Aerial filming?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Carin

Aerial filming?

PostTue May 28, 2013 6:53 am

Has anybody done any aerial filming with either the 2.5k or the 4k ? Real helicopters only please, just wanted to know how the vibrations affect the footage and if there is any sample video's that would be great.

Darryl Gregory

Re: Aerial filming?

PostTue May 28, 2013 6:58 am

2.5K Yes, do your own research (hint search Vimeo and utube) there are a few really good videos, but not with real helicopters, just RC ones. You will need a Gyro for real ones, so get knowledgeable
before asking these questions again.

Anything @4K??... none, since the camera has not been sold or beta tested yet,
another reason you need to do your homework.

Update: there is 1 or...maybe 2 or..even 3 real helicopter shoots using the 2.5k, sorry I can't link the videos, but that shouldn't matter much since

Carin

PostTue May 28, 2013 7:21 am

I was hoping to find real helicopter footage or people who have shot from one, have seen the RC one's but cannot find real heli sample's - and yes, I own my own gyro stabilisation rig.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue May 28, 2013 7:31 am

Carin wrote:I was hoping to find real helicopter footage or people who have shot from one, have seen the RC one's but cannot find real heli sample's - and yes, I own my own gyro stabilisation rig.

Sorry if I was rude, but there are a few, maybe 4or5 real heli footage using the 2.5k
when I can gather the links, I will post them.

Carin

PostTue May 28, 2013 7:54 am

I'm more interested in people's first hand experience but the sample video's would be nice as I may be able to speak to the camo directly.

Christine Peterson

PostTue May 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi Carin,

This is the only footage I remember seeing on an actual helicopter:

This is RC helicopter footage, but I don't think that's what you're looking for:
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue May 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Carin wrote:Has anybody done any aerial filming with either the 2.5k or the 4k ? Real helicopters only please, just wanted to know how the vibrations affect the footage and if there is any sample video's that would be great.

When the BMPC-4K is available later this year (by late "July 2013" or thereabouts), it should be ideal for helicopter/high-vibration shooting because, unlike most CMOS sensor video cameras, its sensor uses a global shutter instead of a rolling shutter.

Global shutter means no rolling shutter "jello", "skew" (vertical lines in moving objects appear slanted), or "flash band" (partial frame exposure) artifacts, and if an aircraft's rotating prop is in a shot, it'll look the way it should, not bent/curved.

The BMPC-4K isn't close enough to shipping yet for there to be sample footage available for it. But the benefits of a global shutter are well known (most CCD cameras have a global shutter).

Other cameras may have their own advantages, such as slightly more dynamic range, or slightly more light sensitivity, or slightly less noise, and so forth. But all things being equal (which they usually never are), global shutter is very desirable for video which contains lots of motion.

However, if you need a camera right away, the BMPC-4K won't be readily available for months, especially if you haven't already placed a pre-order.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... ncamera4k/

-

Return to Cinematography