BMPCC4k Firmware Wishlist

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

dondidnod

Re: BMPCC4k Firmware Wishlist

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 pm

Version 6.5 is available for the BMPCC 6K with this feature.

In today's announcement he went on to talk about an upcoming release due in one or two months:

At 1:37:14 ...(6.6 firmware update for BMPCC 4K) "...we've got a 1.33x anamorphic desqueeze for preview in the 16:9 modes, ...we've got a 4:3 anamorphic mode with a 2x desqueeze"

ricardo marty

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 am

Justin Jackson wrote:Did they add it for the BMPCC4K? Or is it only for the new 6K camera just announced?

For both
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Mark Grgurev

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 am

My favorite crop mode, assuming it applies to the 4K as well, is 2.8K 17:9 because it supports 120 fps at twice the resolution of 1080p and at an aspect ratio that matches 4K DCI.

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 6:13 am

Ability to use existing LANC remote controls with the TRS microphone socket in the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and 6K like with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

On a shoulder rig and tripod handle this was a great thing as an amateur but since upgrading to the 4K they are collecting dust.

Denny Smith

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Why :?: Lanc is a consumer protocol control system that is not used on Professional Cine Cameras or Broadcast Cameras. Lanc is slow, focus control on original Pocket/Micro Cameras has a lag, so nailing a critical focus is not easy. Zoom requires a native power zoom lens, no external Servo control. Only the Record Start/Stop works.

SBus on the Micro was much more effective and useable, focus control has no lag.

Give it some time, USB-C control is coming. Why go backwards? ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ricardo marty

PostSun Aug 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Would limited electronic zoom be good?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 5:38 am

Why? Because people upgrade from the Pocket to the pocket 4k and have the gear because it worked great worth the Pocket and sounded like a future proof idea when planning to stay with the low end of Blackmagic.
Same reason why people are reluctant to switch lens mounts regularly.
I don't care about professional broadcast equipment because I'm not professionally broadcasting.
I just want a way to start and stop recording from the limited space on the handle of my shoulder rig and LANC did that just fine for just a few euro. (instead of awkwardly reaching for the camera body, then reframing a spontanous shot that is already gone)
"professional broadcast equipment" just shouts "out of your budget class" for people who own their equipment from their private money and don't make a living from.

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 5:40 am

ricardo marty wrote:Would limited electronic zoom be good?

Ricardo Marty

We have that worth the two Panasonic PZ lenses in the Bluetooth protocol of the BMPCC4K.
I haven't seen the new gimbal (USB?) protocol that is to come.

youlikeny

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 am

MarcusWolschon wrote:Why? Because people upgrade from the Pocket to the pocket 4k and have the gear because it worked great worth the Pocket and sounded like a future proof idea when planning to stay with the low end of Blackmagic.
Same reason why people are reluctant to switch lens mounts regularly.
I don't care about professional broadcast equipment because I'm not professionally broadcasting.
I just want a way to start and stop recording from the limited space on the handle of my shoulder rig and LANC did that just fine for just a few euro. (instead of awkwardly reaching for the camera body, then reframing a spontanous shot that is already gone)
"professional broadcast equipment" just shouts "out of your budget class" for people who own their equipment from their private money and don't make a living from.

If you are not talking about professional broadcast needs then why not using bluetooth? It works with any smartphone/tablet/wearable and requires no cables/accessories...

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 2:57 pm

youlikeny wrote:why not using bluetooth? It works with any smartphone/tablet/wearable and requires no cables/accessories...

Because you need a smartphone/tablet/wearable. That's a non-starter.

We need something to strap onto a tripod handle, monopod leg, shoudler grip etc. Something that servers no other purpose than controlling the camera.

Ideally there's be three module types available.

1. Start/Stop only
2. Start/Stop & Zoom
3. Focus & Iris
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 4:19 pm

The Pocket 4K, while inexpensive, was not designed as a consumer camera, but as a pro video type camera, thus, you have XLR audio, Blue tooth and USB-C (control features coming) and no Lanc. Adding a control protocol like SBus would have been better.

Have you tried using Lanc on the original Pocket to control focus, it was hit and miss in mine, with lots of lag, making focus hard to do. Many new cameras today to not include Lanc either.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Personally, I'm not fussy about the protocol used, so long as it's a device dedicated to the function and can be easily attached/removed from a tripod handle.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

youlikeny

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
youlikeny wrote:why not using bluetooth? It works with any smartphone/tablet/wearable and requires no cables/accessories...

Because you need a smartphone/tablet/wearable. That's a non-starter.

We need something to strap onto a tripod handle, monopod leg, shoudler grip etc. Something that servers no other purpose than controlling the camera.

Ideally there's be three module types available.

1. Start/Stop only
2. Start/Stop & Zoom
3. Focus & Iris

FYI that's what we are doing with an old iPhone, using only bluetooth (no wifi or cellular), we turn it on at the beginning of the day and turn it off at the end, only the Bluetooth app running no password/codes so it's always on instantly, it's sturdy and can be easily attached anywhere...

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 pm

was not designed as a consumer camera, but as a pro video type camera

It's a successor to the Pocket Cinema Camera.
It doesn't exist on it's own in a vacuum.
It's bad enough that it no longer fits any kind of pocket nor be stealthy and non-intimidating after the upgrade from the previous model of it's line.
If it was an URSA Micro, then I'd go along. But within the Pocket lineup, if the TRS port hardware is flexible enough to support it, I wish for the LANC feature to be included again.

Oh and if it could OUTPUT LTC timecode on the headphone port (maybe 1 channel?) for an external audio recorder or second, consumer camera. That would be great for many amateurs and suddenly give them the ability to learn to work with time code just as these cameras allow them to learn to work with grading, raw and log material.

The bluetooth protocoll is fairly well documented. But a Bluetooth command to inquire about the valid values for a parameter or at least read the firmware version would be great.

youlikeny wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:FYI that's what we are doing with an old iPhone, using only bluetooth (no wifi or cellular), we turn it on at the beginning of the day and turn it off at the end, only the Bluetooth app running no password/codes so it's always on instantly, it's sturdy and can be easily attached anywhere...

You seriously strap an iPhone to one of the handles of your Shoulder rig to have 1 REC button?
Seriously?
(You couldn't have a focus slide without haptic feedback. A zoom rocker would be possible but these relativ-change commands don't exist for focus. )
If you talk "serious broadcast needs", why does the URSA and URSA Mini have a handle (for 200+€) and the Pocket4K/Pocket6K hasn't?

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Good point, you win. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

youlikeny

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:
You seriously strap an iPhone to one of the handles of your Shoulder rig to have 1 REC button?
Seriously?
(You couldn't have a focus slide without haptic feedback. A zoom rocker would be possible but these relativ-change commands don't exist for focus. )
If you talk "serious broadcast needs", why does the URSA and URSA Mini have a handle (for 200+€) and the Pocket4K/Pocket6K hasn't?

I thought you specifically said that you were talking about non-pro-broadcast usage..

Anyway, yes, not only one, but we often shoot with two pocket 4Ks together and we have an old iPhone 5 per camera, mounted on the side of the rig. It basically function as an external monitor for all menu functions, so an assistant can check that both cameras have the same settings and eventually adjust them, start and stop recording, etc without bothering the operator.

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 am

youlikeny wrote: we have an old iPhone 5 per camera, mounted on the side of the rig...., so an assistant can check that both cameras have the same settings and eventually adjust them, start and stop recording, etc without bothering the operator.

I see. It's not operated by the single person having the camera on his/her shoulder and in a scenic production and not a Run&Gun situation with quick reaction times.
With the pocket I used a Lanparte LANC-01. Just a single button that can be mounted to a round handle.

mastix

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 9:56 am

Playback of images. I love to scout with the camera but it is so frustrating not being able to review the taken images. This should be quite easy. Wonder why it is not there. :(
Windows 10 64 bits
Davinci Resolve 18.1.4 Studio
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 10:51 am

mastix wrote:Playback of images. I love to scout with the camera but it is so frustrating not being able to review the taken images. This should be quite easy. Wonder why it is not there. :(

VERY good point.
Especially as you meight even be tempted to format an aparently empty card before recording video.

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 pm

The camera can playback video clips (not still shots), see the camera manual for details.

I agree about having a simple record Start/Stop control accessory. BMD should make a simp Remote (blue tooth or USB-C) that can do this, similar to what DSLR cameras use in lieu of a cable release.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The camera can playback video clips (not still shots), see the camera manual for details.

I agree about having a simple record Start/Stop control accessory. BMD should make a simp Remote (blue tooth or USB-C) that can do this, similar to what DSLR cameras use in lieu of a cable release.
Cheers

In DSLRs you often just shorten 2 pins of the microphone input with specific resistor values.
Since it's an ADC anyway, that works well.

Wayne Haag

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 am

Screen Disable would be most beneficial during time-lapse out in the field.

Is this an upcoming possibility?
-------------------------------------
That's the price you pay for being stylish.
Previous

Return to Cinematography