You want satisfied customers. Earn it.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
Dumbski

You want satisfied customers. Earn it.

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 1:49 am

First of all i want to say that i appreciate the fact BM is changing the camera market, and setting the benchmark. I like the fact that BM is showing they mean business and have a plan.
But just remember that the people here are interested in making content, and that whatever awesome specs you put on these new camera's, you can not keep repeating the 'look at this cool stuff' without delivering what you promise.
And by that i mean, showing off at shows, putting up wonderfull photo's and specs, while not being able to supply many people (especially in Europe) with a first version of your camera, a full year after the introduction. And i'm not even talking about after sales information, cos we all know that is lacking.

You put up specs for this 4 k camera, while you are not mentioning that raw is a feature that might come later. You leave it up to Mr. JB to sort of hint that this will be the case. 12 Stops ? Even JB stays vague on that, as it is all under construction. Yet you trust again that pre-orders will come. As it all sound to good to be true, i put a pre-order in again, even though after a year i do not have the pleasure of owning a wonderful BMCC. Marketing again outperforms reality.

BM is in such a rush to win this camera war they started and i can understand that. I again did fall for the new things you 'plan' to bring. I hope you do. Honestly. But if you fail short of any of these specs, or the delivery date you put out, i will cancel my order(s) immediately and will only come back to check you out once you sorted it all out. Specs , testfootage as awesome as your adds tell us it is going to be, and last but not least ON TIME delivery. Make it work. Im getting fed up with the marketting bull and the marketshare rush. Build it, prove it, and deliver. You want satisfied customers, EARN IT.

MartinYernazian

Re: You want satisfied customers. Earn it.

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 am

+1
Martin Yernazian
www.imdb.com/name/nm2270693/
Director/Producer
www.atorrantefilms.com

Joe Gonzalez

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:34 am

Satisfied customer right here!
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

David Regenthal

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 am

I gotta say . . . The worst part of this entires process (speaking only for myself) has been having to read through all the complaining, trash talk, and accusations. Honestly, the are a few here in this forum that have taken it to an art.

Let's make one thing perfectly clear, shall we?
You have the right to complain.
You also have the option to place a pre-order but that's a business decision you get to make.
It's an agreement you have made with a retailer of your choice and has no effect on BlackMagic . . .
They're not involved, don't get to sit on your money and probably don't give a . . . a . . . hoot.
I always laugh at the threats to cancel your pre-order. Like that's going to cause a ripple in "the Force?"
Go ahead!

And then there's the guy that throws that "DP" title round with reckless abandon yet in the same breath tells everyone about their upcoming production that the must have a non-shipping camera for . . .
I actually know of a couple of people here that might lay claim to that title (but oddly they're not the ones demanding and making claims).
If you have a contractual obligation to shoot anything in the near future with camera that's not yet shipping (and you then obviously have zero experience with) then you are not a DP, You are an idiot.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 4:07 am

Mr. dregenthal:

+1000000
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Michael Sandiford

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 am

My favourite bit.
Tomski wrote:BM is in such a rush to win this camera war they started

heh.

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 6:42 am

OMG! Listen up!... This is a 3&4 thousand dollar camera, these outrageous demands are utterly ridiculous and observably abnormal, Stop your psychotic rants..Please give it a rest, BMD is just getting their feet wet with an affordable camera that is (Image wise) as good as an Red Scarlet for thousands less.
Chill out...I did finally chill after getting both my BMCC's, Sold both but that's another story,
Point is give it time, You won't regret it.

Ryan McCarvill

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 am

It depends on where you come from, for some people having $4k tied up in a camera is a big deal. There is an opportunity cost for any capital. And over a period of time it might have been better to spend that $4,000 (well $4.4 actually) elsewhere and buy the camera at a later date.

If you know when shipping will start, then based on how quickly the EF orders were filled you can make a more informed decision of what is best to do with that money.

Right now allot of people are waiting for the camera in the hope that it arrives at a point that makes it worth the wait. The longer the wait, the less its worth as an alternative to what else that money can be spent on.

It's not unreasonable to want some information.

Of course the opening post was pretty abrupt but the sentiment is true.

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 am

Tomski,
Please don't take the ridiculous feedback to your topic here to heart. The people that visit these forums are obviously going to be pro BMD, so don't think what they say is what the majority thinks.

I believe the majority feel as you do. In fact I 100% agree with you. Also, I love how these people are calling you a "psychotic ranter" when saying such thing ironically makes THEM that themselves. You were polite in your thoughts yet you get abuse back. I see this as 100% fanboy feedback, the worst breed of internet dwellers are these fanboys.

So please, take heart in knowing that most people feel the way you do. In fact in any company, from Sony to Canon, Apple to MS you will always get fanboys, but more importantly you will always get level heading individuals like yourself that complain for the RIGHT reasons only to be called psychotic by those aforementioned fanboys.

Final word : - The only "psycho's" here are those that do not believe that false advertisement and continual delays is a bad thing for the industry. BMD are cornering the market on false promises and taking money away from other respectable companies (e.g Canon) with vaporware promises and the continual untruth of "everything is going much faster now".

I had a camera BMCC in my hands for one day but sold it for a profit and had someone drive from another country 11 hours non stop to get their hands on the camera. All because someone told him at NAB (I know who but wont say out of respect) that Germany would probably be the last market to see BMD products. He was desperate for it as he needed it for his business. Throughout all this he still believes in BMD. Good on him for being forgiving. I on the other hand cannot be so forgiving.

PS - Before anyone says I am anti BMD please see my sig,
BMD products: -
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo
Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 am

Some valid points indeed, I still say chill out,
anger has and always will make anyone look the fool, Trust me I know first hand :?
But If you continue to try and bash & or humiliate BMD for errors in shipping & manufacturing updates?...
I can assure you will lose that battle three fold since they will come full circle soon enough.

Just try and relax and shoot with a Red Epic or Scarlet till you get an affordable 4K Camera :idea:

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 am

You don't HAVE to buy.

You don't HAVE to Pre Order.

If you choose to do so, do it based on the features that are officially announced and don't schedule a shoot with it till it's actually in your hands and you've tested the camera and workflow to see if it's right for you...

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 am

John Brawley wrote:You don't HAVE to buy.

If you choose to do so, do it based on the features that are officially announced and don't schedule a shoot with it till it's actually in your hands and you've tested the camera and workflow to see if it's right for you...

jb

Better yet do what JB said, Jesus people nobody is forcing you to buy it now, wait a few years, I bet by then you'll be a fan of BMD...When Red costs as much as your custom built home.

Sorry JB I can't help but hop on the wagon while it's not burning and try and save it.
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:45 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Some valid points indeed, I still say chill out,
anger has and always will make anyone look the fool, Trust me I know first hand :?
But If you continue to try and bash & or humiliate BMD for errors in shipping & manufacturing updates?...
I can assure you will lose that battle three fold since they will come full circle soon enough.

Just try and relax and shoot with a Red Epic or Scarlet till you get an affordable 4K Camera :idea:

Slightly of topic (sort of)... The thing is the BMPC 4K is not in the same market as Red Scarlet or Epic. Those cams have a wider dynamic range and are more filmlike. I truly believe the BMPC 4k is aimed more at TV production, commercials etc. Something I think BMD need to clarify more in their advertisements I think. The 2.5K 13 stops BMCC is STILL the way to go for indy filmakers. I have been waiting for something like the BMPC with "i" output for some time now for my TV studio. Turns out the BMCC also does "i" now too, so that could also be used:)

Also why should people shoot with RED? They want BMD for the price not the quality or i/o's the camera has. If it was quality they would go RED. I would have a RED scarlet with genlock over a BMCC or BMPC 4k any day of the week! Unfortunately our camera budget is limited so we are going with BMD camera's. When I say we are going with, I mean we are TRYING to go with BMD, but they are making it hard for us.
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 am

John Brawley wrote:You don't HAVE to buy.

jb

You see this doesn't fly JB. Not at all. It may work on others, but not me. Selling the camera at this price point is paramount to "forcing people to buy". They have put money in other things, rigs, SSD's etc etc already on a promise of a release date that never came. They also put money in other equipement from their budget because they knew they could save money on a camera that never came.

So yes, they did force you to buy metaphorically speaking.
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:50 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
spike wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:Some valid points indeed, I still say chill out,

Slightly of topic (sort of)... The thing is the BMPC 4K is not in the same market as Red Scarlet or Epic. Those cams have a wider dynamic range and are more filmlike. I truly believe the BMPC 4k is aimed more at TV production, commercials etc. Something I think BMD need to clarify more in their advertisements I think. The 2.5K 13 stops BMCC is STILL the way to go for indy filmakers. I have been waiting for something like the BMPC with "i" output for some time now for my TV studio. Turns out the BMCC also does "i" now too, so that could also be used:)

Also why should people shoot with RED? They want BMD for the price not the quality or i/o's the camera has. If it was quality they would go RED. I would have a RED scarlet with genlock over a BMCC or BMPC 4k any day of the week! Unfortunately our camera budget is limited so we are going with BMD camera's. When I say we are going with, I mean we are TRYING to go with BMD, but they are making it hard for us.

I will keep this simple, You are Misinformed and so wrong I want to slap you,
But hey I'm a none violent person, I'll hire someone to do it :mrgreen:

Just don't hire BMD as I won't get slapped until 2020 if ever;)
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 am

Nobody said the extra gear was going to be cheap, shooting RAW has it's downside,
But we..as in me and many others who have edited or shot in RAW know this.

It is the DSLR fanatics who are complaining the most, because they can not afford this kind of upgrade... period.

As far as the Ultra HD that has most people confused...That is a huge plus to the production camera
not a hindrance, It is still a Cinema Camera
and better yet has a 4K sensor with a global shutter!!
What is it about the Production Camera you are not understanding????

Please Tell me!!!!
Yes I know we all want to see some sample footage, But trust me before that happens
Do some research I'm sure it will enlighten you about this sensor and it's future.

Good Night.

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 8:17 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Nobody said the extra gear was going to be cheap, shooting RAW has it's downside,
But we..as in me and many others who have edited or shot in RAW know this.

It is the DSLR fanatics who are complaining the most, because they can not afford this kind of upgrade... period.

As far as the Ultra HD that has most people confused...That is a huge plus to the production camera
not a hindrance, It is still a Cinema Camera
and better yet has a 4K sensor with a global shutter!!
What is it about the Production Camera you are not understanding????

Please Tell me!!!!
Yes I know we all want to see some sample footage, But trust me before that happens
Do some research I'm sure it will enlighten you about this sensor and it's future.

Good Night.

OK so you are one of those who canceled your order for the 2.5k and went for the 4k. So you think the 2.5k is obsolete now do you? Yes global shutter is brilliant, yes it's 4k but I do not think the sensor is better than the 13 stop 2.5k sensor. They are just different things for different people. Are you saying the Alexa is worse than an Epic? Did Skyfall and Avengers look less cinematic than The Hobbit?

Thanks, but i'll leave the explaining and learning for someone with a bit more knowledge than yourself. Bye Bye.
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Margus Voll

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 9:03 am

Some people does not realise that shooting raw is really demanding if you are still laptop
indy person in tech sense.

I just few days back played with dng in my Resolve and boy i'm happy with the possibilities
but it really means that you have to spend money to get all out of it. I have relatively beefy machine
compared to laptops for instance.

"Cheap" camera now will not help if you do not have support system in place so to say.

Until then one could hire something else or track down units i see in
online shops in few weeks interval now in UK and in AU.
Just cancel your preorder if you dare and hunt down some unit you will need now.
It is doable!
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Why because Jarred Land is a TOOL, and never had any intention of making an affordable camera, he made sunglasses for rich people with money to ski the best powder money could buy.

Let's not trade in personal attacks.

You should also do some more research. Jim Jannard is the founder of both Oakley sunglasses and RED digital camera. Jarred Land is a different person, who is associated with RED and DVXUSER, REDUSER and BMCUSER.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am

spike wrote:
You see this doesn't fly JB. Not at all. It may work on others, but not me. Selling the camera at this price point is paramount to "forcing people to buy". They have put money in other things, rigs, SSD's etc etc already on a promise of a release date that never came. They also put money in other equipement from their budget because they knew they could save money on a camera that never came.

So yes, they did force you to buy metaphorically speaking.

You don't make any sense to me I'm afraid.

You as a consumer make a choice to buy. Or not.

You as a consumer make a choice to buy those accessories for a camera, which might not even be shipping, and simply announced. How on earth is this forcing people to buy, metaphorically or not. You don't have to buy anything ?!

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 am

John Brawley wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:
Why because Jarred Land is a TOOL, and never had any intention of making an affordable camera, he made sunglasses for rich people with money to ski the best powder money could buy.

Let's not trade in personal attacks.

You should also do some more research. Jim Jannard is the founder of both Oakley sunglasses and RED digital camera. Jarred Land is a different person, who is associated with RED and DVXUSER, REDUSER and BMCUSER.

jb

Also, how does attacking R3d make BMD look any better or worse?
Ive gotten drawn into the argument before, but it wont happen again.
Just my measly $0.02, but going about attacking other camera makers does nothing to make your "argument" -let BMD shine (or not) on its own merits -Sony, Canon, Red, etc ..have nothing to do with it.

-done

Jace Ross

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 am

This thread sits somewhere between hilarious and sad. I'm neither a fan boy or anti-bmd. I think this is silly though, for those who preordered, I have a question. Have you ever preordered anything before? I work in the IT industry and frequently pre-order anything not deadline specific. Often manufacturing and testing products last minute issues arise and nothing can be done about it.That is the nature of preordering. Don't buy accessories specifically for a camera you don't have. What purpose does that serve?

I don't know why bmd haven't got their shipments out but I'd say not being a giant company might have something to do with it.

FInally I'd like to state complaining on a forum won't make manufacturing faster.

Edit: if you want cheap 4k now feel free to get a gopro hd hero 3 black and enjoy their amazing 15fps frame rate! (I love my gopro but their 4k is silly for most applications)
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 12:02 pm

lunchbox, a forum presents a perfect place to vent dissatisfaction of a product. It's ideal because BMD patrol here. The more they see customers being unhappy the more they will endeavour to fix the issue or you'd hope!

I agree buying accessories is not ideal when pre ordering, but some people had faith in this company keeping its word. And why shouldn't they? I didn't pre order any items at all as I know first hand how late BMD ALWAYS are with their products (look at my sig). Do you expect a forum to be full of happy campers all the time? Of course not, especially here.

YES, there are always delays, whether they be in the movie industry, games industry, hardware industry etc, but for a company to be over a year late with a product and then release a date for TWO new camera's of only 3 months away when they haven't met targets on LAST years camera is just plain stupid.

So YES I AGREE, if anyone now buy's accessories for the TWO new camera's on BMD's promise of a July release and expects them to be on time, then YES YES YES mournful you! BMD has proven time and time again that they are late to the market and still continue to give exaggerated dates. JB, lunchbox and others are right. Don't put faith in BMD design. That is what you are saying is it not? DON'T BUY ACCESSORIES for a BMD pre order item as it WILL be late and you'd be stupid to!

Edit - Just to add. I had a promise from someone high up at BMD UK that BMD had learnt their lesson and would not release specific dates for future items and only say "2nd quarter expected date". That never happened. Just another BMD exaggeration? I really wanted this to be true. Why you ask? Well I don't want to see others fall into the same trap as many here have... some people don't know what BMD is like and will jump in head first with their preorder money not expecting a delay... so YES venting here does help. Maybe not the precious BMD, but others buyers!
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Willem Timmersma

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Luckily i didn't go to the process of the never ending waiting of the bmcc . Last year i didn't had plans to buy the bmcc. But i changed my mind one month ago, pre-orderd at a local shop in the Netherlands. And 1 week after the pre-order i got a call that my BMCC was ready to ship! :shock:

I really thought i had to wait for atleast one month or more. Guess I'm very lucky with that. Really satisfied so far.

Jace Ross

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 pm

spike wrote:lunchbox, a forum presents a perfect place to vent dissatisfaction of a product. It's ideal because BMD patrol here. The more they see customers being unhappy the more they will endeavour to fix the issue or you'd hope!

I agree buying accessories is not ideal when pre ordering, but some people had faith in this company keeping its word. And why shouldn't they? I didn't pre order any items at all as I know first hand how late BMD ALWAYS are with their products (look at my sig). Do you expect a forum to be full of happy campers all the time? Of course not, especially here.

YES, there are always delays, whether they be in the movie industry, games industry, hardware industry etc, but for a company to be over a year late with a product and then release a date for TWO new camera's of only 3 months away when they haven't met targets on LAST years camera is just plain stupid.

So YES I AGREE, if anyone now buy's accessories for the TWO new camera's on BMD's promise of a July release and expects them to be on time, then YES YES YES mournful you! BMD has proven time and time again that they are late to the market and still continue to give exaggerated dates. JB, lunchbox and others are right. Don't put faith in BMD design. That is what you are saying is it not? DON'T BUY ACCESSORIES for a BMD pre order item as it WILL be late and you'd be stupid to!

Edit - Just to add. I had a promise from someone high up at BMD UK that BMD had learnt their lesson and would not release specific dates for future items and only say "2nd quarter expected date". That never happened. Just another BMD exaggeration? I really wanted this to be true. Why you ask? Well I don't want to see others fall into the same trap as many here have... some people don't know what BMD is like and will jump in head first with their preorder money not expecting a delay... so YES venting here does help. Maybe not the precious BMD, but others buyers!

I think you misinterpreted my post. I never meant to imply that people shouldn't express dissatisfaction merely that it's ludicrous to pre order without knowing the risks. Remember the whole counting your chickens before they hatch saying? I'm not saying have no faith in bmd just expect anything can happen until it's in your hands.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5

Taikonaut

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 1:37 pm

It is not as simple as it sounds. Every country has its own consumer protection, I can only say from the UK perspective and over here subject to complaint by the consumer(s) if something is advertise and not conform to proper business practice accpetable under UK laws Trading Standards will be on your case resulting in the advert pulled by the ASA, the reseller not allowed to advertise it or worse still the company blacklisted.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Taikonaut wrote:It is not as simple as it sound. Every country has its own consumer protection, I can only say from the UK perspective and over here if something is advertise and not delivered Trading Standards will be on your case resulting in the advert pulled by the ASA, the reseller not allowed to advertise it or worse still the company blacklisted.

Yes, exactly. I was thinking of contacting the ASA but as this is being advertised on an international website there would be nothing they could do. However, if BMD had released billboards, tv ads and magazines ads over here the ASA would be all over them.

I guess a lot of you folks live in countries where a company can lie to you, but I do not... thankfully;)
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Taikonaut

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 pm

spike wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:It is not as simple as it sound. Every country has its own consumer protection, I can only say from the UK perspective and over here if something is advertise and not delivered Trading Standards will be on your case resulting in the advert pulled by the ASA, the reseller not allowed to advertise it or worse still the company blacklisted.

Yes, exactly. I was thinking of contacting the ASA but as this is being advertised on an international website there would be nothing they could do. However, if BMD had released billboards, tv ads and magazines ads over here the ASA would be all over them.

I guess a lot of you folks live in countries where a company can lie to you, but I do not... thankfully;)

ASA and Trading Standards can stop UK based resellers. I hope you are not screwing things up for everyone else in the UK?

Brad Ballew

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Well one thing I think we can all agree on is that production people are a passionate folk. In fact I had an odd experience yesterday when I went into a local camera shop to test the Tokina 11-16 on my BMCC... The second I mentioned the BMCC to the guy behind the counter (please know that I didn't say anything like "this super awesome camera that is going to destroy every camera out there" I literally just mentioned the name) he immediately goes into this rant about how he is tired of people comparing it to the RED and that it's not even close that your talking about a $30,000 camera vs a $3,000,.. yada yada..

Then later I find out he didn't even know the camera shot raw. He asked, 'It only shoots 4:2:2 right at 1080 right?" Face squarely in palm...

Not making any point with that, it just happened yesterday and I thought it was kind of funny.

As far as the issue being discussed in this thread, here's my two cents:

Yes it absolutely frustrating and infuriating to be waiting on something with absolutely no clue as to what is going on. I don't think anyone can be blamed for being annoyed.

However, Blackmagic isn't a cartoon supervillian. They aren't holding information or cameras for that matter with the intent of causing suffering. Business is complicated, especially when you are doing something new. They might have an idea of when things will happen. However, there are a lot of variables at play and things might not play out like they hope. So why promise when your not sure? That's already happened once with the first launch date, and people didn't respond well, so why do it again?

Besides this isn't anything new. I have waited long periods after supposed "Launch Dates" for different gadgets in the past. Sometimes several months.

So the moral of the story, you have the right to be frustrated, because.. well... it is frustrating...however, Blackmagic isn't trying to make your suffer because I am pretty sure they want you to be happy and to have your loyalty and business. Business can be tricky sometimes.
Last edited by Brad Ballew on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Taikonaut wrote:
spike wrote:

ASA and Trading Standards can stop UK based resellers. I hope you are not screwing things up for everyone else in the UK?

What? No of course not. I wouldn't complain to ASA unless it was absolutely called for. As bad as BMD are, they are not quite there yet. How would I screw it up anyways? There are relatively few in this country anyway. Plus I doubt they would PULL all of BMD components. In fact they wouldn't...
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Manu Gil

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm

I have a feeling that on this occasion, will fulfill Blackmagic announced the delivery end of July. Because they can not afford to make the same mistake again.

Tengo la corazonada de que en esta ocasion, Blackmagic cumplira los plazos de entrega anunciados de finales de Julio. Porque no pueden permitirse el lujo de cometer el mismo error otra vez.

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Manu Gil wrote:I have a feeling that on this occasion, will fulfill Blackmagic announced the delivery end of July. Because they can not afford to make the same mistake again.

Tengo la corazonada de que en esta ocasion, Blackmagic cumplira los plazos de entrega anunciados de finales de Julio. Porque no pueden permitirse el lujo de cometer el mismo error otra vez.

Manu, as your first language isn't English I don't mind saying this again so you can understand.

BMD have done this BEFORE. Most of, if not all of their products have seen delays. In fact the BMD Hyperdeck studio pro and BMCC were delayed for coming up to nearly a year AT THE SAME TIME. Both were due July of last year and the pro has only really just started to ship.
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Sorry TC for going off topic, but this is for you Darryl Gregory...

Take a RED Epic, BMPC 4k and an Alexa to Roger Deakins and let him educate you on the differences... As I said, different strokes for different folks. Mr. Deakins prefers the look of the 2k Alexa over the 4k EPIC. The 13.5 stops 4K epic is better than the 12 stop (probably less) BMPC 4k sensor... do the math man!

BTW. The camera's name is PRODUCTION camera and not CINEMA camera for a reason...
Last edited by spike on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Manu Gil

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:49 pm

spike wrote:
Manu Gil wrote:I have a feeling that on this occasion, will fulfill Blackmagic announced the delivery end of July. Because they can not afford to make the same mistake again.

Manu, as your first language isn't English I don't mind saying this again so you can understand.

BMD have done this BEFORE. Most of, if not all of their products have seen delays. In fact the BMD Hyperdeck studio pro and BMCC were delayed for coming up to nearly a year AT THE SAME TIME. Both were due July of last year and the pro has only really just started to ship.

Hi Spike thanks. BMCC I thought had been an isolated case.
Yo pensaba que BMCC habia sido un caso aislado.

John Bartman

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 3:18 pm

sean mclennan

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 3:31 pm

I wonder if the Alexa forums are full of people bitching about how expensive the camera is and how they are not listening to their customers because the price is too high?

It's a tool. You read the specs, you check out sample footage, you determine if it's a tool you want. Done.

Did you buy an iphone or an android or a windows phone? See, you have a choice. Do you spend you time in the other phone's forums bitching about why you didn't buy their phone? What a waste of your time. Your time must not be that valuable...

This is the problem when you price your camera for the average joe, you get a lot of average joes complaining. A lot of these complaints seem to be from people looking for a perfect camera that will make them a perfect DP. "the BMCC is UNUSABLE because it lacks this or that." LOL, maybe you just need to work on your skills?!

masterok

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Sean did you read the OP??

He is making a very strong point. People have put in preorders and were separated with their money for a whole year. Noone forced them? Yes. But with the promises from BMD they were expecting their camera when BMD announced the shipping, and as with all reputable companies, they ship their preorders to ALL customers at the same time, and when promised. If BMD would say expect delays for a year in shipping, there wouldnt be people ordering cameras, they would choose different options/rent or invest 3000$+ in other things and made actually money from those investments, unlike 3000$ free loan to BMD. Resellers have those money? It doesnt matter, those resellers placed orders with BMD so money gets to BMD in either way.

The more i visit this forum the less i want to deal with this company. If an issue comes up, these fan boys jump on OP and slam with "You dont know how to shoot", "Go back to your DSLR", "This is a professional camera", and when they run out of arguments all they have to say "Well this is just 3000$ camera, what do you expect?". Well what do i expect? Proper customer service, thats for one. Constant updates on deliveries and communication with clients, thats second. Third, if the product is release, priced, features promised, I expect the product to be available to order, have all features working as promised, camera in perfectly working condition, without sending it back for fixes

And a last thought, you got your camera, you shooting with it, you happy? You get upset with people complaining? Then dont read these topics.

Camera is priced for regular Joes? Why are you here? Another regular Joe? Why did you buy it, go show your professionalism and buy Alexa or RED.

John Bartman

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Kholi Hicks

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:35 pm

spike wrote:
Slightly of topic (sort of)... The thing is the BMPC 4K is not in the same market as Red Scarlet or Epic. Those cams have a wider dynamic range and are more filmlike. I truly believe the BMPC 4k is aimed more at TV production, commercials etc. Something I think BMD need to clarify more in their advertisements I think.

Neither Scarlet or Epic hold more than 12 stops at any given time, without the use of HDRX. Scarlet's noise floor's higher than its "bigger brother", you've got a solid 11 and maybe another half if you're lucky, Epic is a consistent 12 on good days. Neither are getting 13 usable stops.

Furthermore, why would BMD need to clarify their advertisements? You haven't seen an ounce of footage from the camera, this statement is void.
Kholi Hicks

Kholi Hicks

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 pm

masterok wrote:The more i visit this forum the less i want to deal with this company. If an issue comes up, these fan boys jump on OP and slam with "You dont know how to shoot", "Go back to your DSLR", "This is a professional camera", and when they run out of arguments all they have to say "Well this is just 3000$ camera, what do you expect?". Well what do i expect? Proper customer service, thats for one. Constant updates on deliveries and communication with clients, thats second. Third, if the product is release, priced, features promised, I expect the product to be available to order, have all features working as promised, camera in perfectly working condition, without sending it back for fixes

I'm not sure if there's been a camera released that didn't have recalls or issues. If you can name one (non-dslr, we're talking Prosumer level cameras at the very release) let me know. But, as someone that's often invested in prosumer grade digital image acquisition, I know these things are true:

1. Not a single company outside of RED communicates ANYTHING about shipping deliveries, updates, etc. NONE. Radio silence all the way.

2. MOST of these prosumer or professional cameras can be ordered immediately, and take a month or more to deliver when first released. And everything typically ISN'T working perfectly at the beginning of the life cycle.

Just about anyone that purchases bleeding edge prosumer or professional video technology (6K+ investments for small sensor, and before recently 200K+ large format yet now 15K entry thanks to RED) knows this.

If you weren't at the top of a preoder list for the original HVX200, you did not get one for several months when it was released. If you weren't at the top of a preorder list for the recent C300? You did not get one for a few months.
Kholi Hicks

sean mclennan

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 pm

masterok wrote:Sean did you read the OP??

He is making a very strong point. People have put in preorders and were separated with their money for a whole year. Noone forced them? Yes. But with the promises from BMD they were expecting their camera when BMD announced the shipping, and as with all reputable companies, they ship their preorders to ALL customers at the same time, and when promised. If BMD would say expect delays for a year in shipping, there wouldnt be people ordering cameras, they would choose different options/rent or invest 3000$+ in other things and made actually money from those investments, unlike 3000$ free loan to BMD. Resellers have those money? It doesnt matter, those resellers placed orders with BMD so money gets to BMD in either way.

The MONEY doesn't get to BM until the camera ships. Period. If your retailer is holding your money hostage, then you should pick a better retailer to do business with. Try to remember, with all your "expectations", BM was expecting to get sensors without any QA problems. ****** situation for sure but it certainly isn't their fault. They can't just snap their fingers and presto, have 20,000 new sensors tomorrow. Stop beating that horse, it's been dead for months. As you noted..all these people CAN choose a different camera and take their money elsewhere. It will just cost them significantly more money or they'll have to make do with a lesser camera...and isn't THAT the real reason for all this bitching? There is NO other camera at this price point that can do what the BMCC can do, so everyone that's upset CAN'T take their money and go somewhere else...there is nowhere else to go.

The more i visit this forum the less i want to deal with this company. If an issue comes up, these fan boys jump on OP and slam with "You dont know how to shoot", "Go back to your DSLR", "This is a professional camera", and when they run out of arguments all they have to say "Well this is just 3000$ camera, what do you expect?". Well what do i expect? Proper customer service, thats for one. Constant updates on deliveries and communication with clients, thats second. Third, if the product is release, priced, features promised, I expect the product to be available to order, have all features working as promised, camera in perfectly working condition, without sending it back for fixes

So you don't expect these things from Canon, Nikon, Sony or RED? because all those companies fail at your list of expectations. Not a single one of them gives constant updates on developing products, QA or shipping issues. NONE. Show me one major company that does.

And a last thought, you got your camera, you shooting with it, you happy? You get upset with people complaining? Then dont read these topics.

I am in the Cinematography forum...to read about Cinematography topics....which this topic is NOT.

Camera is priced for regular Joes? Why are you here? Another regular Joe? Why did you buy it, go show your professionalism and buy Alexa or RED.

I never said a pro couldn't use a BMCC. Price point is all about democratizing the tools for the masses. Is this concept really that foreign to you? Do I really need to explain it further?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Dumbski wrote:First of all i want to say that i appreciate the fact BM is changing the camera market, and setting the benchmark. I like the fact that BM is showing they mean business and have a plan.
But just remember that the people here are interested in making content, and that whatever awesome specs you put on these new camera's, you can not keep repeating the 'look at this cool stuff' without delivering what you promise.
And by that i mean, showing off at shows, putting up wonderfull photo's and specs, while not being able to supply many people (especially in Europe) with a first version of your camera, a full year after the introduction. And i'm not even talking about after sales information, cos we all know that is lacking.

You put up specs for this 4 k camera, while you are not mentioning that raw is a feature that might come later. You leave it up to Mr. JB to sort of hint that this will be the case. 12 Stops ? Even JB stays vague on that, as it is all under construction. Yet you trust again that pre-orders will come. As it all sound to good to be true, i put a pre-order in again, even though after a year i do not have the pleasure of owning a wonderful BMCC. Marketing again outperforms reality.

BM is in such a rush to win this camera war they started and i can understand that. I again did fall for the new things you 'plan' to bring. I hope you do. Honestly. But if you fail short of any of these specs, or the delivery date you put out, i will cancel my order(s) immediately and will only come back to check you out once you sorted it all out. Specs , testfootage as awesome as your adds tell us it is going to be, and last but not least ON TIME delivery. Make it work. Im getting fed up with the marketting bull and the marketshare rush. Build it, prove it, and deliver. You want satisfied customers, EARN IT.

And what's your responsibility in all this? You post a criticism of BMD, preaching about ethics, anonymously and expect to be taken seriously?

BMD has apologized multiple times for their mistakes concerning the BMCC, as well as for the mistakes of their suppliers over which they don't have complete control.

For many weeks now BMD has been delivering BMCCs to satisfied customers all over the world. Sure, not everyone who pre-ordered a BMCC has received theirs yet, but the cameras appear to be shipping in greater & greater quantities every week.

Anyone who pre-orders a product and pays a dealer a deposit, especially a non-refundable deposit, has decided themselves to take a financial risk. That business transaction is between you & your dealer. If you're unhappy with the result, talk with your dealer & insist on a refund.

But if you're going to post to a public forum, show some courage and at least use your real name. In my book it earns you instant respect, even if I don't agree with you. But anonymous posts aren't worth the electrons they're printed on.

Sure, we all want BMD to do a great job going forward. But anyone who places a pre-order (with a deposit, especially a non-refundable deposit) for a product that isn't shipping yet -- or for which there no sample footage available yet -- is taking a risk that the product might be delayed or might not perform as hoped. That's your decision, and your risk.

Personally, I've placed a no-deposit, no-obligation pre-order for a BMPC-4K, and I have no worries about it. I'm reasonably certain sample BMPC-4K footage will be published before my camera is delivered. If I don't like how it looks, I'll probably buy a BMCC-MFT instead. I expect the BMCC-MFT to be available off-the-shelf before the BMPC-4K ships. No guarantees, but I have nothing to lose.

In the meantime, I shoot with my GH2 & my colleague's FS100 & other cams every week. When my BMD camera arrives, it arrives, or not.

I'm a mostly-satisfied BMD customer, and the only one of their products i own is an original model Hyperdeck Shuttle -- not a perfect product, but it perfectly performs the primary task that I bought it for, so I'm quite happy with it, and with BMD.

The original BMCC can produce amazing high-quality results in the right hands. Especially in the hands of people who typically don't waste a lot of time whining and complaining about what a camera can't do. Such folks quickly figure out what a camera can do, and then get to work.

I plan to do the same with my BMD camera when I receive it. Hopefully you will, too. Cheers.

-

Taikonaut

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Dumbski wrote:First of all i want to say that i appreciate the fact BM is changing the camera market, and setting the benchmark. I like the fact that BM is showing they mean business and have a plan.

And what's your responsibility in all this? You post a criticism of BMD, preaching about ethics, anonymously and expect to be taken seriously?

BMD has apologized multiple times for their mistakes concerning the BMCC, as well as for the mistakes of their suppliers over which they don't have complete control.

For many weeks now BMD has been delivering BMCCs to satisfied customers all over the world. Sure, not everyone who pre-ordered a BMCC has received theirs yet, but the cameras appear to be shipping in greater & greater quantities every week.

Anyone who pre-orders a product and pays a dealer a deposit, especially a non-refundable deposit, has decided themselves to take a financial risk. That business transaction is between you & your dealer. If you're unhappy with the result, talk with your dealer & insist on a refund.

But if you're going to post to a public forum, show some courage and at least use your real name. In my book it earns you instant respect, even if I don't agree with you. But anonymous posts aren't worth the electrons they're printed on.

Sure, we all want BMD to do a great job going forward. But anyone who places a pre-order (with a deposit, especially a non-refundable deposit) for a product that isn't shipping yet -- or for which there no sample footage available yet -- is taking a risk that the product might be delayed or might not perform as hoped. That's your decision, and your risk.

Personally, I've placed a no-deposit, no-obligation pre-order for a BMPC-4K, and I have no worries about it. I'm reasonably certain sample BMPC-4K footage will be published before my camera is delivered. If I don't like how it looks, I'll probably buy a BMCC-MFT instead. I expect the BMCC-MFT to be available off-the-shelf before the BMPC-4K ships. No guarantees, but I have nothing to lose.

In the meantime, I shoot with my GH2 & my colleague's FS100 & other cams every week. When my BMD camera arrives, it arrives, or not.

I'm a mostly-satisfied BMD customer, and the only one of their products i own is an original model Hyperdeck Shuttle -- not a perfect product, but it perfectly performs the primary task that I bought it for, so I'm quite happy with it, and with BMD.

The original BMCC can produce amazing high-quality results in the right hands. Especially in the hands of people who typically don't waste a lot of time whining and complaining about what a camera can't do. Such folks quickly figure out what a camera can do, and then get to work.

I plan to do the same with my BMD camera when I receive it. Hopefully you will, too. Cheers.

-

I understand your enthusiasm with BMD but the last few days you come across on this and another forum as a self designated spokesman for BMD. Are you trying to get into their good books so you can be on their beta list :lol:

Fulgencio Martínez

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 6:43 pm

i can not believe there are so many cheerleaders
why can someone not working for a company fight your them??
is it so hard for you to understand they promised something (giving a camera in december in my case) and they did not do it.. not even really explained why
maybe someone wants to be prized as fanboy of the month
if you are so happy with your camera... what are you doing here?? go out and shoot.. the world is waiting for your marvels

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Taikonaut wrote:I understand your enthusiasm with BMD ... Are you trying to get into their good books so you can be on their beta list :lol:

:lol:

Yes. ;-)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Fulgencio wrote:i can not believe there are so many cheerleaders
is it so hard for you to understand they promised something (giving a camera in december in my case) and they did not do it.. not even really explained why
if you are so happy with your camera... what are you doing here?? go out and shoot.. the world is waiting for your marvels

I don't work for BMD. I like their products. I don't own a BMD camera. I was loaned one by a dealer for a few days, because the dealer hoped I'd place a pre-order with them, which I have since done.

I shoot with other cams every week. I waited since April 2012 for a BMCC, but now I'm looking forward to receiving a BMPC-4K instead.

BMD has apologized multiple times for BMCC shipping delays. I accept their apology. What's past is past. However, if BMD makes future mistakes, I'll make note of them & proceed accordingly. Meanwhile I'm optimistic, which is hard for me to do because I'm originally from New Jersey. :-)

I prefer to put my energy into answering questions online about BMD cameras, and shooting with a variety of cameras as opportunities arise, and attempt to be positive instead of whining.

What have you contributed to the community lately?

spike

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Fulgencio wrote:i can not believe there are so many cheerleaders

I don't work for BMD. I like their products. I don't own a BMD camera. I was loaned one by a dealer for a few days, because the dealer hoped I'd place a pre-order with them, which I have since done.

I shoot with other cams every week. I waited since April 2012 for a BMCC, but now I'm looking forward to receiving a BMPC-4K instead.

BMD has apologized multiple times for BMCC shipping delays. I accept their apology. What's past is past. However, if BMD makes future mistakes, I'll make note of them & proceed accordingly. Meanwhile I'm optimistic, which is hard for me to do because I'm originally from New Jersey. :-)

I prefer to put my energy into answering questions online about BMD cameras, and shooting with a variety of cameras as opportunities arise, and attempt to be positive instead of whining.

What have you contributed to the community lately?

So as you've only waited for one BMD product and only had a personal stake in one delay, you refuse to acknowledge the dozen of other times BMD have been late to market? Wow yeah you're doing GREAT work for this community. ..
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 8:08 pm

spike wrote:So as you've only waited for one BMD product and only had a personal stake in one delay, you refuse to acknowledge the dozen of other times BMD have late to market? Wow yeah you're doing GREAT work for this community. ..

On the contrary, I've previously discussed some of BMD's other product delays & mis-features, too.

For example, I've posted about the Hyperdeck Shuttle's completely non-functional "DISP" button, which does absolutely nothing, even after months (years?) of promises from BMD that they'll offer a firmware update to enable it to do something (unspecified).

And I've been very critical of BMD's policy of allowing their authorized dealers to take pre-orders, especially pre-orders with non-refundable deposits, for BMD products. I'm sure BMD could make this practice a violation of their dealer contract if they wanted too.

Meanwhile, I really like many of BMD's products as they are (including the odd little Hyperdeck Shuttle), and don't see a conflict between liking the products & being critical of the company -- within reason.

"Within reason" to me means not posting anonymous criticism about BMD. Within reason means not blaming BMD for every mistake, especially mistakes that are mine alone, not theirs. Within reason means posting far more answers to user (and potential user) questions than I post complaints. Within reason means be willing to admit I don't have all the answers.

So, yeah, compared to some here, I do good work for the community, at least some of the time. Hopefully you will, too. There are a few here to do far more good than me. For them I'm grateful. As for the anonymous whiners, not so much.

Cheers.

-

PaulDelVecchio

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 11:52 pm

Normally I'd say something here, but it seems people have already made up their minds. Reasoning is out the window now. All I can say is this... the way I take the release dates are as estimates. If it doesn't ship upon release date, fine. I fully expect the 4K cam to ship within 2 months of the release date (Sept/Oct latest) and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I understand people want this cam, but you can go elsewhere. You don't have to buy from BMD if you don't want to. No one is forcing your hand. If you feel that BMD are liars and not to be trusted, then don't trust them and buy another product. I know we're all super enthusiastic because these cameras are giving us high end features for a fraction of what the market would normally charge, but you can definitely go elsewhere.

Nothing is giving you the quality for the price that these cameras give you, so it makes sense people want them badly. I know I did and it was tough waiting, but in the end I like to think I'm a reasonable person and can understand what happened. BMD feels confident that they'll deliver the new cameras on time. They could be wrong. Something unforeseen can happen. They could also be right. Point is, judging from the past, take the delivery date as an estimate. Don't book or schedule any work (important or not) around the release dates. Be responsible on your end.

If you feel BMD did you wrong, you don't have to buy from them. Personally, it was rough and I was disappointed with all the waiting, but it was something unforeseen. If you feel that BMD's practice of manufacturing the camera just before the release date is not a good practice, go elsewhere. Sony, Canon, and Red will gladly take your money.

The reason why people are complaining is because deep down, they know there is no other camera out there that will give them this quality for this price. Everything is either too expensive, or the quality isn't as good, so there literally is no competition unless you want to spend a lot more. And that makes everyone feel trapped. It's a tough situation, no doubt.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jace Ross

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 12:11 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:Normally I'd say something here, but it seems people have already made up their minds. Reasoning is out the window now. All I can say is this... the way I take the release dates are as estimates. If it doesn't ship upon release date, fine. I fully expect the 4K cam to ship within 2 months of the release date (Sept/Oct latest) and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I understand people want this cam, but you can go elsewhere. You don't have to buy from BMD if you don't want to. No one is forcing your hand. If you feel that BMD are liars and not to be trusted, then don't trust them and buy another product. I know we're all super enthusiastic because these cameras are giving us high end features for a fraction of what the market would normally charge, but you can definitely go elsewhere.

Nothing is giving you the quality for the price that these cameras give you, so it makes sense people want them badly. I know I did and it was tough waiting, but in the end I like to think I'm a reasonable person and can understand what happened. BMD feels confident that they'll deliver the new cameras on time. They could be wrong. Something unforeseen can happen. They could also be right. Point is, judging from the past, take the delivery date as an estimate. Don't book or schedule any work (important or not) around the release dates. Be responsible on your end.

If you feel BMD did you wrong, you don't have to buy from them. Personally, it was rough and I was disappointed with all the waiting, but it was something unforeseen. If you feel that BMD's practice of manufacturing the camera just before the release date is not a good practice, go elsewhere. Sony, Canon, and Red will gladly take your money.

The reason why people are complaining is because deep down, they know there is no other camera out there that will give them this quality for this price. Everything is either too expensive, or the quality isn't as good, so there literally is no competition unless you want to spend a lot more. And that makes everyone feel trapped. It's a tough situation, no doubt.

This is possibly the best worded response in the thread and describes my thoughts exactly. Well said.
Next

Return to Cinematography