3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Re: Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:21 am

Well, just sight seeing I could use 6 hours, and I'm not talking unusable shots. Was good with the ambarella based cameras, I could just fill up a 32GB card and take extra batteries with me. I managed to film so much stuff of the Sydney ferries I could do a documentary with the footage, before anybody told me it wasn't legal to film on them, which I found out when filming each train station in the northern shore line and struck one where somebody had blown up a car. Amazing what you can get out of such a little thing.

So, yeah, holding onto the thing all day without much heat issue is important. Is there a hot swap dual Battery pack where as one is depleted it swaps to the other and you can swap out the discharged one? It's amazing how you don't see these sorts of things.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 am

Art, aren't there any gimbals with a battery in the handle one could use? When I was well I used to be the gimbal, so holding onto it until a still important. I'm going be looking out for a compact fast multifocal lens with nice bokeh to keep the form factor down. One of the cheap Asian 43rds manufactures showed demo footage on a nice cheap lens (the clip was at night, city, had a bicycle in it). Maybe it was zcam, or the Yi lens. During day time you could virtually do with something like a mobile liquid lens (maybe dollers OEM cost) for a supreme light weight filming rig. Ohh, for a true micro.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Robert Niessner

Re: 3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:20 am

I was on a job yesterday where for the first time I used the PCC4k in an actual production. Nothing fancy, just a company video where everything scene had to be done fast and inconspicuous, so available lighting only. Only the interviews have been shot on the UM46k and a Kinoflo Diva as the light source.

The included BM LP6 lastet for 28 minutes only (OIS was OFF, screen brightness to 100%) and shut off suddenly during shooting, the Canon LP-E6N lastet for around 45 minutes and had exact percentages.

Seems like the BM LP6 has varying levels of quality.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

AdamTV

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 am

It is too bad that the BM battery has issues because it has a slightly higher power rating. That said, ask a pro Canon user and most likely they will tell you the only use then Canon battery. There is a reason for that!!!! Experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Steven

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Some batteries need conditioning before use. You would hope it was dibe at factory. I bought a fill in phone and had to use it quickly. Allows a trouble and short battery life.

Aaron Green

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Same issue here. I fully charged the battery that came with the P4K and got around 25 min of use. The percentage jumps randomly in large chunks. For anything serious I'm going to use DTap power.

focuspulling

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 3:40 pm

DSTE third-party batteries worked out alright for me; oddly, they communicate metadata to the camera as to percentage remaining, whereas the generic one included with the camera does not and simply shuts down unexpectedly -- though the included one actually lasted longer despite having a lower printed mAh rating. Clearly this is all over the place, and the only sensible strategy is Pocket HD redux: having a huge pile of cheap batteries in your bag ready to switch out at half charge or so.

Meantime, the dummy battery approach is purely stopgap and lazy, compared to a direct connection through the proper albeit proprietary LEMO-like 12v port. It's just a matter of time, since the camera is just out, and the cable pack isn't shipping yet. (I'm in the camp who grumbled about the Blind Spot Power Junkie getting gobs of love, for innovating practically nothing -- as correctly noted earlier, it will fail to output enough voltage to power the 12v port.)

For the interim, I'm using a cheapo battery sled for Sony NP-F batteries that are available by the billions everywhere (no need for anything by Ikan, etc.) -- but that's implicitly risky as it's an insecure barrel connection, and as you're using a dummy battery, there's nothing to fall back on with an accidental disconnect, so your shot is toast. Only sensible if you're locked down and immobile.
Last edited by focuspulling on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Wayne Steven

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Far out. We had a photographer at a meeting tonight and I've never seen a photographer with so many big belt packs on, he looked like a policeman who had his packs sprayed with pepper spray on some Spanish cartoon. He undobuedly had some other gear in a heap somewhere too. Makes you wonder how compact this camera is going turn out even when not doing fiction.

John Paines

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:36 pm

A thread with nothing but direct reports of performance by brand would be dandy, since this one has already succumbed to speculation and fantasy.

I've seen one anecdotal report to stay away from Wasabi ($11!). And according to above, DSTE (also fairly cheap) does work but with even shorter life than the BMD version.

Do we have anything else? There are lots of others to go through, from $14-$46....

Art Roberts

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes Wayne, we've used belt-clips (lead acid) back in the DV/HDV days. Those things were so heavy, you could hardly take two steps before de-stabilizing the camera. And even after you took them off, you'd walk funny for a little while. LOL! But I'm kinda leaning towards the same approach; though with portable clips, and with the camera mounted on a gimble, and tethered by a battery dummy, connected to the belt clip. If the dummy cable is long enough, I can get away with un-balancing the whole setup. Just a thought.

Art Roberts

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:44 pm

A thread with nothing but direct reports of performance by brand would be dandy, since this one has already succumbed to speculation and fantasy.

The camera is just beginning to come out, so I doubt you'd find many reports of performance, until after a little while.

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Well, just sight seeing I could use 6 hours... Is there a hot swap dual Battery pack where as one is depleted it swaps to the other and you can swap out the discharged one? It's amazing how you don't see these sorts of things.

Yes, I noticed one when I was searching IndiPro i believe. I posted the Dual NP-F970 that output regulated 12VDC as that’s my favourite, but there was a dual that was 7.2VDC using the Sony NP-F970. Anytime you could pull the depleted one, while the camera runs off the other charged one, and replace with a fully charged battery.

I think that’s a great option with the dummy battery connection for the Canon LP-E6 connector now that we’ve heard those 2-pin connectors aren’t yet widely available which is my preferred choice. Somebody at BMD needs to be red-faced over that oversight. We all understand the difficulties building a camera, but difficulty coordinating with a manufacturer to ensure the right cables are ready?
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Art Roberts wrote:Yes Wayne, we've used belt-clips (lead acid) back in the DV/HDV days. Those things were so heavy, you could hardly take two steps before de-stabilizing the camera. And even after you took them off, you'd walk funny for a little while. LOL!

I know. I think most were equipment packs. This guy was going for the full fat controller donut ring all around him look, like a disjointed floatation ring.

Mike Manus

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 am

I tried a new STK battery and it worked. Although, it gave percentages even, they weren't correct. The Blackmagic battery I tested first got 52 minutes just screwing around with the screen at 50% and recording once in a while to an SD card. Then I tried the STK and got around 35 minutes. Not sure of the exact time.

I should mention that about 5 minutes before the BM battery gave out, the lens and camera stopped communicating and remained that way during STK test, so I don't know if the lack of electricity between the two affected the result.

By the way, is there something I can try to bring the lens back to life. I'll try to clean the contacts. Anything else? Both are brand new.

Mark Foster

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 am

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Wayne Steven

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Rick thanks. 'Huston, we have solutions'.

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:35 pm

https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:49 pm

While i don’t have a Pocket 4K yet, I can second Patona as one of he best brands for replacement batteries. I use their NP series on several devices and two Vmount ones on our UM46P without any problem.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

John Paines

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Mike Manus wrote:I tried a new STK battery and it worked. Although, it gave percentages even, they weren't correct. The Blackmagic battery I tested first got 52 minutes just screwing around with the screen at 50% and recording once in a while to an SD card. Then I tried the STK and got around 35 minutes. Not sure of the exact time.

How did you charge the STK battery? There are reports that it won't fully charge in a Canon or similar charger, as opposed to the STK charger, thanks to greater capacity. No idea whether this is accurate.

Denny Smith

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Yes, the OEM Canon Charger does not like third party batteries, including the ones BM ships with their cameras. I got two,of these with the Micro Cameras, and they do not hold their charge very well. Yiu have to recharge them in a their party charger just before using them.

I have tried the Watson bsttereis, they are OK, but I get the best performance and running times with the OEM Canon Battery.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mike Manus

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 2:26 am

John Paines wrote:
How did you charge the STK battery? There are reports that it won't fully charge in a Canon or similar charger, as opposed to the STK charger, thanks to greater capacity. No idea whether this is accurate.

I used an STK charger. Wish STK made a dual charger. Do you know if there's a dual charger thay works well with these? Also, STK batteries are 3 for 2 on amazon now.

focuspulling

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 am

Mike Manus wrote:
John Paines wrote:Also, STK batteries are 3 for 2 on amazon now.

[edit]
Last edited by focuspulling on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Silver

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 3:06 am

focuspulling wrote:
Mike Manus wrote:
John Paines wrote:Also, STK batteries are 3 for 2 on amazon now.

You're confused with some other brand.

Nope. He's correct. I put 3 in the cart, and I got a discount of $13.99, which is the cost of 1.

John Paines

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 3:50 pm

I did not report on any sales at Amazon -- that's somebody else -- but anecdotally, this is what we have so far:

-- Canon. Lasts longer (10-20%?) than BMD, provides accurate power readings.

-- BMD. Inaccurate power reading, may get up to 50 minutes with the screen at 50% and on and off recording. Others reports indicate about half that with screen at 100%, and abrupt shut-offs.

-- Wasabi
-- STK
--DSTE

All of the above: about 1/3 the price of the BMD battery (and 1/5th of the Canon OEM), but substantially shorter life than the BMD battery (60%?), and inaccurate power readings.

No reports for batteries priced in the $25 and $46 range, which includes Swit, Watson, and Green Extreme in the U.S.

Reports on European brands in this price range also pending.

Adam Silver

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 3:59 pm

John Paines wrote:I did not report on any sales at Amazon -- that's somebody else -- but anecdotally, this is what we have so far:

-- Canon. Lasts longer (10-20%?) than BMD, provides accurate power readings.

-- BMD. Inaccurate power reading, may get up to 50 minutes with the screen at 50% and on and off recording. Others reports indicate about half that with screen at 100%, and abrupt shut-offs.

-- Wasabi
-- STK
--DSTE

All of the above: about 1/3 the price of the BMD battery (and 1/5th of the Canon OEM), but substantially shorter life than the BMD battery (60%?), and inaccurate power readings.

No reports for batteries priced in the $25 and $46 range, which includes Stit, Watson, and Green Extreme in the U.S.

Reports on European brands in this price range also pending.

Great compilation, John. I had seen good reviews for Wasabi and STK and decided to buy a couple STKs. Interestingly enough, I have 4 of the BMD batteries that I purchased when I got my Video Assist 4K. They don't last a long time with the VA, but when I use them in my Canon 5D Mark III, they seem to last quite awhile. Definitely up there with the Canon OEM battery, but I'm guessing that the Pocket 4K draws much more power and that likely, the more expensive batteries like the Canon OEM can handle the bigger draw compared to the cheaper batteries. Just my guess.

focuspulling

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Adam Silver wrote:Nope. He's correct. I put 3 in the cart, and I got a discount of $13.99, which is the cost of 1.

Sorry, my bad, I got confused by the Amazon listing and see that it works FWIW.

Adam Silver

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 4:33 pm

focuspulling wrote:
Adam Silver wrote:Nope. He's correct. I put 3 in the cart, and I got a discount of $13.99, which is the cost of 1.

Sorry, my bad, I got confused by the Amazon listing and see that it works FWIW.

All good my friend. :)

joe12south

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 9:58 pm

focuspulling wrote:DSTE third-party batteries worked out alright for me; oddly, they communicate metadata to the camera as to percentage remaining, whereas the generic one included with the camera does not and simply shuts down unexpectedly -- though the included one actually lasted longer despite having a lower printed mAh rating.

How long did the DSTE batteries last, on average?
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 pm

I've started a Google sheet to track options here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I'll endeavor to keep it as up to date as possible.

Adam Silver

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 pm

joe12south wrote:I've started a Google sheet to track options here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Awesome job, Joe!

focuspulling

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 7:06 am

joe12south wrote:
focuspulling wrote:DSTE third-party batteries worked out alright for me; oddly, they communicate metadata to the camera as to percentage remaining, whereas the generic one included with the camera does not and simply shuts down unexpectedly -- though the included one actually lasted longer despite having a lower printed mAh rating.

How long did the DSTE batteries last, on average?

That's something I'm just awful at, without spending time on tests -- I've only run-and-gunned with constant on/off, start/stop activity that doesn't offer any measure of battery performance. But I got a Spidey-sense that the DSTEs lasted about 3/4 as long as the slightly better generic that came with the camera, even though that generic was more flawed in terms of reporting power remaining.

AdamTV

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 7:24 am

Adam Silver wrote:
joe12south wrote:I've started a Google sheet to track options here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Awesome job, Joe!

Thanks for it spread sheet. The Watson battery would be a good addition.

Also note that an important factor for any battery is the “long term life” of the battery. This is harder to quantitate but it’s something people discover after a year or so. Perhaps this could be added to the table over time.

joe12south

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Art Roberts wrote:Being on a gimble, which I believe most people will be using their cameras, will certainly require the trusty old LPE6. Because of weight issues mostly associated with handheld gimble use, you want to go as light weight as possible. You also may be doing short takes and as such frequent battery change. My two cents.

Worth noting that more and more gimbals can power the camera and/or other accessories. If you don't already own a gimbal, worth considering one with this capability.

joe12south

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 2:58 pm

AdamTV wrote:...The Watson battery would be a good addition...

Has anyone reported results? If so, I missed it.

AdamTV

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 3:01 pm

I think they were mentioned but no results yes. B&H often includes them in bonus deals so they are quite widely used.

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Has anyone tried Hahnel or Jupio? Are these even a thing outside odd the Netherlands? They're huge here.

Dean Fisher

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 pm

So I've been using a Juicebox battery with my original pocket camera, so I just picked up this USB to LP-E6 dummy battery.

I've just tested it out on my Canon 60d, and it works fine for the short duration I used it. However, I see the input on the USB side of the cable is 5v, and it converts to 7.2-7.4, which is in line with the LP-E6 needs. However, the Juicebox is a 12v supply. Is there any danger to using this with the BMPCC4K in theory?

joe12south

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Dean Fisher wrote:So I've been using a Juicebox battery with my original pocket camera, so I just picked up this USB to LP-E6 dummy battery.

I've just tested it out on my Canon 60d, and it works fine for the short duration I used it. However, I see the input on the USB side of the cable is 5v, and it converts to 7.2-7.4, which is in line with the LP-E6 needs. However, the Juicebox is a 12v supply. Is there any danger to using this with the BMPCC4K in theory?

If you're going out from the USB port on the battery to the camera, then I think the USB standard limits the output to 5v.

Edward Blume-Poulton

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:24 am

I tried a dummy battery with several power banks, including good Anker and Ravpower units. No go. The Anker got BM to start up but then the camera shut down. Similar dummy with Anker works fine with my Nikon D5200 and older Panasonic consumer 4K. Run all day.

jimyiapanis

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am

For my Australian friends:

I can confirm that LP-E6 2000mAh batteries from betterbatt.com.au behave the same as Canon originals including % remaining readout.

Tim Lota

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Dean Fisher wrote:So I've been using a Juicebox battery with my original pocket camera, so I just picked up this USB to LP-E6 dummy battery.

Why not just use it via the camera's 12v port? That's what I'm planning to do.

Ryan Payne

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 12:49 pm

jimyiapanis wrote:For my Australian friends:

I can confirm that LP-E6 2000mAh batteries from betterbatt.com.au behave the same as Canon originals including % remaining readout.

Great news how did they go for run time? Also i can only find 1600mah ones could you link to the product page? thank you!

jimyiapanis

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Ryan Payne wrote:
jimyiapanis wrote:Great news how did they go for run time? Also i can only find 1600mah ones could you link to the product page? thank you!

Haven't done extensive testing but seem to have similar runtime as the included Blackmagic.

Yes, I noticed that too. The picture shows 1600mAh but the battery I received is rated at 2000mAh. I emailed them about it.

Dean Fisher

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Tim Lota wrote:

Why not just use it via the camera's 12v port? That's what I'm planning to do.
Is someone selling a 12v male DC to 2-pin locking cable? I’ll probably pick one of those up as well.

Thomas Schumacher

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 2:03 pm

After it took DHL four days to deliver inside Berlin, my Canon-branded LP-E6 got stuck after 25 mins of use.

Any advice how to get that thing out? Besides returning the cam and turn my back to BM?
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

focuspulling

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Dean Fisher wrote:Is someone selling a 12v male DC to 2-pin locking cable? I’ll probably pick one of those up as well.

Right here, e.g.: https://bhpho.to/2Advj3y (expecting availability in two weeks)

focuspulling

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Thomas Schumacher wrote:After it took DHL four days to deliver inside Berlin, my Canon-branded LP-E6 got stuck after 25 mins of use.

Any advice how to get that thing out? Besides returning the cam and turn my back to BM?

I actually ran into this too, with a dummy battery. Frankly led to some prying out with a screwdriver, which wasn't exactly confident and resulted in a tiny plastic fragment chipping off. But, once free, shine a light into the compartment and make sure there isn't some debris down there (maybe in the first place) causing obstruction/getting stuck.

rick.lang

3rd party LP-E6 Batteries in Pocket 4K

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Joe posted this custom cable from Wooden Camera recently. It may be expensive but if you need it ‘now’ it’s going to arrive before BMD’s cheaper bundle.

https://www.woodencamera.com/d-tap-to-b ... 264100.htm

Rick Lang

Jim Giberti

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Seems like there may be a tolerance issue with the battery compartment design/manufacture.
I got a new battery stuck during a shoot on Sunday.

Less than ideal conditions - wilderness, mountain bike scenes, perfect light.
My assistant handed me the trusy multi-tool from the bag and I had to pry it out standing on a rock ledge.
I really didn't have time to worry about the camera - I would have gaffer taped a new battery in if necessary.

It survived but there are way too many stories in a very short time of this problem.

Jim Giberti

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Regarding a D-tap solution.
If you're using the 8Sinn cage, there's a real problem accessing the power input if you're running XLR audio.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography