Chroma Moire Removal in Resolve 9 : Thread Going

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kholi Hicks

Chroma Moire Removal in Resolve 9 : Thread Going

PostThu May 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey Guys n'gals,

Got a thread going over on the other forum (Hope it's okay to link there) but thanks to Paul Del Vecchio's Chroma Moire removal setup and Jason Greene's advice on the nodes, finally feels like there's a workable temporary solution to the moire. Not aliasing, which to me isn't nearly as big a deal, but the dancing rainbows in patterns.

You can see the latest post here: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2 ... #post63976

It takes hardly any time in Resolve and the results in motion are acceptable to my eyes.

Paul's Chroma Noise removal setup's here:

One step at a time!
Kholi Hicks

Christian Schmeer

Re: Chroma Moire Removal in Resolve 9 : Thread Going

PostThu May 16, 2013 5:21 pm

I've been using Paul's technique for a while. Works great :) What I'd love to be able to do is remove chromatic aberration in Resolve, kind of like Lightroom does.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Kholi Hicks

Re: Chroma Moire Removal in Resolve 9 : Thread Going

PostThu May 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:I've been using Paul's technique for a while. Works great :) What I'd love to be able to do is remove chromatic aberration in Resolve, kind of like Lightroom does.

My problem was not being able to create a power window around the moire. By doing it to the entire image it drains the color from flesh, makes it unpleasant to me. That's why I've never suggested it until now.

Also, just key CA out. A node or two would do it, especially if it's stark green or blue.

All you have to do is reduce saturation until it's gone.
Kholi Hicks

Return to Cinematography