Blackmagic pocket (first) audio mod

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eugene Davydov

Blackmagic pocket (first) audio mod

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 1:19 pm

First version of BMPCC is still very usable, handy and compact cam, compared to its successor.
There's one disadvantage in it though. Starting from firmware version 1.8 the audio recorded with the internal mics is filtered at high frequencies, and sound sort of muffled. Is there any way to turn this filtering off? May be some hidden button combination like it is with the focus button which if you press twice focus peaking is set on? I know the audio from internal mics is far from perfect, but it was really better in firmware version 1.7.
There are a few definite ways - first one - Blackmagic Design could release a version with this filter turned off, it would be really appreciated by most users and second one is publish firmware sources that could be customized by some people with programming skills, so that the older BMPCC would start a new life. What's the reason? Since it is discontinued this might be a reason...
Sincerely, Eugene

lee4ever

Re: Blackmagic pocket (first) audio mod

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 am

Alos completely honestly, one reads again and again that a new firmware or free codes is desired and BM does not react. I find it really annoying that they don't react. The argument is: the camera is too old, buy another BM etc. That's not good.

lee4ever

Re: Blackmagic pocket (first) audio mod

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 4:52 pm

I didn't know that the Mic. modification was being introduced. I just tested the older firmware and the sound is really better. Why this modification, which makes it worse? Maybe not the microphone is bad, but the small hole at the case doesn't let much through?
I would like to keep the older firmware, but the stabilization doesn't work with my lenses. :(

Too bad that the people from BM, us BMPCC lovers, completely ignored.... That makes me think and I don't know if I will buy any BM camera in the future. Sorry, but that disappoints me a lot (I know, nobody forces me but I am certainly not the only one who thinks so).

Return to Cinematography