Before you ask....SEARCH

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Before you ask....SEARCH

PostWed May 08, 2013 3:07 pm

We are all here to help each other and there is no such thing as a stupid question. However, there is such a thing as ridiculously repetitive questions that fill the forum and make it harder to find the relevant topics you're searching for.

So please, before you create a new account to ask a question that might have been answered 50 times already (what SSD/cage/battery/lens should I buy, what is ETTR, when will I get my camera, etc) just do a simple search.

Image

Chances are you'll find all the information you're looking for.

It's like using google, and we all know you know how to use google. :mrgreen:

sean
Offline

Carlos Delilah

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:01 am

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostWed May 08, 2013 6:42 pm

I with you. Lately it seems that this forum has been flooded with beginner questions. People are too lazy to google and are not embarrassed to ask if a camera comes with a lens.
Use your brain people, its made for thinking.
Offline
User avatar

Trevor Zuck

  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: the 515

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostWed May 08, 2013 7:26 pm

I would like to point out though that one can not simply search pl mount and hope of finding threads about PL mounts easily. the search engine will not search for 2 lettered objects like EF, 4K, or PL.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios
Offline
User avatar

Randy Walters

  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 am
  • Location: Bristol, RI USA

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostWed May 08, 2013 7:27 pm

I have to admit... that lens question established some kind of low water mark.
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 13832
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostWed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Randy Walters wrote:I have to admit... that lens question established some kind of low water mark.


Maybe we need a thread to read the forum stickies and the web pages first. Wait a minute, that isn't a good idea since they are likely to assume the camera includes Cine-Xenar III lenses like BMD mounted on a camera at NAB2013 or the Canon 30-300mm zoom on their web page. At least the pictures give you the (often false) impression you can buy the lenses now.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang
Offline

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1749
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia
  • Real Name: Hook

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostWed May 08, 2013 10:13 pm

TZuck wrote:I would like to point out though that one can not simply search pl mount and hope of finding threads about PL mounts easily. the search engine will not search for 2 lettered objects like EF, 4K, or PL.


Yep, google search is a better option for most forum searches, eg search these forums for "pl mount" like so:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%22pl ... design.com
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
Offline
User avatar

Tom

  • Posts: 1626
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:08 am
  • Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostWed May 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Perhaps some form of wiki would work?

The combined efforts of the folks in the know on here would be able to fill it up very quickly.
Tom Majerski
http://tetragrade.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 3:28 am

Sean's on a rampage :lol:
I'm all for it, I just found it funny Sean of all people posted this :)

Calm down Sean, Everything is going to be okay, We have overzealous Moderators here 8-)

Haha J/k
Offline

Daniel Knoche

  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59 pm
  • Location: Melbourne Aus

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 3:56 am

Prehaps also look in the manual!

A number of posts (especially around the switchers) have related to items that can be found simply by looking at the manual, including basic set up!
Daniel
Offline
User avatar

Thomas Schumacher

  • Posts: 750
  • Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 pm
  • Location: Germany

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 4:13 am

rick.lang wrote: At least the pictures give you the (often false) impression you can buy the lenses now.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD



At least the pictures give you the (often false) impression you can buy the BMC everywhere now.

:mrgreen:
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/
Offline
User avatar

Trevor Zuck

  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: the 515

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 5:27 am

Tom wrote:Perhaps some form of wiki would work?

The combined efforts of the folks in the know on here would be able to fill it up very quickly.



This is actually a brilliant idea, lets start it up.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios
Offline
User avatar

Xtreemtec

  • Posts: 4503
  • Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am
  • Location: The Netherlands

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 7:14 am

Yes indeed.. I think every sub forum should have a Sticky with a lot of wiki knowledge in it. Or FAQ But than FAQ that are asked in the forum.

Last few days I experience that people don't even read manuals anymore. Just unpack the box and if something not works like they think they directly post on the forum..... :?

I'm feeling getting more blunt to people that do not read the manual..


But hey that is the other side of cheap products coming into the broadcast market. Now everybody with a little bit of cash can become a self made broadcaster....... :shock: I'm really shocked by a lot of people with no to nothing knowhow about video/mixers/capturing/streaming and they start a renting company and everything that they don't know ask here to people that have the knowledge for years.. :| :shock: :shock: :shock: :|
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 7:18 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Yes indeed.. I think every sub forum should have a Sticky with a lot of wiki knowledge in it. Or FAQ But than FAQ that are asked in the forum.

Last few days I experience that people don't even read manuals anymore. Just unpack the box and if something not works like they think they directly post on the forum..... :?

I'm feeling getting more blunt to people that do not read the manual..


But hey that is the other side of cheap products coming into the broadcast market. Now everybody with a little bit of cash can become a self made broadcaster....... :shock: I'm really shocked by a lot of people with no to nothing knowhow about video/mixers/capturing/streaming and they start a renting company and everything that they don't know ask here to people that have the knowledge for years.. :| :shock: :shock: :shock: :|


Last few days I experience that people don't even read manuals anymore. Just unpack the box and if something not works like they think they directly post on the forum..... :?

Last decade I feel the same, and many of you wonder why I say and post what I do,
Well As it seems now you wonder no more.
Offline
User avatar

Chris Hocking

  • Posts: 662
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 10:34 am

Hopefully this will help a little:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7952
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 7:08 pm

TZuck wrote:
Tom wrote:Perhaps some form of wiki would work?

The combined efforts of the folks in the know on here would be able to fill it up very quickly.



This is actually a brilliant idea, lets start it up.


While you're at at, let's try an use our real names too :mrgreen:
Offline
User avatar

Trevor Zuck

  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm
  • Location: the 515

Re: Before you ask....SEARCH

PostThu May 09, 2013 7:39 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
TZuck wrote:
Tom wrote:Perhaps some form of wiki would work?

The combined efforts of the folks in the know on here would be able to fill it up very quickly.



This is actually a brilliant idea, lets start it up.


While you're at at, let's try an use our real names too :mrgreen:


see the little button below my avatar, the little circular one, if you click it it will take you to my name, (which gets me views) and while you're there you can see what I do, (which speaks for itself more than just my name) even though my last name is in my username already.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests