Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Username

Re: Warning about new Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s media

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 pm

I wanted to report that I tried the other high performance card from Integral and I was able to record every option available. :)
I formatted the card as HFS+ in my BMMCC and set the codec/fps and recorded.
Filled the card without dropped frame.
Reformatted it again, changed the codec/fps and ran again.
Ones for each bitrate/framerate below. Not a single dropped frame.

30fps cDNG RAW
60fps ProRes 422HQ
60fps 3:1 cDNG RAW

Integral Ultima Pro 256GB.
Part Code: INSDX256G-100/90V30
EAN: 5055288441309
Price for the 256GB card at Amazon.co.uk is today listed at: £22.39
https://www.amazon.co.uk/512Gb-Ultra-HD ... B07FBB8K9N

The 256 GB card have the higher specifications:
Ultra-fast read / write, with up to 100 MB/s* read and 90 MB/s* write (256GB)

The 128 and 512GB are little lower speced at 100/80. I have NOT tried the 512GB card!

Last edited by Username on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Moooser

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Another positive vote for the Integral Ultima Pro 256GB - I purchased one for my BMPCC and have recorded RAW 25fps with no problems.

The price is a big win - can afford to stock up on three or four of these without breaking the bank!

John Sklba

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:31 am

Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?

cristianpedrera

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:07 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?
I have the same experience with 2 CanvasReact 128GB cards. I have returned them and today I should get an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card that they also recommend here.
I wish it really works ... As soon as I arrive I will do the tests.

I wrote to Blackmagic and they responded with the link to the forum. I hope to find answers here!

Cheers

Frank Engel

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bought the Kingston Canvas React 256GB SDXC Class 10 SD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed SD Card (SDR/256GB) based on the recommendations here. I'm getting dropped frames in pro res 422 at 1080 24fps at around the 10 minute mark. Anyone having a similar experience?

There seem to be variations among the cameras; I have only tried the 128GB version of the Canvas React so far, and have had no issues with that one whatsoever; some have reported success with the 256GB card also, while you are not the first to report having issues with the 256GB card. There may be some manufacturing variations among the cards also - hard to be sure.

Username

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

JustinBacle

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 pm

I got the integra 128 Gb and it seems to work perfectly (tested quickly in Raw 25fps). I ordered 2 new ones since the first one seem to work !

John Sklba

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Frank Engel wrote:

There seem to be variations among the cameras; I have only tried the 128GB version of the Canvas React so far, and have had no issues with that one whatsoever; some have reported success with the 256GB card also, while you are not the first to report having issues with the 256GB card. There may be some manufacturing variations among the cards also - hard to be sure.

It's weird. I came home to test the card, and it seemed to perform fine that time. Maybe just gotta keep in mind that 10 minute limit. Sigh. Why did my Sandisk have to break....

John Sklba

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.

Are you referring to the kingsport cards? I checked and mines in Exfat.

Username

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 pm

John Sklba wrote:
Username wrote:Through out my testing I often noticed that formatting the card in camera with HFS+ file system worked better performance wise.

Yes.
Give it a try.
I understand it might be less than optimal if you work on windows in post but do give it a try.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

John Sklba

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 am

Username wrote:
John Sklba wrote:

Yes.
Give it a try.
I understand it might be less than optimal if you work on windows in post but do give it a try.

Yeah, I'm trying to dump the card and it's not letting me access it. Any ideas for getting around this?

Frank Engel

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 2:40 pm

John Sklba wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to dump the card and it's not letting me access it. Any ideas for getting around this?

If you are on Windows and formatted the card with HFS+ you will need a 3rd-party solution for accessing native Mac filesystems under Windows.

There are some examples listed here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-re ... e-windows/

Note that I have no experience with any of those. When I want to access a Mac filesystem, I just use a Mac.

cristianpedrera

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:13 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:
I have the same experience with 2 CanvasReact 128GB cards. I have returned them and today I should get an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card that they also recommend here.
I wish it really works ... As soon as I arrive I will do the tests.

I wrote to Blackmagic and they responded with the link to the forum. I hope to find answers here!

Cheers
I just tried an Integral Ultima Pro 256GB card in the BMPCC, in the BMMCC and in the Video Assist 5 "
The tests performed consist of placing the camera in front of the television (a lot of visual movement) and recording RAW at 30fps and 25fps

The results:

BMPCC:
-RAW 30fps (40 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, drop frames appear quickly)
-RAW 25fps (5 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, the dropped frames appear quickly)
I don't understand these results, 25fps are supposed to be less stressful ...

BMMCC:
-RAW 30fps (3 minutes of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several minutes but they appear dropped frames sooner or later)
-RAW 25fps (10 seconds of RAW, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds and rarely of 1 or 2 minutes but they appear dropped frames sooner or later)
-RAW 3: 1 60fps (28 seconds of RAW 3: 1, from here start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several seconds, drop frames appear quickly)
-RAW 3: 1 50fps (32 minutes of RAW 3: 1, from here they start dropped frames. If I record again I can only make clips of several minutes, the dropped frames appear soon)

Video Assist 5 ":
-ProRes HQ 1080p 60fps (72 minutes of ProRes HQ with no apparent problems and no signal of dropped frames. The strange thing is that a clip of 64 minutes and another of 8 minutes have been made. It seems that they are continuous and there is no dropped frame between two clips, so I don't understand why 2 clips have been made)

A couple of weeks ago my 6 Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 / MB 128GB cards (V30 model) have stopped working properly. But until then I could record the cards completely in RAW 30fps.
I do not understand what may be happening, is it possible that it is the fault of the cameras? I don't know, are the groove contacts dirty or somewhat similar?
I have talked to Sandisk and they tell me that they change my cards, but I'm afraid to continue having the same problem, I can't find cards compatible with the cameras, and I need them to work ... Blackmagic just tells me to use SDXXP model cards (like You know it is not easy to get them and they are no longer manufactured) or that I look in this forum, but from what I see in this forum there are some cards that for some work correctly and for others not.

Frank Engel

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 6:45 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:I don't understand these results, 25fps are supposed to be less stressful ...

I have seen this with several cards from different brands. One time it will go X minutes before dropping frames, then next time Y minutes, and it seems to be effectively random with no obvious rhyme or reason to it. Frame rate doesn't seem to have anything to do with this.

Username

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 pm

That is really strange.

Download the CPDT
https://github.com/maxim-saplin/CrossPl ... t/releases

And run d a few tests and see if write speed for the card is stable or if something have happen to it and write speed drops in a certain interval or just fluctuate a lot.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Robert Niessner

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 12:34 pm

cristianpedrera wrote:I have talked to Sandisk and they tell me that they change my cards, but I'm afraid to continue having the same problem, I can't find cards compatible with the cameras, and I need them to work ... Blackmagic just tells me to use SDXXP model cards (like You know it is not easy to get them and they are no longer manufactured) or that I look in this forum, but from what I see in this forum there are some cards that for some work correctly and for others not.

There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

So here again a perfectly working solution but for a higher price:
viewtopic.php?p=534750#p534750
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Username

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

It's great that Angelbird seeped up and offers a patched card that works for us.
But priced at 900% of the Integral cards - it might be hard to swallow for some of us.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Frank Engel

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:50 pm

This is a good point too. I have only used HFS+ formatted cards; not sure how much of a difference that actually makes in practice but I wonder if some of the differing results could actually tie back to that?

Robert Niessner

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Username wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

It's great that Angelbird seeped up and offers a patched card that works for us.
But priced at 900% of the Integral cards - it might be hard to swallow for some of us.

Well, ask yourself why that Integral is sold at that low price...
Their v60 and v90 are more in the price range of the Angelbird cards.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Username

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 3:23 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Username wrote:

Well, ask yourself why that Integral is sold at that low price...
Their v60 and v90 are more in the price range of the Angelbird cards.

Do higher price really equals higher quality?
As we are searching for cards that works in the Pocket and Cinema, paying extra for unneeded (V60/V90) performance appears not be necessary when choosing Integral cards.

Integral stand by these cards and offers a 5 year warranty - while Angelbird only do 1 or 2 years. 3 years if you register the cards within 30 days.
Grew up with a Nikon FM
MBP M1 16GB/1TB

Robert Niessner

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:28 pm

Username wrote:Do higher price really equals higher quality?
As we are searching for cards that works in the Pocket and Cinema, paying extra for unneeded (V60/V90) performance appears not be necessary when choosing Integral cards.

Integral stand by these cards and offers a 5 year warranty - while Angelbird only do 1 or 2 years. 3 years if you register the cards within 30 days.

Look, we can discuss this around in circles and getting nowhere. Fact is I used some direct contacts I have to Angelbird, told them about the problem BMPCC users are facing, they put in some engineering work and made it happen so you can buy a compatible SD card for your old camera. You can honor that and buy the card from them which is guaranteed to work - or you can keep buying Integral cards which may or may not work. It is up to you. I am not affected anyway as I don't use that camera.
But I understand that for some users money is tight and they have to find cheaper alternatives. No hard feelings about that.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

YOLKLAB

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:08 pm

I agree with Robert, the angelbird cards (ordered directly from them) work flawlessly and the peace of mind alone is worth the price.

gfagien

PostSun Dec 29, 2019 12:25 am

Ive been using the integral 256 card, but after 6 minutes of raw recording it starts to skip frames for me
Geoff Fagien
Cinematographer/Editor

John Sklba

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 am

Bit the bullet and bought a San Disk 512 today. Here's hoping it's legit.

Had my Kingston give me crap today while doing 4k in my Panasonic G7. So much for that card being being useful.

Frank Engel

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 pm

John Sklba wrote:Bit the bullet and bought a San Disk 512 today. Here's hoping it's legit.

Had my Kingston give me crap today while doing 4k in my Panasonic G7. So much for that card being being useful.

The G7 supports UHS II cards. I wouldn't bother with the UHS I cards for that camera if you are shooting video, particularly at 4K.

Gabor Tomor

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 am

Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly.

After I've got my replacement from Angelbird (first card got dropped frames with cDNG 3:1 60P) I still started to get the same results. Dropped frames with 60p. So I let it go... I do not want to send cards back and forth and maybe (but MAYBE) got a card which is somehow will work.

I do not record much 60p anyway. So no, Angelbird is also not an ultimate solution.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Gabor Tomor wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly.

After I've got my replacement from Angelbird (first card got dropped frames with cDNG 3:1 60P) I still started to get the same results. Dropped frames with 60p. So I let it go... I do not want to send cards back and forth and maybe (but MAYBE) got a card which is somehow will work.

I do not record much 60p anyway. So no, Angelbird is also not an ultimate solution.

Sorry, but the Pocket Cinema Camera never was able to record in more than 30p. And the fix Angelbird issued was for the Pocket Cinema Camera and the Videoassist.
No one claimed that CDNG 3:1 60p will work
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Gabor Tomor

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Sorry, but the Pocket Cinema Camera never was able to record in more than 30p.

No one claimed that CDNG 3:1 60p will work

Sorry but I referred to BMMCC. As before. And to quote Angelbird's support:
angelbird.jpg
angelbird.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 240842 times

But as I also said: it does not matter. Let it go. Just information for everybody who is thinking in the same.

Malksharan

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 11:19 am

Do we have newson this subject ? I tried the integral 256. Drop frames after 3minutes in 60p CDNG 3:1
I will buy another one and check. I need at least two of them. So i will see if it is different.

Gabor Tomor

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Malksharan wrote:Do we have newson this subject ? I tried the integral 256. Drop frames after 3minutes in 60p CDNG 3:1

Integral cards don't work. I tested the 128Gb Gold version, I have got drop frames less than 1minute.

However, maybe finally I found a working one!
I have just got a new Kingston Canvas Select PLUS (important, not the default Canvas Select) and for the very first test I was able to record 8Gb (2+ minutes) 3:1 cDNG without dropping frames.
(edit: of course I referred to 60p cDNG 3:1)

This is the card:
https://www.kingston.com/us/memory-cards/canvas-select-plus-sd-card

You will need a minimum of 128Gb. I will make other tests but for first this sounds promising!

Engineer

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 2:44 am

Hi,
I also test these cards and they work well
I tested Canvas select plus 128GB and 256GB on BMPCC and BMMCC. No problems up to 50FPS RAW3: 1 - whole card 256GB without lost frame :D
I also tested the Canvas React 256GB. Works on BMPCC only up to 25p.

soylentjames

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:12 am

Gabor Tomor wrote:
Integral cards don't work. I tested the 128Gb Gold version, I have got drop frames less than 1minute.

However, maybe finally I found a working one!
I have just got a new Kingston Canvas Select PLUS (important, not the default Canvas Select) and for the very first test I was able to record 8Gb (2+ minutes) 3:1 cDNG without dropping frames.
(edit: of course I referred to 60p cDNG 3:1)

You will need a minimum of 128Gb. I will make other tests but for first this sounds promising!

Hi Gabor - I just wanted to confirm that these still/ do work for the original BMPCC. I'm also finding two different variants of the Canvas Select Plus MPN #:

1. (SDS2/256GBCR)

2. (SDS2/256GBET)

Did you use either of these during your tests? Just trying to figure out which to purchase! Thank you in advance, you're a lifesaver!

Gabor Tomor

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:14 pm

soylentjames wrote:I'm also finding two different variants of the Canvas Select Plus MPN #:

1. (SDS2/256GBCR)

2. (SDS2/256GBET)

Did you use either of these during your tests? Just trying to figure out which to purchase! Thank you in advance, you're a lifesaver!

Hi James,

I'm sorry, I do not know exactly which one I got and what is the difference... On the card I do not see these keywords, and I also tried to check Kingston's website without success.

You can also check Kingston's latest UHS-I card which is the Canvas Go! Plus card. According to their spec sheet it is even faster than the Canvas Select Plus. I think this also should work.
https://www.kingston.com/en/memory-cards/canvas-go-plus-sd-card

Logan Bartley

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 pm

I have been using a Verbatim 64GB Premium card successfully for a while, but recently it started to drop a few frames on my old BMD Video Assist (non-4k). This is the card...
https://www.cdw.com/product/Verbatim-Pr ... XC/3974594

It didn't say on the Video Assist that it was dropping frames, but when I played back (a 40 minute video) by the end, the video was about 2 seconds behind the video (person heard talking then 2 seconds later their mouth moves). I was recording in regular ProRes on exFAT format.

I'm guessing these cards just start wearing out after a while?

Stephen Brenner

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:11 am

Has anyone tried the 170Mb/s Read:90 Mb/s Write Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Cards with the bmpcc for raw recording?

dondidnod

PostTue May 19, 2020 9:50 pm

I tried a SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO SDXC Memory Card, UHS-I Class 10 U3 V30, Up to 170MB/s Read MFR: SDSDXXY-256G-ANCIN on my OG BMPCC.

It wouldn't recognize the card at all.

The card worked in Prores 10 bit 4K on a Panasonic GH5-S though.

spencerh

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 8:55 pm

I picked up a Kingston Canvas Go Plus 256GB card.

I recorded RAW 3:1 60p on my BMMCC and it dropped frames on the first test after 3 minutes in. I tested it 2 more times after that and I had no dropped frames for the entirety of the 5-6 minute clips. Looks like this card is going to work for me.

anton.abreu

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 2:13 am

I picked the Kingston Canvas React - 128GB for 60.00 AUD .... can confirm that it can record for way over 10 minutes on RAW on the OG BMPCC.

No dropped frames during the tests.

Leon Chen

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 12:54 pm

anton.abreu wrote:I picked the Kingston Canvas React - 128GB for 60.00 AUD .... can confirm that it can record for way over 10 minutes on RAW on the OG BMPCC.

No dropped frames during the tests.

May I ask what RAW specification you were using? RAW @ 30fps, or RAW 3:1 @ 30fps or RAW 3:1 @ 60fps? (there is no 60fps for RAW).

Today I bought Kingston Canvas Go! Plus 256GB. I did not do a full test, but first of all my BMMCC works with this SD card, and the Prores HQ at 60fps seems good. The RAW 3:1 at 60 fps works at first a few minutes, but then dropped frames. The writing speed of this card on my mac shows around 80MB/s. So I guess the fragments from RAW recording just overwhelms the card, even it seems fast enough.

anton.abreu

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 2:48 am

Leon Chen wrote:May I ask what RAW specification you were using? RAW @ 30fps, or RAW 3:1 @ 30fps or RAW 3:1 @ 60fps? (there is no 60fps for RAW).
RAW @ 24fps

Leon Chen

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 7:08 pm

anton.abreu wrote:
Leon Chen wrote:May I ask what RAW specification you were using? RAW @ 30fps, or RAW 3:1 @ 30fps or RAW 3:1 @ 60fps? (there is no 60fps for RAW).
RAW @ 24fps

Thanks man. I will try as well. Glad it works for RAW.

Rampo23

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 11:41 am

Username wrote:I wanted to report that I tried the other high performance card from Integral and I was able to record every option available. :)
I formatted the card as HFS+ in my BMMCC and set the codec/fps and recorded.
Filled the card without dropped frame.
Reformatted it again, changed the codec/fps and ran again.
Ones for each bitrate/framerate below. Not a single dropped frame.

30fps cDNG RAW
60fps ProRes 422HQ
60fps 3:1 cDNG RAW

Integral Ultima Pro 256GB.
Part Code: INSDX256G-100/90V30
EAN: 5055288441309
Price for the 256GB card at Amazon.co.uk is today listed at: £22.39
hps:///512Gb-Ultra-HD-Premium-Memory-Integral/dp/B07FBB8K9N

The 256 GB card have the higher specifications:
Ultra-fast read / write, with up to 100 MB/s* read and 90 MB/s* write (256GB)

The 128 and 512GB are little lower speced at 100/80. I have NOT tried the 512GB card!

[img]hts:na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81rYr9MQtXL._SY879_.jpg[/img]

Just recieved mine. It was from your link. I see now that the write speed was lower. When I put in in my bmpcc I get no card. Am I screwed?

Akstezi

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 am

This in unfortunate, I order quite a few sandisk cards in the last month from BHPhoto , now I will need to check them.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 8:22 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
cristianpedrera wrote:There are cards from Angelbird which will work flawlessly. I know that for sure because I have contacted Angelbird on behalf of this problem and their engineers had a look at the issue and made some of their cards compatible again to the BMPCC and Videoassist. People seem to ignore what I wrote or chicken out on the higher price and try all those low cost options - with the results you have found yourself.

Robert, if you have friends at Angelbird could you check and see if they are ever planning to have these compatible cards back in stock? Both the 64 and 128 gig cards have been listed as out of stock and not available for several months now; I was planning to buy a couple but no luck.

The Kingston card worked initially but didn't last long; my card died earlier this year after a year or so of use, which was pretty disappointing; I figured it would be worth spending more on a good card that has been tested but the Angelbird ones don't seem to be available anymore. It would be good to know if that's just a temporary supply issue or whether they'll never be available again.

Thanks!
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

BrettHazlett

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:The Kingston card worked initially but didn't last long; my card died earlier this year after a year or so of use, which was pretty disappointing; I figured it would be worth spending more on a good card that has been tested but the Angelbird ones don't seem to be available anymore. It would be good to know if that's just a temporary supply issue or whether they'll never be available again.

Angelbird tested and confirmed recently that their microSD V60, SD V60, and SD V90 cards are compatible with the BMPCC2K, BMMCC, and Video Assist 5" for all codecs except RAW 3:1 59.94 and 60fps. RAW 3:1 50fps, ProRes 60fps, and RAW 30fps are all ok.

All cards are in stock. I noticed the $/GB of the microSD V60 cards is similar to what we paid for the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards originally recommended by Blackmagic. The included microSD to SD adapters are stiff enough that they handle similar to the SD cards.
Regards,

Brett Hazlett
www.flyingthevoid.blogspot.com

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 2:44 pm

BrettHazlett wrote:Angelbird tested and confirmed recently that their microSD V60, SD V60, and SD V90 cards are compatible with the BMPCC2K, BMMCC, and Video Assist 5" for all codecs except RAW 3:1 59.94 and 60fps. RAW 3:1 50fps, ProRes 60fps, and RAW 30fps are all ok.

All cards are in stock.

Thanks, Brett! I actually got in touch with Angelbird about their OG BMPCC match pack, which is listed as "unavailable" on their website, and they said that they have only limited supplies and are fulfilling orders to people who specifically request them. I ordered a pair of 128 gigabyte cards. Great to know that these will work in my BMMCCs as well, at least up to 30fps in CDNG raw; I almost never shoot 60fps and ProRes will be fine for the few cases where I need to.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Bergante

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 5:59 pm

I just purchased an Angelbird card on Amazon Spain.

It’s a V60 128 GB card, SKU 128SDMK2V60. So far so good even on raw.

I also tried a SanDisk, 128GB, ultra (120 MB/s) which works with ProRes HQ but not raw.

Schirayyy

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Hy. I have the old video assist with mini usb, and I am happy to report that the Samsung PRO plus 128gb card with prores hq 1080p 59.94fps I record youtube clips on my screen, and I am filling the card without dropped frames.

To make it a bit more clear:

-Samsung pro plus 128gb formatted with BMVA
-1080p 59.94fps
-prores HQ
-Blacmagic VA /mini-usb/
-card filled up without dropped frames.

The camera being used is a panasonic gh4 422 allI 1080p60fps, with hdmi output.
Attachments
2021-02-26_14h57_34.png
2021-02-26_14h57_34.png (215.5 KiB) Viewed 226367 times

blaufish

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:06 pm

BMPCC Original with Samsung Pro Plus 256GB 100/90 MB/s UHS-I cards tested.

Conclusions:
  • No raw. Cameras stop immediately upon raw recording, appears it does not even attempt it.
  • ProRes works perfectly, tested up to ProResHQ 30FPS.
  • No frame drop indicators after long recording.

Two oddities noted;
  • One camera needed reboot (power on/off) to accept card for writing. Would not try to start ProRes recording.
  • Problem upon formatting in camera: I was trying to format card in camera as HFS+ to see if that would enable RAW. Camera formatted successfully but format rendered the card temporarily inaccessible / unsuable. Camera could not use card formatted by camera?!? Card could not try re-formating the card, so it could not fix the problem it had created... After reformating as exFAT in a windows computer the card was back in business again. I guess I will avoid formatting card in camera.

Unfortunately the formatting problem I wasn't recoding video of this issue.

Testing uploaded to youtube at watch?v=8oHwNx9B3hU (I cannot post URLs...) if someone wants to watch my testing :-)

radar24

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 11:28 am

so is Angelbird's AV PRO SD MK2 V60 which they sell on their website fully working on bmpcc original recording raw cinemaDNG? Will this be my ultimate safe bet on SD card searching for my bmpcc original?
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography