Okay I will start it - NAB 2018 Predictions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Re: Okay I will start it - NAB 2018 Predictions

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 am

Craig Marshall wrote:I'll be very surprised if it lists at any figure below US$3999. Pleasantly surprised. Remember RED promised 4K for $4K several years ago and we saw where that ended...

Considering Blackmagic has the URSA 4K and URSA Mini 4K for $3K, I'd say Blackmagic won that battle.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Craig Marshall

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 am

Sure did
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 7:39 am

Seriously, is that a fixed lens barrel.l? Has anybody got a link to a better picture of that poster, or is nearby. Under that flap is something that looks like the lens, but I don't know of any external lens which is ribbed. It could be some strange feature, like a detachable micro sensor head with the lens mount of the front out of sight, or custom replaceable lens that nearly reaches the back.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Dan Keeble

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 am

We've got as much info as you 8-)
www.flud.digital

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 8:30 am

The clip over the other thread shows a bit more interesting stuff in that area.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Dennis Sørensen

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Seriously, is that a fixed lens barrel.l? Has anybody got a link to a better picture of that poster, or is nearby. Under that flap is something that looks like the lens, but I don't know of any external lens which is ribbed. It could be some strange feature, like a detachable micro sensor head with the lens mount of the front out of sight, or custom replaceable lens that nearly reaches the back.

Isn’t that the back of the camera we are looking at? The ripps are on a EVF maybe?

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 pm

The thing above them looks like a popup flash (not saying it is) but it seems to come out over it.

Mapas Depique

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 2:49 pm

----->>BLACKMAGIC POCKET CINEMA CAMERA 4K.

William Allum

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Isn’t that the back of the camera we are looking at? The ripps are on a EVF maybe?

The more I look at it, I think you're right. It's too high up on the camera body to be a fixed lens / barrel, and would make more sense that they are teasing a EVF, something that really would make it more of a pocket camera.

MelFeliciano

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Just announced...
DaMdCdYVwAALQ9d.jpg-large.jpg
DaMdCdYVwAALQ9d.jpg-large.jpg (94.05 KiB) Viewed 7967 times

Dan Keeble

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Predicting a Blackmagic Audio 8-track recorder to rival the Zoom F8
www.flud.digital

Xtreemtec

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 pm

I have the feeling for a Micro studio camera 4K60p. Now the Pocket camera becomes a 4K model.. The Ursa Broadcast can do 4K60P i'm feeling this will come to the Micro studio camera too..To lift this camera into the 12G-sdi setup. To make full 4K overview shots or put them to a PanTilt head and have a Full 4K Pan Tilt camera.. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Wayne Steven

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 pm

William Allum wrote:

The more I look at it, I think you're right. It's too high up on the camera body to be a fixed lens / barrel, and would make more sense that they are teasing a EVF, something that really would make it more of a pocket camera.

That thing sticking out still looks wrong. Those ribs look flattened out on the sides. I think you going love what if might be. What I was suggesting years ago was a modular mini with a pocket holder handle sort of thing. We'll see.

Nate Porter

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 2:31 am

This is another pic I found floating around reddit.

Craig Marshall

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 2:43 am

OK, if it's going to be that form factor, I could use it on my next mountain doco through Taiwan and Japan but I'll want it to be fully rain/dust proof and include GPS geotagging! :lol:
HDvideo4K.com

Timothy Cook

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:10 am

OK I'm going to say this is a rushed internet fake. Not because of the camera but because of the lettering used in the image.
My degree is in "Marketing" and just like seasoned filmmakers here on this forum notice subtle cues in a film or video, I find myself noticing the cues in advertising images and literature.

BMD is very conscience of their marketing material. They follow rules of thirds along with other print standards with everything they produce, even their web presentations and slides.
If this does happen to be a splash page/slide for their web presentation on Monday it is very out of characteristic for BMD. This image's lettering is all center spaced, (no one in the marketing world does this through the entire image, let alone leave so much dead space) and I've never seen them split the name of a product with two lines, like "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K" is spaced here in the "suspect" image.

Just my two cents, but I could be wrong and this was a rushed web slide show shot. It looks really unprofessional if it is though.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:20 am

Timothy Cook wrote:OK I'm going to say this is a rushed internet fake. Not because of the camera but because of the lettering used in the image.
My degree is in "Marketing" and just like seasoned filmmakers here on this forum notice subtle cues in a film or video, I find myself noticing the cues in advertising images and literature.

BMD is very conscience of their marketing material. They follow rules of thirds along with other print standards with everything they produce, even their web presentations and slides.
If this does happen to be a splash page/slide for their web presentation on Monday it is very out of characteristic for BMD. This image's lettering is all center spaced, (no one in the marketing world does this through the entire image, let alone leave so much dead space) and I've never seen them split the name of a product with two lines, like "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K" is spaced here in the "suspect" image.

Just my two cents, but I could be wrong and this was a rushed web slide show shot. It looks really unprofessional if it is though.

I don't know. Looks like one of their boxes to me.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Nate Porter

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:29 am

Timothy Cook wrote:OK I'm going to say this is a rushed internet fake. Not because of the camera but because of the lettering used in the image.

I'm no marketer, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this camera is the same as the other bmd images.

Timothy Cook

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:30 am

Clayton Von Isaacs wrote:I don't know. Looks like one of their boxes to me.

Yeah, I will give you that. I does look similar to their pricing boxes in use on the web page, but because those are on the same page and next to several other cameras (large and small boxes highlighting premium product). If you click on one of those boxes... the page that is dedicated to one product at that point looks very very different.

Edit: I don't know, something looks off, but it could have been rushed.
Even in their pricing boxes they don't split the phrase "Cinema Camera" and start the entire description with "Blackmagic Design".

Just feels off. :P
Last edited by Timothy Cook on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:33 am

"Just announced, the AU-EVA1 Compact S35 and the VariCam LT cinema cameras will have support for their RAW data outputs in the new ProRes RAW recording codecs. Native support for ProRes RAW has been introduced in the latest edition of Final Cut Pro X, and Atomos has announced that its Shogun Inferno and Sumo monitor/recorders will record in the new format. In addition to internal recording formats, the EVA1 and VariCam LT can output RAW data for the greatest flexibility in post image adjustment. #EVA1". I guess ProRes RAW is going to be in a lot of cameras.
Clayton Von Isaacs

Timothy Cook

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:50 am

Just dissecting the photo here and don't take to much from it, because even if the photo it is real, BMD marketing team does such a good job with their website presentation and design that it's obvious that they know what they're doing.

INMHo I would have thought they would have lead with "Pocket Cinema Camera 4K" , with no breaks covering two-thirds of the page in length, followed by the camera's image: centered, and the BMD logo offset lower right or left.
I mean look at their billboards and windows displays...always topnotch and could compete with any of the larger companies advertising in Time Square. But if this (the suspect fake photo) is a hanging banner or large projected image greeting thousands of guest at NAB this week... well someone needs a little more practice. :P
If this just one slide out of many for Monday's presentation, we'll it's more understandable, but still BMD is always better than this.

But, I do agree it looks similar to the website's "small" pricing boxes.
Funny, no price on the current image and tons of dead space.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Craig Marshall

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 4:57 am

Clayton Von Isaacs wrote:... I guess ProRes RAW is going to be in a lot of cameras.

This interview with Jeromy Young from Atomos recorded at NAB was published 24 hours ago:
https://www.redsharknews.com/production ... -raw-video
HDvideo4K.com

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 5:21 am

Timothy Cook wrote:Just dissecting the photo here and don't take to much from it, because even if the photo it is real, BMD marketing team does such a good job with their website presentation and design that it's obvious that they know what they're doing.

INMHo I would have thought they would have lead with "Pocket Cinema Camera 4K" , with no breaks covering two-thirds of the page in length, followed by the camera's image: centered, and the BMD logo offset lower right or left.
I mean look at their billboards and windows displays...always topnotch and could compete with any of the larger companies advertising in Time Square. But if this (the suspect fake photo) is a hanging banner or large projected image greeting thousands of guest at NAB this week... well someone needs a little more practice. :P
If this just one slide out of many for Monday's presentation, we'll it's more understandable, but still BMD is always better than this.

But, I do agree it looks similar to the website's "small" pricing boxes.
Funny, no price on the current image and tons of dead space.

I would say instead of the billboard look at the wording on the boxes of previous cameras. Also they may be changing how the boxes look this year.
Clayton Von Isaacs

timbutt2

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 8:53 pm

I think it would be awesome if Blackmagic Design announced a new supercomputer called the HAL 9000 in honor of the 50th Anniversary for 2001: A Space Odyssey.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Feels eerily like the quiet before the storm here. In about 16 hours the joint will be hoppin’ when the main event is about to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 12:08 am

rick.lang wrote:Feels eerily like the quiet before the storm here. In about 16 hours the joint will be hoppin’ when the main event is about to begin.

Tropical Storm Adobe is about to be swallowed by Hurricane Blackmagic Design! Hahahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 1:08 am

I'll do you one better...
Attachments
Resolve-Fusion-FX.jpg
Resolve-Fusion-FX.jpg (346.31 KiB) Viewed 7289 times
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 1:12 am

timbutt2 wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Feels eerily like the quiet before the storm here. In about 16 hours the joint will be hoppin’ when the main event is about to begin.

Tropical Storm Adobe is about to be swallowed by Hurricane Blackmagic Design! Hahahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Woohoo! Hopefully this will mean an end to the crappy conforms from Premiere for good!

:)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 1:14 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:I'll do you one better...

NICE!!! I may not be able to sleep tonight I have so much excitement. Only about 15 hours to go till the announcements!

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 1:20 am

timbutt2 wrote:NICE!!! I may not be able to sleep tonight I have so much excitement. Only about 15 hours to go till the announcements!

Sleep? Wazzat? :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 3:15 am

Rock-a-bye baby on the tree tops,
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall.
And down will come baby, cradle, and all.

Translation:
Have a good night’s sleep tonight,
because tomorrow,
the world as you know it,
is gone!

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 am

Send in the clowns.

Rick Lang

Craig Marshall

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:31 am

Hmm, after working for several years now with Resolve at full 12G SDI, with improved Titles and some Compositing integration, I might even be tempted to buy a License! Good things come to those that wait...
HDvideo4K.com

Cary Knoop

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:03 am

rick.lang wrote:Image

Haha!

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 am

Hey watzuuuuup with that lazyness. Its already 8:30 here in the Netherlands. Do i have to still wait another 9 hours for you lazy americans to wakeup and do the announcement. You are so behind always. Come ooooooon.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:49 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Hey watzuuuuup with that lazyness. Its already 8:30 here in the Netherlands. Do i have to still wait another 9 hours for you lazy americans to wakeup and do the announcement. You are so behind always. Come ooooooon.

Haha, I wouldn't call the Australians lazy considering normally they are ahead of time from the Netherlands. Normally they're a full day ahead of the United States. So this Monday is like a Tuesday for them. And, like on a Tuesday with Buffy the Vampire Slayer they're going to slay some competition with their announcements.

I've already selected a few shots I did in After Effects that I will retry in DaVinci Resolve 15 with the Fusion integration. See what it's capable of and whether the Studio Version of Fusion still needs to be purchased. My fingers are crossed we get the Public Beta tomorrow, but if not then I'm thrilled to wait. Just the potential is what really excites me.

Dwanehollands

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 am

timbutt2 wrote:So this Monday is like a Tuesday for them.

Ughhhhhh....tell me about it! It's painful!
Dwane Hollands

Pocket 6K | BMMCC | BMPCC

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ASUS Rog Strix X670E-F GAMING WIFI motherboard | AM5 Socket
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | 16 Core | 4.5Ghz base clock | 128GB RAM
8TB M.2 (7,000MB's read)
AMD Vega 56 8GB Gpu (22.11.2 driver)
(Studio)

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Anyone knows if there is a place we can watch some kind of livestream? BMD did not announce a livestream.. But maybe someone attending that does a live Facebook or something? :)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 pm

I’m assuming it will be linked off their main webpage a few minutes before the streaming begins (or perhaps in the Announcements section of the forum).

There is this link on the Support webpage but so far it just goes to Twitter and points to the BMD homepage.

https://t.co/axJAT3vlOk

Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Yeah well.. I thoughed it should be already on the half hour ago.. But i forgot to correct for Summer/Winter Time correction.. We do we still have that in europe.. Ughhh :roll:

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Yes, we are on Daylight Savings Time here in Canada and the US. So the presentation starts at 9:30 am PDT or 8:30 am PST.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm

The portal to the live presentation is now open! You can get to it from BMD homepage

Rick Lang

Alexander Rodikov

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Live Stream
BMCC 2,5k
Win 7
Ryzen 7 1700
16gb ram
512x3 SSD
780ti

Dan Keeble

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Pocket 4K records onto SD and Cfast cards. Up to iso 25,600. 13 stops.
www.flud.digital

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm

OK, it is 0932, so now it is late getting started. All will be revealed shortly :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Niessner

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Looks like the live stream is filmed in interlace and got a bad de-interlacing before streaming?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:51 pm

audio just dropped out
Clayton Von Isaacs

Anders Holck

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Sound gone..

=/

Sign says at least:

Hand held digital film camera with full 4/3 HDR sensor, dual native ISO up to 25600. MFT lens mount and 13 stops of dynamic range.
Features 5 inch touch screen, internal SD/UHS II and CFast 2.0 card recorders plus also records directly to any external USB-C disk.

$1295
==============

BlackMagic URSA mini 4.6K EF & BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Sony FDR-AX100 & Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Still and video

Robert Niessner

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Am I am the only one where the audio of the live stream just got muted?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Clayton Von Isaacs