Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Aaron Scheiner

  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm
  • Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostSun May 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I was just wondering if anyone's used Canon's 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens with the BMCC ? I've just bought one and I'm about to buy another, I was just wondering how sharp the lens is and how effective the IS is ?

Thanks :)
Offline
User avatar

Christian Schmeer

  • Posts: 904
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm
  • Location: London, UK

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostSun May 19, 2013 2:10 pm

I rented one for this project:

I can't comment on Image Stabilisation, as I only used it on a tripod head and slider, but in terms of sharpness, it is very good. The other lens I had with me was a Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, and the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS had considerably less chromatic aberration.

The Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens is on my "to buy" list :)
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer
Offline
User avatar

Aaron Scheiner

  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm
  • Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostSun May 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks Christian!

Of the tests I've seen so far, which compared Sigma and Tokina equivalents the Canon seemed the best. I just picked one up on eBay for $740, which is cheaper than what they go for locally in Cape Town.

I found myself shooting handheld the other day with a Sigma 17-85mm IS (f/3.5-f/5.6). I was shooting indoors and I found the lens to be a little slow for that particular situation... an extra stop would have helped a lot. I have a 16-35mm f/2.8 but it's not IS and I've found handheld works far better with a bit of IS thrown in.
Offline
User avatar

adamroberts

  • Posts: 4514
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 am
  • Location: England, UK

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostSun May 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Many people have been using that lens. There are many example out there.

Here is a BTS showing James Tonkin shooting with that lens:
https://vimeo.com/m/56082897
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 13843
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostSun May 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:I rented one for this project:

I can't comment on Image Stabilisation, as I only used it on a tripod head and slider, but in terms of sharpness, it is very good. The other lens I had with me was a Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, and the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS had considerably less chromatic aberration.

The Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens is on my "to buy" list :)


That also was on my list but someone suggested the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 was a very good choice at significantly less cost and would match better with the Tokina and the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 that is also on my list. The Sigmas also have image stabilization and the most recent edition has improved CA.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang
Offline

Brian@202020

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostSun May 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Sell it and get the Sigma 17-50 f2.8. It gets better reviews than the Canon 17-55 f2.8 and it's half the price new. You could have got a new Sigma for less than you paid for the used Canon. I bought the Nikon version last year and it was one of my best purchases I've ever made.

Nikon version
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689623-REG/Sigma_583306_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

Canon version
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG/Sigma_583101_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1434
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostMon May 20, 2013 7:10 am

I disagree. The Sigma is nowhere as good as the Canon. The Tamron all but eliminates CA, but it's not as sharp as the Canon.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

The Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS is an awesome lens. If you've got it, you'll be happy with it!

sean
Offline
User avatar

Aaron Scheiner

  • Posts: 341
  • Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm
  • Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostMon May 20, 2013 8:52 am

That was the review I was looking at (amongst others). A lot of reviews show that the Sigma has better resolving power... but when you look at the test shots in that review the Canon looks like the best.

I find it interesting that there is such a varied opinion of these lenses on this thread, differences between batches ?
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostMon May 20, 2013 9:02 am

sean mclennan wrote:I disagree. The Sigma is nowhere as good as the Canon. The Tamron all but eliminates CA, but it's not as sharp as the Canon.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

The Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS is an awesome lens. If you've got it, you'll be happy with it!

sean


Wrong Sean, The Tamron is a great lens but not as sharp, and the canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS has it's place, but The Sigma 17-50mm for video on a BMCC or BMPC 4K, kicks ass, No doubt about it.

If you don't have these lenses or have them to compare on the BMCC, then please don't just post "WEB Reviews" based on photographs, as any lens from this point on needs testing on the BMCC
for a worthy review.

cheers
Offline

Brian@202020

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostMon May 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:I disagree. The Sigma is nowhere as good as the Canon. The Tamron all but eliminates CA, but it's not as sharp as the Canon.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

The Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS is an awesome lens. If you've got it, you'll be happy with it!

sean


Wrong Sean, The Tamron is a great lens but not as sharp, and the canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS has it's place, but The Sigma 17-50mm for video on a BMCC or BMPC 4K, kicks ass, No doubt about it.

If you don't have these lenses or have them to compare on the BMCC, then please don't just post "WEB Reviews" based on photographs, as any lens from this point on needs testing on the BMCC
for a worthy review.

cheers


Agreed, I've used both on my old AF100, my GH2, a 7D, and a RED Scarlet many times and the Sigma is sharper at every f-stop.
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1662
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostMon May 20, 2013 4:46 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
The Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS is an awesome lens. If you've got it, you'll be happy with it!



I second that. The 17-55 is my workhorse glass, when I have to move fast and need to go handheld.
I tried the Sigma (hoped to save some bucks) and the Canon. Liked the IS of the Cannon better, since the Sigma IS sometimes jumps. Both IS are made for shooting stills, but the Canon works better for video IMHO.

Regarding sharpness, actually it doesn't mater much. Both outres the BMC by far and for my taste, they are both (like most modern glass) too sharp anyway, so I tend to use a 1/8 Hollywood Black Magic filter from Schneider Optics, to make it less videoish.

http://provideocoalition.com/aadams/sto ... ter_tests/
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)
Offline

Iain Anderson

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 am

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostSun May 26, 2013 1:54 pm

rick.lang wrote:That also was on my list but someone suggested the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 was a very good choice at significantly less cost and would match better with the Tokina and the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 that is also on my list. The Sigmas also have image stabilization and the most recent edition has improved CA.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


Here's a video I shot on the Sigma 17-50 on my BMCC a few months ago:


I did try the Canon too, but they were both sharp and the Canon wasn't worth the huge price increase.
Offline
User avatar

Cristobal Infante

  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostMon May 27, 2013 2:36 am

If you check my website http://bmcc.tv you will see a lens tag on the right hand.

This will filter all videos submitted with any given lens, hope it's usefull!
Offline
User avatar

Jason Greene

  • Posts: 140
  • Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:03 pm
  • Location: Illinois

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostFri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Regarding sharpness, actually it doesn't mater much. Both outres the BMC by far and for my taste, they are both (like most modern glass) too sharp anyway, so I tend to use a 1/8 Hollywood Black Magic filter from Schneider Optics, to make it less videoish.


Frank - Does the Hollywood Black Magic filter happen to help reduce moire on the BMCC?
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1662
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Anyone using the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ?

PostFri May 31, 2013 2:05 pm

Maybe a hair, but nothing to write home about.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests