External Monitor and cables

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

fastblur

External Monitor and cables

PostFri May 17, 2013 1:18 am

Hello guys, finally we will receive the camera (2k) in the next days, and we are now looking at the first essential stuff to pick.One of the tools is this ext. monitor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827348-REG/Ikan_VX9E_C_8_9_Hd_Sdi_LCD_Monitor.html
(there are better one but this is the one for now.)
My questions are:
    What kind of cables do we need for this monitor and BM ?
    Do we need a converter?
(we also have a 5D MIII)
We really appreciate your help and/or links, since we leave in a small lost Island and we need to be sure about the equipment we order.
Thanks for your help !
Arthur

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: External Monitor and cables

PostFri May 17, 2013 3:58 am

That monitor has a standard BNC connector on its HD-SDI video input, so you just need an ordinary BNC-to-BNC cable (B&H sells them in many different lengths). The monitor's specs indicates that it should be compatible with the BMCC's HD-SDI output (so, you don't need a converter).

Plus: A power source for the monitor (IKAN & B&H can recommend battery/power solutions for the monitor.)

The monitor is compatible with power voltages from 7.5-24VDC, and the BMCC requires 12-30VDC. So, if you want to you could use one 12-24VDC battery to power both the monitor & the camera. Again, IKAN & B&H sells cable & battery solutions that can do this.

-

fastblur

PostFri May 17, 2013 4:04 am

Thank Peter, in fact an additional battery for the camera is in the cart.But I guess the solution you offer is more convenient.You say to plug the cam and the monitor into a unique powerful battery, better than by another 200+ BM battery right ?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri May 17, 2013 4:09 am

fastblur wrote:Thank Peter, in fact an additional battery for the camera is in the cart.But I guess the solution you offer is more convenient.You say to plug the cam and the monitor into a unique powerful battery, better than by another 200+ BM battery right ?

Not sure I understand your question, regrets. Perhaps you can rephrase it?

fastblur

PostFri May 17, 2013 4:16 am

Sorry about the mess.
So, if you want to you could use one 12-24VDC battery to power both the monitor & the camera

is this a better solution more than buy another BM battery ?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri May 17, 2013 4:37 am

fastblur wrote:Sorry about the mess.
So, if you want to you could use one 12-24VDC battery to power both the monitor & the camera

is this a better solution more than buy another BM battery ?

It could be, but that's up to you. It's convenient to use one battery instead of multiple batteries.

If the battery you choose has a p-tap or d-tap connector (2 names for the same thing), this item from Anton-Bauer is handy:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... Multi.html

There might be battery mounting plates, some with built-in multiple power outlets, described in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6077

-

fastblur

PostFri May 17, 2013 4:41 am

Thanks a lot for you help I will check and follow your advices.We are in the process to add some more stuff to the camera so I will be back :D
Thanks !

Arthur

Return to Cinematography