here that probably will purchase the BMPC4K, even their little pocket camera has us salivating with the quality they have packed into something that looks like a point-and-shoot camera (at least until you mount it on a rig with a long PL mount lens). Many people have commented how perfect the BMPCC will be to record personal events, family, the cats, things that happen when they're relaxing and away from work. And yet we know it will produce great results for indie filmmakers too.

Rick Lang

The sensor supplier, probably CMOSIS, refer to it as S35 so it is not a BMD thing.
It is probaby because it was close enough just as Nikon and Canon has different crops but both APS-C.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography