Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Username

  • Posts: 206
  • Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am
  • Real Name: Petter Flink

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 pm

I wanted to report that I tried the other high performance card from Integral and I was able to record every option available. :)
I formatted the card as HFS+ in my BMMCC and set the codec/fps and recorded.
Filled the card without dropped frame.
Reformatted it again, changed the codec/fps and ran again.
Ones for each bitrate/framerate below. Not a single dropped frame.

30fps cDNG RAW
60fps ProRes 422HQ
60fps 3:1 cDNG RAW

Integral Ultima Pro 256GB.
Part Code: INSDX256G-100/90V30
EAN: 5055288441309
Price for the 256GB card at Amazon.co.uk is today listed at: £22.39
https://www.amazon.co.uk/512Gb-Ultra-HD ... B07FBB8K9N


The 256 GB card have the higher specifications:
Ultra-fast read / write, with up to 100 MB/s* read and 90 MB/s* write (256GB)

The 128 and 512GB are little lower speced at 100/80. I have NOT tried the 512GB card!


Image
Last edited by Username on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC
Resolve Studio 16.2.5 - Fusion Studio 16.2.4
Mac mini & MBP 16GB - PowerColor Vega 56 8GB
Offline

Moooser

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 am
  • Real Name: Neil Simonsen

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Another positive vote for the Integral Ultima Pro 256GB - I purchased one for my BMPCC and have recorded RAW 25fps with no problems.

The price is a big win - can afford to stock up on three or four of these without breaking the bank!
Offline

John Sklba

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:31 am

Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?
Offline

cristianpedrera

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 am
  • Real Name: Cristian Pedrera

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:07 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?
I have the same experience with 2 CanvasReact 128GB cards. I have returned them and today I should get an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card that they also recommend here.
I wish it really works ... As soon as I arrive I will do the tests.

I wrote to Blackmagic and they responded with the link to the forum. I hope to find answers here!

Cheers
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?


There seem to be variations among the cameras; I have only tried the 128GB version of the Canvas React so far, and have had no issues with that one whatsoever; some have reported success with the 256GB card also, while you are not the first to report having issues with the 256GB card. There may be some manufacturing variations among the cards also - hard to be sure.
Offline

Username

  • Posts: 206
  • Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am
  • Real Name: Petter Flink

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.
Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC
Resolve Studio 16.2.5 - Fusion Studio 16.2.4
Mac mini & MBP 16GB - PowerColor Vega 56 8GB
Offline

JustinBacle

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 pm

I got the integra 128 Gb and it seems to work perfectly (tested quickly in Raw 25fps). I ordered 2 new ones since the first one seem to work !
Offline

John Sklba

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?


There seem to be variations among the cameras; I have only tried the 128GB version of the Canvas React so far, and have had no issues with that one whatsoever; some have reported success with the 256GB card also, while you are not the first to report having issues with the 256GB card. There may be some manufacturing variations among the cards also - hard to be sure.



It's weird. I came home to test the card, and it seemed to perform fine that time. Maybe just gotta keep in mind that 10 minute limit. Sigh. Why did my Sandisk have to break....
Offline

John Sklba

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.



Are you referring to the kingsport cards? I checked and mines in Exfat.
Offline

Username

  • Posts: 206
  • Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am
  • Real Name: Petter Flink

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 pm

John Sklba wrote:
Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.


Are you referring to the kingsport cards? I checked and mines in Exfat.


Yes.
Give it a try.
I understand it might be less than optimal if you work on windows in post but do give it a try.
Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC
Resolve Studio 16.2.5 - Fusion Studio 16.2.4
Mac mini & MBP 16GB - PowerColor Vega 56 8GB
Offline

John Sklba

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 am

Username wrote:
John Sklba wrote:
Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.


Are you referring to the kingsport cards? I checked and mines in Exfat.


Yes.
Give it a try.
I understand it might be less than optimal if you work on windows in post but do give it a try.


Yeah, I'm trying to dump the card and it's not letting me access it. Any ideas for getting around this?
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 2:40 pm

John Sklba wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to dump the card and it's not letting me access it. Any ideas for getting around this?


If you are on Windows and formatted the card with HFS+ you will need a 3rd-party solution for accessing native Mac filesystems under Windows.


There are some examples listed here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-re ... e-windows/


Note that I have no experience with any of those. When I want to access a Mac filesystem, I just use a Mac.
Offline

cristianpedrera

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 am
  • Real Name: Cristian Pedrera

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:13 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:
John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?
I have the same experience with 2 CanvasReact 128GB cards. I have returned them and today I should get an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card that they also recommend here.
I wish it really works ... As soon as I arrive I will do the tests.

I wrote to Blackmagic and they responded with the link to the forum. I hope to find answers here!

Cheers
I just tried an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card in the BMPCC, in the BMMCC and in the Video Assist 5 "
The tests performed consist of placing the camera in front of the television (a lot of visual movement) and recording RAW at 30fps and 25fps

The results:

BMPCC:
-RAW 30fps (40 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, drop frames appear quickly)
-RAW 25fps (5 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, the dropped frames appear quickly)
I don't understand these results, 25fps are supposed to be less stressful ...

BMMCC:
-RAW 30fps (3 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several minutes but they appear dropped frames sooner or later)
-RAW 25fps (10 seconds of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds and rarely of 1 or 2 minutes but they appear dropped frames sooner or later)
-RAW 3: 1 60fps (28 seconds of RAW 3: 1, from here start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, drop frames appear quickly)
-RAW 3: 1 50fps (32 minutes of RAW 3: 1, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several minutes, the dropped frames appear soon)

Video Assist 5 ":
-ProRes HQ 1080p 60fps (72 minutes of ProRes HQ with no apparent problems and no signal of dropped frames. The strange thing is that a clip of 64 minutes and another of 8 minutes have been made. It seems that they are continuous and there is no dropped frame between two clips, so I don't understand why 2 clips have been made)

A couple of weeks ago my 6 Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 / MB 128GB cards (V30 model) have stopped working properly. But until then I could record the cards completely in RAW 30fps.
I do not understand what may be happening, is it possible that it is the fault of the cameras? I don't know, are the groove contacts dirty or somewhat similar?
I have talked to Sandisk and they tell me that they change my cards, but I'm afraid to continue having the same problem, I can't find cards compatible with the cameras, and I need them to work ... Blackmagic just tells me to use SDXXP model cards (like You know it is not easy to get them and they are no longer manufactured) or that I look in this forum, but from what I see in this forum there are some cards that for some work correctly and for others not.
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 6:45 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:I don't understand these results, 25fps are supposed to be less stressful ...


I have seen this with several cards from different brands. One time it will go X minutes before dropping frames, then next time Y minutes, and it seems to be effectively random with no obvious rhyme or reason to it. Frame rate doesn't seem to have anything to do with this.
Offline

Username

  • Posts: 206
  • Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am
  • Real Name: Petter Flink

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 pm

That is really strange.

Download the CPDT
https://github.com/maxim-saplin/CrossPl ... t/releases

And run d a few tests and see if write speed for the card is stable or if something have happen to it and write speed drops in a certain interval or just fluctuate a lot.
Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC
Resolve Studio 16.2.5 - Fusion Studio 16.2.4
Mac mini & MBP 16GB - PowerColor Vega 56 8GB
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 3135
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 12:34 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:I have talked to Sandisk and they tell me that they change my cards, but I'm afraid to continue having the same problem, I can't find cards compatible with the cameras, and I need them to work ... Blackmagic just tells me to use SDXXP model cards (like You know it is not easy to get them and they are no longer manufactured) or that I look in this forum, but from what I see in this forum there are some cards that for some work correctly and for others not.


There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

So here again a perfectly working solution but for a higher price:
viewtopic.php?p=534750#p534750
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

Username

  • Posts: 206
  • Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am
  • Real Name: Petter Flink

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

So here again a perfectly working solution but for a higher price:
viewtopic.php?p=534750#p534750


It's great that Angelbird seeped up and offers a patched card that works for us.
But priced at 900% of the Integral cards - it might be hard to swallow for some of us.
Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC
Resolve Studio 16.2.5 - Fusion Studio 16.2.4
Mac mini & MBP 16GB - PowerColor Vega 56 8GB
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.


This is a good point too. I have only used HFS+ formatted cards; not sure how much of a difference that actually makes in practice but I wonder if some of the differing results could actually tie back to that?
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 3135
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Username wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

So here again a perfectly working solution but for a higher price:
viewtopic.php?p=534750#p534750


It's great that Angelbird seeped up and offers a patched card that works for us.
But priced at 900% of the Integral cards - it might be hard to swallow for some of us.


Well, ask yourself why that Integral is sold at that low price...
Their v60 and v90 are more in the price range of the Angelbird cards.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

Username

  • Posts: 206
  • Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am
  • Real Name: Petter Flink

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 3:23 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Username wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

So here again a perfectly working solution but for a higher price:
viewtopic.php?p=534750#p534750


It's great that Angelbird seeped up and offers a patched card that works for us.
But priced at 900% of the Integral cards - it might be hard to swallow for some of us.


Well, ask yourself why that Integral is sold at that low price...
Their v60 and v90 are more in the price range of the Angelbird cards.


Do higher price really equals higher quality?
As we are searching for cards that works in the Pocket and Cinema, paying extra for unneeded (V60/V90) performance appears not be necessary when choosing Integral cards.

Integral stand by these cards and offers a 5 year warranty - while Angelbird only do 1 or 2 years. 3 years if you register the cards within 30 days.
Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC
Resolve Studio 16.2.5 - Fusion Studio 16.2.4
Mac mini & MBP 16GB - PowerColor Vega 56 8GB
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 3135
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:28 pm

Username wrote:Do higher price really equals higher quality?
As we are searching for cards that works in the Pocket and Cinema, paying extra for unneeded (V60/V90) performance appears not be necessary when choosing Integral cards.

Integral stand by these cards and offers a 5 year warranty - while Angelbird only do 1 or 2 years. 3 years if you register the cards within 30 days.


Look, we can discuss this around in circles and getting nowhere. Fact is I used some direct contacts I have to Angelbird, told them about the problem BMPCC users are facing, they put in some engineering work and made it happen so you can buy a compatible SD card for your old camera. You can honor that and buy the card from them which is guaranteed to work - or you can keep buying Integral cards which may or may not work. It is up to you. I am not affected anyway as I don't use that camera.
But I understand that for some users money is tight and they have to find cheaper alternatives. No hard feelings about that.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

YOLKLAB

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:50 am
  • Real Name: David Sekanina

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:08 pm

I agree with Robert, the angelbird cards (ordered directly from them) work flawlessly and the peace of mind alone is worth the price.
Offline

gfagien

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:47 pm
  • Real Name: Geoffrey Fagien

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostSun Dec 29, 2019 12:25 am

Ive been using the integral 256 card, but after 6 minutes of raw recording it starts to skip frames for me
Geoff Fagien
Cinematographer/Editor
Offline

John Sklba

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 am

Bit the bullet and bought a San Disk 512 today. Here's hoping it's legit.

Had my Kingston give me crap today while doing 4k in my Panasonic G7. So much for that card being being useful.
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bit the bullet and bought a San Disk 512 today. Here's hoping it's legit.

Had my Kingston give me crap today while doing 4k in my Panasonic G7. So much for that card being being useful.


The G7 supports UHS II cards. I wouldn't bother with the UHS I cards for that camera if you are shooting video, particularly at 4K.
Offline

Gabor Tomor

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:50 pm
  • Location: Budapest

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 am

Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly.


After I've got my replacement from Angelbird (first card got dropped frames with cDNG 3:1 60P) I still started to get the same results. Dropped frames with 60p. So I let it go... I do not want to send cards back and forth and maybe (but MAYBE) got a card which is somehow will work.


I do not record much 60p anyway. So no, Angelbird is also not an ultimate solution.
Offline
User avatar

Robert Niessner

  • Posts: 3135
  • Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:51 am
  • Location: Graz, Austria

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Gabor Tomor wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly.


After I've got my replacement from Angelbird (first card got dropped frames with cDNG 3:1 60P) I still started to get the same results. Dropped frames with 60p. So I let it go... I do not want to send cards back and forth and maybe (but MAYBE) got a card which is somehow will work.


I do not record much 60p anyway. So no, Angelbird is also not an ultimate solution.


Sorry, but the Pocket Cinema Camera never was able to record in more than 30p. And the fix Angelbird issued was for the Pocket Cinema Camera and the Videoassist.
No one claimed that CDNG 3:1 60p will work
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
Offline

Gabor Tomor

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:50 pm
  • Location: Budapest

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Sorry, but the Pocket Cinema Camera never was able to record in more than 30p.

No one claimed that CDNG 3:1 60p will work



Sorry but I referred to BMMCC. As before. And to quote Angelbird's support:
angelbird.jpg
angelbird.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 9794 times


But as I also said: it does not matter. Let it go. Just information for everybody who is thinking in the same.
Offline

Malksharan

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:09 am
  • Real Name: Yann Parodi

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 11:19 am

Do we have newson this subject ? I tried the integral 256. Drop frames after 3minutes in 60p CDNG 3:1
I will buy another one and check. I need at least two of them. So i will see if it is different.
Offline

Gabor Tomor

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:50 pm
  • Location: Budapest

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Malksharan wrote:Do we have newson this subject ? I tried the integral 256. Drop frames after 3minutes in 60p CDNG 3:1


Integral cards don't work. I tested the 128Gb Gold version, I have got drop frames less than 1minute.

However, maybe finally I found a working one!
I have just got a new Kingston Canvas Select PLUS (important, not the default Canvas Select) and for the very first test I was able to record 8Gb (2+ minutes) 3:1 cDNG without dropping frames.
(edit: of course I referred to 60p cDNG 3:1)

This is the card:
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory-cards/canvas-select-plus-sd-card

You will need a minimum of 128Gb. I will make other tests but for first this sounds promising!
Offline

Engineer

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:26 am
  • Real Name: ludek Aschenbrenner

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 2:44 am

Hi,
I also test these cards and they work well
I tested Canvas select plus 128GB and 256GB on BMPCC and BMMCC. No problems up to 50FPS RAW3: 1 - whole card 256GB without lost frame :D
I also tested the Canvas React 256GB. Works on BMPCC only up to 25p.
Offline

jonaskiero

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:39 pm
  • Real Name: jonathan pino

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 12:55 pm

this card worked for me completely
it is a sandisk extreme pro card of 95mb of 128g I do not know what the lot will be but on the back it is made in china and code BP1714250824G
Offline

soylentjames

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:09 am
  • Real Name: James Salmon

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:12 am

Gabor Tomor wrote:
Integral cards don't work. I tested the 128Gb Gold version, I have got drop frames less than 1minute.

However, maybe finally I found a working one!
I have just got a new Kingston Canvas Select PLUS (important, not the default Canvas Select) and for the very first test I was able to record 8Gb (2+ minutes) 3:1 cDNG without dropping frames.
(edit: of course I referred to 60p cDNG 3:1)

You will need a minimum of 128Gb. I will make other tests but for first this sounds promising!


Hi Gabor - I just wanted to confirm that these still/ do work for the original BMPCC. I'm also finding two different variants of the Canvas Select Plus MPN #:

1. (SDS2/256GBCR)

2. (SDS2/256GBET)

Did you use either of these during your tests? Just trying to figure out which to purchase! Thank you in advance, you're a lifesaver!
Offline

Gabor Tomor

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:50 pm
  • Location: Budapest

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:14 pm

soylentjames wrote:I'm also finding two different variants of the Canvas Select Plus MPN #:

1. (SDS2/256GBCR)

2. (SDS2/256GBET)

Did you use either of these during your tests? Just trying to figure out which to purchase! Thank you in advance, you're a lifesaver!



Hi James,

I'm sorry, I do not know exactly which one I got and what is the difference... On the card I do not see these keywords, and I also tried to check Kingston's website without success.

You can also check Kingston's latest UHS-I card which is the Canvas Go! Plus card. According to their spec sheet it is even faster than the Canvas Select Plus. I think this also should work.
https://www.kingston.com/en/memory-cards/canvas-go-plus-sd-card
Offline

Logan Bartley

  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 pm

I have been using a Verbatim 64GB Premium card successfully for a while, but recently it started to drop a few frames on my old BMD Video Assist (non-4k). This is the card...
https://www.cdw.com/product/Verbatim-Pr ... XC/3974594

It didn't say on the Video Assist that it was dropping frames, but when I played back (a 40 minute video) by the end, the video was about 2 seconds behind the video (person heard talking then 2 seconds later their mouth moves). I was recording in regular ProRes on exFAT format.

I'm guessing these cards just start wearing out after a while?
Offline

Stephen Brenner

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:57 am
  • Location: Brownsville, OR

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:11 am

Has anyone tried the 170Mb/s Read:90 Mb/s Write Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Cards with the bmpcc for raw recording?
Offline
User avatar

dondidnod

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:52 am
  • Location: Castro Valley, CA
  • Real Name: Donald Keller

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostTue May 19, 2020 9:50 pm

I tried a SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO SDXC Memory Card, UHS-I Class 10 U3 V30, Up to 170MB/s Read MFR: SDSDXXY-256G-ANCIN on my OG BMPCC.

It wouldn't recognize the card at all.

The card worked in Prores 10 bit 4K on a Panasonic GH5-S though.
Offline

spencerh

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:16 am
  • Real Name: Spencer Hetherington

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 pm

I picked up a Kingston Canvas Go Plus 256GB card.

I recorded RAW 3:1 60p on my BMMCC and it dropped frames on the first test after 3 minutes in. I tested it 2 more times after that and I had no dropped frames for the entirety of the 5-6 minute clips. Looks like this card is going to work for me.
Offline
User avatar

anton.abreu

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:41 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 2:13 am

I picked the Kingston Canvas React - 128GB for 60.00 AUD .... can confirm that it can record for way over 10 minutes on RAW on the OG BMPCC.

No dropped frames during the tests.
Offline

Leon Chen

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 12:54 pm

anton.abreu wrote:I picked the Kingston Canvas React - 128GB for 60.00 AUD .... can confirm that it can record for way over 10 minutes on RAW on the OG BMPCC.

No dropped frames during the tests.


May I ask what RAW specification you were using? RAW @ 30fps, or RAW 3:1 @ 30fps or RAW 3:1 @ 60fps? (there is no 60fps for RAW).

Today I bought Kingston Canvas Go! Plus 256GB. I did not do a full test, but first of all my BMMCC works with this SD card, and the Prores HQ at 60fps seems good. The RAW 3:1 at 60 fps works at first a few minutes, but then dropped frames. The writing speed of this card on my mac shows around 80MB/s. So I guess the fragments from RAW recording just overwhelms the card, even it seems fast enough.
Offline
User avatar

anton.abreu

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:41 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 2:48 am

Leon Chen wrote:May I ask what RAW specification you were using? RAW @ 30fps, or RAW 3:1 @ 30fps or RAW 3:1 @ 60fps? (there is no 60fps for RAW).
RAW @ 24fps
Offline

Leon Chen

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 7:08 pm

anton.abreu wrote:
Leon Chen wrote:May I ask what RAW specification you were using? RAW @ 30fps, or RAW 3:1 @ 30fps or RAW 3:1 @ 60fps? (there is no 60fps for RAW).
RAW @ 24fps


Thanks man. I will try as well. Glad it works for RAW.
Offline

Rampo23

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:37 pm
  • Real Name: Ano Filipa

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 11:41 am

Username wrote:I wanted to report that I tried the other high performance card from Integral and I was able to record every option available. :)
I formatted the card as HFS+ in my BMMCC and set the codec/fps and recorded.
Filled the card without dropped frame.
Reformatted it again, changed the codec/fps and ran again.
Ones for each bitrate/framerate below. Not a single dropped frame.

30fps cDNG RAW
60fps ProRes 422HQ
60fps 3:1 cDNG RAW

Integral Ultima Pro 256GB.
Part Code: INSDX256G-100/90V30
EAN: 5055288441309
Price for the 256GB card at Amazon.co.uk is today listed at: £22.39
hps:///512Gb-Ultra-HD-Premium-Memory-Integral/dp/B07FBB8K9N


The 256 GB card have the higher specifications:
Ultra-fast read / write, with up to 100 MB/s* read and 90 MB/s* write (256GB)

The 128 and 512GB are little lower speced at 100/80. I have NOT tried the 512GB card!


[img]hts:na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81rYr9MQtXL._SY879_.jpg[/img]


Just recieved mine. It was from your link. I see now that the write speed was lower. When I put in in my bmpcc I get no card. Am I screwed?
Previous

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Csaba Nagy, jerrygladh, Juan Melara and 20 guests