Blackmagic Pocket Camera 4K vs Arri Alexa

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Paines

Re: Blackmagic Pocket Camera 4K vs Arri Alexa

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 11:24 pm

MishaEngel wrote:It's not the 4K but the 6K and I was kind of surprised

This youtubber again? It's still not clear that relying on his "tests" is folly? This is the same guy who points his BMPCC 4K at green and comes out with brown.

jack0429

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 12:49 am

John Paines wrote:
MishaEngel wrote:It's not the 4K but the 6K and I was kind of surprised

This youtubber again? It's still not clear that relying on his "tests" is folly? This is the same guy who points his BMPCC 4K at green and comes out with brown.
Because if you are using the extended video lut it does come out brown, sure there are a ton of other methods for getting correct greens (cst, ace, p4k2alexa etc.) But I think for his purpose of just comparing the default rec 709 look that's not bad.

John Paines

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 1:15 am

jack0429 wrote:
John Paines wrote:This youtubber again? It's still not clear that relying on his "tests" is folly? This is the same guy who points his BMPCC 4K at green and comes out with brown.
Because if you are using the extended video lut it does come out brown, sure there are a ton of other methods for getting correct greens (cst, ace, p4k2alexa etc.) But I think for his purpose of just comparing the default rec 709 look that's not bad.

The actual explanation is probably ND filters on the lens, but I suggest you read this thread from the very beginning. It sounds like you're making the same procedural error as the OP.

With that other infamous thread in mind -- where the "denoising algorithm" was "destroying" the footage -- please be more cautious this time around. Youtubbers, and particularly this one, are only hearsay. If you're assured you understand the post-production process, then you'll want to provide your own examples, if we simply must go through this again. And again. And again....

jack0429

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 2:18 am

John Paines wrote:
jack0429 wrote:
John Paines wrote:This youtubber again? It's still not clear that relying on his "tests" is folly? This is the same guy who points his BMPCC 4K at green and comes out with brown.

The actual explanation is probably ND filters on the lens, but I suggest you read this thread from the very beginning. It sounds like you're making the same procedural error as the OP.

With that other infamous thread in mind -- where the "denoising algorithm" was "destroying" the footage -- please be more cautious this time around. Youtubbers, and particularly this one, are only hearsay. If you're assured you understand the post-production process, then you'll want to provide your own examples, if we simply must go through this again. And again. And again....
Yes I messed up by saying it was denoising that destroyed the details, but my whole point of the post was to try to improve braw's detail level, and whether the blackmagic decides to change the debayer algorithm or not at least they heard my concern. And with the other post recently about bmpcc4k not having the correct greens with that drill battery I would say this is a common phenomenon with gen 4 colorscience, and to be honest I don't really care because there are so many ways to fix that it really is a non issue. The dude's tests are not rigorous for sure, but at least gives a decent reference point in camera comparisons.

John Paines

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 2:29 am

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. These generalizations are without foundation. All I can suggest is, re-read the "massive" thread, and see where it ended up.

It's true every sensor has defects and inaccuracies, but that doesn't mean that every claim of inaccuracy and defect is factual.

Sorry if this sounds dismissive, but these broad baseless claims, repeated with boundless confidence and authority, are wearing the place down. Or at least, wearing this contributor down.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 3:22 am

rick.lang wrote:I just quickly HDR corrected a frame from an ARRI Alexa arríraw clip. Finally got use use some of the HDR features supported by my Pro Display XDR. The image contained areas up to 4000nits; I could monitor to 10000nits but it looked like the maximum value needed was 4000.

I must say the skin tones were a charm to dial in and the frame looked good. I should take a crack at it with the settings I’d use if it was taken on my BMPCC4K!

:)
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 4:00 am

It was pointed out it was not actually an anti noise algorithm but an antinoise effect (byproduct) of the partial debayering compression, which I think I was also agreeing too, but which I pointed out could be tweaked to reduce the effect anyway.

BM could have simply done a page explaining what was going on, and people could comment on that instead, coming off a firm basis. A lot of companies do not explain things which already have patent protection anyway. Like Jim saying they were going to tell who there sensor manufacturer were, how their redray codec or patent worked, how the laser worked (all hard to remember all these years later) but never remember seeing anything. They abandoned that laser, when there were less economical solutions.

On broad generalisation guys, doesn't that Arri sky look similar to a dual exposure HDR alignment error?

Rick, I don't know the answers, but something I do know is that 4000 nit in HDR is something Bluray ultra uses, so I wonder if there is a reason it crosses over here.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 5:13 am

Interesting observation re the 4000 nit threshold. I can’t display 4000 nits on my monitor as it tops out at 1600 nits over a significan portion of the frame. In the clip I graded, the very bright portion is a small fraction of the frame. But the waveforms show me the nits on that log scale HDR uses rather than the linear SDR scale that mimics IRE levels. So my highlight on screen may appear to be clipped but the data is absolutely there to show the highlight tops out about 4000 nits.

I say I grade by eye more than a reliance on an accurate white balance, but that refers to the colour I want; I grade by the waveforms to know where everything lies.
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 5:53 am

Interesting philosophical debate. If ones eye is good for it, it's an alright strategy. Mind you, since the brain capacity collapse and the expansion of capability in resolve and other post software, it's really daunting to look at doing this now. Before it got too bad, a back up plan was to do post. But, it is interesting on how you could read everything off waveforms etc, to setup an image look without viewing the image That would be a nest ability, setup then visually adjust a little. Seems like using resolve is now like all the switches in the apollo space craft rather than driving a car, so you are like twelve levels up in complexity, now longer several to ten levels up.

Still waiting for that new micro.

(Re-edit: Wow, a lot of overpriced secondhand pickers on eBay today).
Previous

Return to Cinematography