Page 1 of 1

Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 pm
by acsmyth
Had the camera for a few weeks now, had it out on a wedding shoot and a corporate shoot:

Just though I'd share some things that have worked and haven't worked for me:

- Be extremely careful when using fast glass. Especially f/1.4 lenses. Without an EVF it is actually very hard to know that you have critical focus (even with the focus assist)

- Invest in the best ND glass. Cheaper solutions give cheaper results, and on a camera like the BMCC it really shows.

- The Anker is a very viable battery solution. My camera lasted a whole wedding day on one charge of the Anker battery, and it's very sleek (a lot smaller than Swintronix battery packs)

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 am
by Marshall Harrington
acsmyth wrote:Had the camera for a few weeks now, had it out on a wedding shoot and a corporate shoot:

Just though I'd share some things that have worked and haven't worked for me:

- Be extremely careful when using fast glass. Especially f/1.4 lenses. Without an EVF it is actually very hard to know that you have critical focus (even with the focus assist)

- Invest in the best ND glass. Cheaper solutions give cheaper results, and on a camera like the BMCC it really shows.

- The Anker is a very viable battery solution. My camera lasted a whole wedding day on one charge of the Anker battery, and it's very sleek (a lot smaller than Swintronix battery packs)


Which Anker battery is that?

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 am
by Chris Hocking
acsmyth wrote:- Invest in the best ND glass. Cheaper solutions give cheaper results, and on a camera like the BMCC it really shows.


What ND Glass were you using? Variable ND? What would you recommend?

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 am
by acsmyth
Tiffen Variable ND is what I now use. Before I had a Lightcraft Worshop one that I'd had forever, it's awful.

This Anker battery http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... UTF8&psc=1

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:41 pm
by Marshall Harrington
acsmyth wrote:Had the camera for a few weeks now, had it out on a wedding shoot and a corporate shoot:

Just though I'd share some things that have worked and haven't worked for me:

- Be extremely careful when using fast glass. Especially f/1.4 lenses. Without an EVF it is actually very hard to know that you have critical focus (even with the focus assist)

- Invest in the best ND glass. Cheaper solutions give cheaper results, and on a camera like the BMCC it really shows.

- The Anker is a very viable battery solution. My camera lasted a whole wedding day on one charge of the Anker battery, and it's very sleek (a lot smaller than Swintronix battery packs)


What cable did you use to connect the battery to the camera?

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm
by John Waldorff
>What cable did you use to connect the battery to the camera?

I have the same question =)
There is an adaptor included for loading a PSP. It looks too small but has a similar formfactor. Probably this is a valid D-Tap cable already.

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:15 am
by Thomas Schumacher
John Waldorff wrote:>What cable did you use to connect the battery to the camera?

I have the same question =)
There is an adaptor included for loading a PSP. It looks too small but has a similar formfactor. Probably this is a valid D-Tap cable already.


I have the Anker as well and there was one connector-cable amongst many included which fits the BMC - don't know how to describe it - it's the one with the black colour inside its plugs metal ending, which will be plugged into the BMC.

I mean just try, it's only a cable - either it fits or doesn't, the voltage comes from the battery not the cable, so there's nothing to damage if you don't use force to plug it in.

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 pm
by Marshall Harrington
Thanks. In many instances I'll be rigged with a larger battery. But those times when I want to be light this will breath a little extra time at a small cost.

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:02 pm
by Thomas Schumacher
I just realized you don't have the Anker at hand, so that's why you asked - sorry if I sounded rude!

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm
by Marshall Harrington
You were fine and thank you for your concern. Do have one other question if you'd be so kind. Is the cable long enough so that the battery could just fit into your pocket?

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:36 pm
by Thomas Schumacher
Marshall Harrington wrote:You were fine and thank you for your concern. Do have one other question if you'd be so kind. Is the cable long enough so that the battery could just fit into your pocket?


Oh, sorry, I just saw your post today. Depends on where your pocket is :-) The cable is about 68cm/26inches long.
My Anker just refused to work and load properly atfer only two full loading cycles, maybe I got a lemon, but I would not rely on it ... anymore.

Re: Few things I've learnt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:31 pm
by Stuart Dye
WOW, thats a good find. Thanks for posting the links. If i buy a BMCC 2.5k i will invest in these batteries and try them out. Many thanks.