SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card NOT supported on BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

quaglinoman

SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card NOT supported on BMPCC

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 4:51 am

Just a heads up, for anyone looking at still picking up the older BMPCC. I have tested 7 SD Cards, oddly the cards that do NOT work are the cards recommended by Blackmagic as supported.

The catch??? I need to confirm this one but the irony is that the NEWER SanDisk Extreme Pro cards are not supported, with v30 designation, format all you wish, "No Card" error will be there. I was able to get RAW working on an old SanDisk Extreme 60MBs before v30.

It is sad as the older cards no no longer made are skyrocketing in price oddly and basically eliminated RAW shooting on the camera unless you find very old SD Cards.

I tried a 64GB, 2 different brand new 128GBs, and a 256GB v30 Extreme Pro, all read "No Card". Is there any way to roll out just 1 more simple firmware update to allow cards to still be used for RAW??

I had a Lexar even work, ProRes only but the hilarity that the exact card recommended was not, even Amazon did not know there was a difference. Perhaps if BM can pick a 16GB v30 up to test and see???

If anything I wanted to give a warning to any BMPCC users that if you got the SanDisk Extreme Pro as requested by BM, make sure you get the older version, a non-v30 designation. I had my friend send me a pick of his that worked great, the only difference....no tiny v30 written on his cards.

UPDATE!!!!
And it is confirmed.

v30 Extreme Pros do NOT work. Also, be careful, Amazon may have the correct model number listed but they sent me the new version 4 times, with 5 v30 cards all tested, formatted 64GB, two 128GBs and 2 256GBs...all NO CARD.

I went to B&H, They confirmed the model number, alas these are running out of stock asap and they had a 512GB only of this model. I had no choice and if I wanted RAW I felt these would become even rarer so I picked it up.

Was delivered today.
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 1 Model# SDSDXP-512G-A46

Formatted on my computer, put into BMPCC...turned it on and BAM!!!!!

"Ready"

It read the card immediately, so yes, you need a specific model number of the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card. If it says v30....it will not work.

Non V30 SKU is SDSDXPA-256G - Should work fine 256GB version
Extreme Pro V30 SKU is SDSDXXG-256G - Guaranteed will not work...notice the "SDSDXX"

The difference??? Apparently the v30 has a rated minimum sustained write speed of 30MB/s, you would think BMPCC would crave that.

I know have over 2 hours of RAW on my Card....whatever.
Last edited by quaglinoman on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

blastitt

Re: SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card NOT supported on BMPCC

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm

You're absolutely right.

SanDisk and retailers consider the newer V30 cards to be interchangeable with the older non-V30 cards. Even the listing on Amazon and other sites for the older cards (for $20 more than the newer ones!) actually ship the newer ones. After 4 attempts and multiple inquiries with other sellers, I have been unable to acquire one of the older non-V30 cards.

My PNY SDXC works fine up to ProRes LT, but I would like to be able to record HQ even if I can't do RAW. Do you know of any cards that can reliably record up to HQ?

I've been in contact with BMD and they say they're going to get in contact with SanDisk about the changes between the two versions, so hopefully they can fix the compatibility issues with a firmware update.

John Paines

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 pm

Are they recommending anything else in the meantime?

Mark Grgurev

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 7:59 pm

The list of recommended media are only for cards that can shoot 4K DCI Lossless RAW 24 fps, 1080p Lossless RAW 60 fps, 4K DCI 4:1 RAW 60 fps, and 4K DCI ProRes HQ 60 fps.

That doesn't mean that you can't use other cards to shoot in other modes. If you want to shoot lossless 1080p RAW at 30fps then of course you can use the UHS-I SanDisk Extreme Pros just like you could on the original BMPCC. In fact you can shoot up to 4:1 RAW 4K DCI 24 fps on those cards and they can most likely record around 100 fps in 1080p 4:1.

Edit: Oops, should have read your whole post. Sorry.
Last edited by Mark Grgurev on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Paines

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm

This thread concerns the original BMPCC -- not the BMPCC 4K. Apparently the current version of the Extreme Pro 95gb cards won't work in the older camera.

I can confirm that the original Extreme Pro 95gb SD card record Prores HQ HD, UHD and 4K, and UHD 4:1 raw, @23.976, in the BMPCC 4K. Whether the current version of this card ("v30") will be recognized by the BMPCC 4K is an open question, unless somebody here can confirm or deny.

burningarms

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 4:00 am

I'm glad more posts are coming up about this. I had the exact same issue with two new, legit Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB V30 cards. Both said "No Card".

Whoever hears back from Blackmagic about this, please post back with answers if they don't do so themselves.

Really hoping I'll be able to continue using my BMPCC with new cards.

Steve Holmlund

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 10:22 pm

Went to BestBuy in Mountain View, CA today to get some spares because their website showed the old version. But alas, they only have the V30 kind.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

arabadzhiyski

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 11:12 am

I have a 64GB V30, purchased in August, and a 128GB V30, purchased 2 weeks ago. The 64GB - no problem, the 128GB - No Card.

Eugenia Loli

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 12:35 am

Blackmagic should release an updated firmware, even if the BMPCC is discontinued. It's a popular product, and people still use it. Even if Sandisk made the change, these cards work without issues on other devices. The problem is with BM's firmware no doubt.
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

prysme

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 12:12 pm

I got the same exact issue with 2 card bought from amazon, both v30, both no card ...

BM please releases a new FW to address this !!

thanks.

John Paines

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 3:07 pm

As noted on the other and much longer thread on this issue, some V30 cards do work. It depends on the serial number. In some cases, you can tell from the packaging.

The current product line of 64gb and 128gb V30 cards don't work and those are the cards the larger authorized dealers are selling at this point. Other dealers may have the older varieties, including v30s which do work.

JoshuOne Barnes

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm

This is an issue with the Video Assist 5" as well. And the VA5 is a product BM still sells. A fix for this issue should apply to the BMPCC also. One note the only cards for full resolution recording on the VA5 are the extreme pros... When I talked to BM about this issue they said they were aware of the issue, but had no other cards tested in order to recommend... Sandisk was helpful as they have test units and could confirm the newer cards do not work in the VA5, the BMPCC probably as well... Waiting for an update from BM, but in the meantime SanDisk claims the (much much more expensive) UHS-2 cards should work in the VA5... The 128GB cards are $240 a pop! I am awaiting a pair of them in mail and will try to update here if they do indeed work... But really we should not have to pay $$$ to do our own testing to see which cards work since the recommended cards don't... BM should come through with a fix for the pocket and the VA...

MannyB

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 am

Hi I recently picked up a BMMCC and purchased a new 64GB SD card (SDSDXXG-064G-GN4IN) which did not work.

From a different retailer, I bought up a 32GB (SDSDXXG-032G-GN4IN) which DID work!

So one v30 worked, one didn't :(

I contacted Sandisk to report the issue. At first they said I could send it back for a replacement (though I couln't find how to do this from Australia), but in a follow up message, they told me to get a UHSII card. Obviously the support person wasn't familiar with the BM camera requirements.

Jengabean

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 pm

John Paines wrote:As noted on the other and much longer thread on this issue, some V30 cards do work. It depends on the serial number. In some cases, you can tell from the packaging.

The current product line of 64gb and 128gb V30 cards don't work and those are the cards the larger authorized dealers are selling at this point. Other dealers may have the older varieties, including v30s which do work.

@John Paines - Can you provide a link to this longer thread? I'd like to learn about the serial number differentiation as I have 6x Sandisk ExtremePro 95mb/s cards and I'm finding now that only 2 are pre-V30 and 4 are post V30. So far they all seem to work for Prores in the BMPCC so far but the two newest ones (purchase in Sept and Nov '18) haven't been used too much. They all seem to register (do not say "no card") after formatting as exFAT. 3 of the V30 cards are 32GB and 1 is 64Gb. I'm concerned that maybe I've been lulled into a false sense of security and I will find out on a trip where i cannot fix it that some or all of them will not work for Raw or prores over a certain amount of time. Please advise!

tapetown

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Anyone heard anything new about this?

Also having the problem with a 128gb.

I find it futile trying to send it back 100 times just to get the same issue.
Waste of mail.

WOuld be great with a fix for the old BMs

Bowser

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 10:57 am

I can confirm the issue related to SanDisk SD cards.

We had a couple of 128Gb cards that worked fine. Here are the precise specs :
Sandisk Extreme PRO 128 GB - 95MB/s - Class 10, U3, v30

Since they worked fine, we later purchased the 256GB version, with similar specs. To our surprise, they didn't worked. Once formatted as exFat (in both PC or Mac), inserted in several device Video Assist 4K (we have 4 of those), the devices couldn't find the card.

We replaced those with exactly (or so we thought) the same cards that are working, the first I mentioned. But here, we ended up with the same result : NO CARD

Many spending and lost time later, we only have 2 128GB cards that we share between desks.

The only difference we could figure out is the serial number at the back of the SD card pack. We found that ourselves, faulty cards come from a different batch. Some comments above mentioned this. And indeed, in the technical support page, the serial number is specified. But it looks more like an overkill of informations than a clear instructions to ONLY buy those with the proper serial number. There's no mention that Sandisk with a different code at the end of the serial number won't be recognized.

Did anyone found an explanation why this is happening ?
Is BlackMagic the only company suffering from this issue ?
Is there a REAL solution on its way ? (Asking us to exchange the card or check the serial number on the back of the package is not realistic)

A mention of this issue on the product page would show honesty and acknowledgement.

And please, please Blackmagic: having all relevant documents, news and drivers update on the product page directly would be so helpful.

For reference, here's the list of Sandisk SD cards that show the "serial number" :

SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB SDSDXP-016G-A46
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDSDXP-032G-A46
SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDSDXP-064G-A46
SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDSDXP-128G-A46
SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB SDSDXP-256G-A46
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB SDSDXP-512G-A46

The following one is not working for us:
SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDSDXXG-128G-GN4IN

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 12:27 am

Several threads like this. BMD did add a sticky thread for Sandisk problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography