Blackmagic announces new MFT version of Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jpmulligan

Blackmagic announces new MFT version of Cinema Camera

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Read it and rejoice: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

Here is the information from the announcement email:

Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT

Since the Blackmagic Cinema Camera was announced we have been overwhelmed by the fantastic response. We have also been extremely happy with the response to the first shipments and have already seen some wonderful work done on them.

We started shipping a few weeks ago, however the Cinema Camera is a highly advanced piece of equipment and it uses a large amount of high quality precision parts to build it. Some components are coming into our factory slower than we expected and this has caused the manufacturing of the cameras to slow.

We expect to have this sorted out over the next few weeks and then can speed up and get more cameras delivered. In the mean time, our engineering has not been slowed down at all and we are continuing to develop the next software update with new features for release very soon.

We have also been working on a Passive Micro Four Thirds model of the camera. People have been asking for this as there are a lot of nice high end manually operated MFT lenses on the market, and the MFT mount can also be easily adapted to PL and other lens mounts using third party adapters.

The new Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT is expected to ship in December, and will be the same price as the original model. It’s identical in features as they are both the same camera, just with different lens mounts. The price will also be the same at $2,995. We will be working with our dealers to help people change their orders if they want.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: M43 crop question

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 6:30 pm

claimsfour wrote:I am curious, is there a crop factor I need to keep in mind?

Is 'conversion math' needed?

Or is a 10mm wide / 50mm prime M43 lens will work as that?

Thanks.

BMCC EF & m43 models have identical crop factor; the sensor size is the same for both.

For crop factor & format comparison info, see:
http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

richiel

Re: Blackmagic announces new MFT version of Cinema Camera

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 6:37 pm

I am not sure if I should change my order from a EF mount to the new MFT mount? If I don't gain any sensor size the DOF will also be the same right? I have Canon EF lens so is there any benefit for me to wait another 3 months? Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Dimitrios Papagiannis

Re: Blackmagic announces new MFT version of Cinema Camera

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Wow

To see a company like Blackmagic be so responsive to customer needs is the kind of attention that has all but disappeared from the corporate landscape these days.

Grant Petty I think that you actually deserve some of the personal credit for this one as well as the guys that pushed for and implemented it at the lower levels.

Outstanding work Blackmagic, Outstanding.

Live long and Prosper,

Dimitrios Papagiannis

Return to Cinematography