Fotodiox Pro Fusion Smart AF lens adapter

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Fotodiox Pro Fusion Smart AF lens adapter

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Happy New Year everyone.

Just an FYI: January 1 & 2, 2019 only Fotodiox is offering a site-wide 19% discount on all their products, including their "Fusion Adapter Smart AF" EF-to-MFT lens adapter:
https://fotodioxpro.com/products/eos-mft-fusion

To receive the discount, use code "HAPPY2019" on their checkout page.

The above adapter doesn't contain a focal reducing lens element itself, so my lenses' AOV will be cropped, as expected. Fotodiox also sells a more expensive focal reduction adapter called "Fusion Redux Adapter Smart AF":
https://fotodioxpro.com/products/eos-mft-fusion-redux

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Fotodiox in any way, other than being a paying customer. I ordered this adapter today for use with the Pocket 4K camera I have on pre-order elsewhere. With the discount, the adapter's price was $121.46 including free shipping in the US.

Assuming the lens adapter arrives before my camera (likely!), I'll test the adapter with a friend's Pocket 4K. If it doesn't work, Fotodiox USA has a 14-day full refund policy. See their website for details.

-

Denny Smith

Re: Fotodiox Pro Fusion Smart AF lens adapter

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Happy New Year Peter, when you get your new Pocket 4K, would be interesting to hear your views on the camera, from a long standing BM Camera user like yourself.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Fotodiox Pro Fusion Smart AF lens adapter EF-to-MFT

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 8:49 am

Adorama tells me my Pocket 4K cam will be delivered next week. I placed my order 12/29/18, so a surprisingly short wait!

Earlier today I was able to very briefly test the Fotodiox Pro Fusion Smart AF EF-to-MFT adapter I received a few days ago on my friend's Pocket 4K cam.

The adapter appears to be very well constructed, with a mostly all-metal design. The adapter fits snugly (but not too snugly) on the camera, and my Canon & Sigma EF mount lenses all fit snugly (but not too snugly) on the adapter. That's the good news.

The not so good news -- but as expected (noted on Fotodiox's product web page) -- the adapter's current v.3.2 firmware does not support AF on any of my specific lenses, and manual focus only worked on the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 zoom lens. Worse, I was not able to adjust the lens aperture on any of my lenses, not via the camera's buttons/settings nor using the small iris button on the adapter itself. And of course, it's unknowable if these issues will be addressed in future firmware updates for the adapter from Fotodiox.

The lenses I tested: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, Canon EFS 24mm f2.8 STM, and Canon EFS 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM.

It was worth a try, but I'll return the adapter for a refund. And, instead of buying a (more expensive) Metabones EF-to-MFT adapter, I may sell all my EF/EFS lenses (and my Canon DSLR) and buy one or two native MFT lenses to replace them. I have a few days to make up my mind.

P.S.: The adapter appears to be the Viltrox adapter, being sold under the Fotodiox brand name. When you connect the adapter to a computer via USB to update the firmware, the adapter's disk volume is named "Viltrox".
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earl Green

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Were you able to fit the EFS lens to the adapter without modifying them?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Earl Green wrote:Were you able to fit the EFS lens to the adapter without modifying them?

Yes, my EFS & EF lenses fit the adapter physically perfectly. Unfortunately, the adapter does not support my specific lenses electronically -- at least not using the adapter's current v3.2 firmware from Fotodiox.

Refer to the lens compatibility list at the bottom of the Fotodiox website:
https://fotodiox.freshdesk.com/support/ ... 7000081761

-

Earl Green

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 pm

That's interesting as I have the Viltrox adapter and those exact Canon lenses yet because of the protrusion on the back of the lenses they will not fit the adapter (physically). I can easily remove the back of the 24mm and then it fits (physically) but as you stated it can not be controlled. I have not tried this with the zoom as it would be more involved and I do not expect it to work.

BTW, my 40mm pancake and nifty 50mm both work although the aperture "number" is not correct. The relative opening can be adjusted with the iris setting.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Interesting. So apparently I'm incorrect in saying the Fotodiox & Viltrox adapters are the same. Possibly different models from a common Chinese manufacturer, using similar firmware?

-

Earl Green

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Sorry. My error. I only read the post from today and did not go back to the initial post.
I now see your adapter does not contain the focal reducer. Mine does and that is what causes the mounting issue.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Earl Green wrote:Were you able to fit the EFS lens to the adapter without modifying them?

Yes, my EFS & EF lenses fit the adapter physically perfectly. Unfortunately, the adapter does not support my specific lenses electronically -- at least not using the adapter's current v3.2 firmware from Fotodiox.

Refer to the lens compatibility list at the bottom of the Fotodiox website:
https://fotodiox.freshdesk.com/support/ ... 7000081761

Correction:

My post above is incorrect. Probably because I was in a rush, when I tested my Canon lenses on my friend's Pocket 4K with the Fotodiox Fusion Smart AF adapter, I wasn't able to get the cam to control the lenses' iris function. But a few days later when my Pocket 4K was delivered, I tested my lenses with the adapter again, and I was able to control all the lenses' iris using the cam's scroll wheel (on the front of the cam). Apologies for the confusion.

Note however, although setting the lenses' iris from the cam worked (using the cam wheel), autofocus did not work. I wasn't able to find any combination of cam settings to enable AF with my lenses.

Again, the lenses I tested: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, Canon EFS 24mm f2.8 STM, and Canon EFS 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM.

Meanwhile, I've returned the adapter to Fotodiox for a refund, and sold my Canon lenses. My two new Olympus & Lumix lenses cover a wider range of focal lengths (wide, medium & telephoto), and are sharper, smaller and lighter.

UESOPRODUCTORA

PostThu May 30, 2019 3:56 pm

HI, this is my first post on this forum. I received my black magic pocket 4k a week ago. Ive been using my sony as7II with a 50mm sony lens, a canon 35mm 1.4 with the adapter for the sony, and a 20mm 1.8 sigma with the adapter for the sony too.
On the rush i bought an adapter without the golden connections so imagine my frustation when i realized I couldnt use my Canon EF lenses because I couldnt control the iris.
Today I received the Fotodiox Pro Fusion Smart AF lens adapter, with the unhappy situation that the iris shows when i turn on the camara but like 20 secs after that it dissapears.

Im now even more frustrated than last week, any suggestions or maybe im doing something wrong? this adapter has a IRIS TOGGLE that it doesnt shows any difference when i push it so Im not understanding how it works.

now i have 2 adapters that wont work.

Heryboy

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 6:08 am

Hi, check this firmware update for your adapter https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/c4f2 ... b320353df8
The BMPCC 4K need also 6.2 firmware.
Please comment your results.

Return to Cinematography