Bluetooth Monitor and Control

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Hugh Antonio

Bluetooth Monitor and Control

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 3:48 pm

There’s a few apps out there that make you control the Ursa Mini Pro and the BMPCC4K. Could it be possible to actually have an app that one could live monitor and focus with native lenses. I have a canon camera which does pretty much every via WiFi. It would be such a game changer if we could do this especially when using a Gimbal as focus control could be done by a focus puller. I’m sure the tech heads at BM are working on it and this will be the next big release, so I’m not relying on anyone from BM to respond as ya’ll very secretive about up and coming updates. But personally I would think this could be the biggest thing yet BM could do.......thoughts?
MacBook M1 Pro
10 Cores 16GB RAM
512gb HDD
Resolve Studio
BMPCC 4K

Craig Sawyer

Re: Bluetooth Monitor and Control

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm

You can change focus with the current apps (well at least with trhe iOS app i use) but it would be no good for critical focus pulling. Streaming video over Bluetooth wouldn’t work - the protocol isn’t really designed for steaming video, very small bandwidth - and the cameras do not have WiFi. The Bluetooth remotes are great for being able to set up and manage your camera without having to to touch it (if it’s out of reach, or is being configured but another crew member) but for remote monitoring and critical focus pulling i’d stick to Teradeks and dedicated wireless focus pulling systems :)
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

mwalker1000

Re: Bluetooth Monitor and Control

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 4:40 am

Someone just created a really good WIP Android app for camera control that does focus pulling and rack focusing. No video, but he might be interested in the idea.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... icwireless

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83911

The problem with focus pulling and wifi is the lag, especially tracking a moving object. I don't want to spend more than the price of the camera for a remote video solution, so I rolled my own with a Nyrius Aries Pro and a Lilliput 7" monitor. Zero latency, uncompressed 1080/60p, 100' range. Solved. Its not a battle hardened solution that will survive the rigors of every day use on set, but for what I need it for, at less than $500, its perfect.

Now if Tilta will start shipping their Nano like they promised 3 months ago, I'd be up and running!

-M

Return to Cinematography