ProRes Workflow Issue??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Tyler

ProRes Workflow Issue??

PostWed May 29, 2013 4:57 am

I've been messing with this for hours now with no hope in sight. I shot some ProRes footage with the BMCC and have been trying to get it into CS6 on a Windows 7 PC, but I keep getting "unable to recognize" file errors.

I've removed and reinstalled Quicktime several times.

Tried to install ProRes Decoder several times, but always get "already installed error"

I can't even play the footage in Quicktime.

So does anyone have any ideas? I'm just missing the ProRes codec right? If I can't get a handle on this I'm gonna just start gluing glitter and construction paper to the camera, so at least it's the prettiest paperweight it can be...
Sean Tyler

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: ProRes Workflow Issue??

PostWed May 29, 2013 5:15 am

Hi Sean: Sorry to hear you're having a problem playing ProRes Quicktime files. Usually it's pretty straight-forward.

It's either some sort of software configuration/installation issue on your computer, or your BMCC ProRes QT files are somehow corrupt/damaged and thus unplayable.

If you have access to another computer (Windows or Mac) with Quicktime installed, try to play these same QT ProRes files on that machine. If the ProRes files play fine on the 2nd computer, then that's good news: Your video is OK. If they don't play, that's not good news. If possible try them on a 3rd computer. If still no joy, then it would appear your ProRes files are no good (damaged/corrupt). You'll have to troubleshoot further to determine why & how the files became corrupted.

Assuming your ProRes files play OK on other machines, then you'll need to troubleshoot the software config/install on your 1st machine. I can't offer much help with that other than to suggest contacting Adobe and asking them what they recommend as a configuration & installation to support ProRes Quicktime files using their software. Adobe tech support (and perhaps other users in Adobe's online support forums) would be the experts on that.

Let us know what you find out.

-

Margus Voll

PostWed May 29, 2013 5:44 am

windows used to have prorez codec installer for win and it did read all mov files with
prorez.

I'm not sure if it is available but try to google. It did read those files but did not write.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Sean Tyler

PostWed May 29, 2013 10:24 am

Hey Peter...

Thanks so much for the slap across the face... I'd don't know why I didn't just try new footage, stubborn I suppose. I shot a few seconds of new footage in Prores and it shows up just fine in Resolve, Quicktime, and CS6... of course now I'm freaking out wondering how the original clip was corrupted... and no it wouldn't play on another PC either.

Thanks for the help, now let's just hope corrupting future files isn't too easy.

Thanks again...
Sean Tyler

Steve Lee Jean

PostWed May 29, 2013 10:50 am

A fresh install of Quicktime Pro might help. If not transcode to another type?

Since I'm also a PC user, I'm glad the BMCC can shoot DNxHD.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed May 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Sean Tyler wrote:Hey Peter...

Thanks so much for the slap across the face... I'd don't know why I didn't just try new footage, stubborn I suppose. I shot a few seconds of new footage in Prores and it shows up just fine in Resolve, Quicktime, and CS6... of course now I'm freaking out wondering how the original clip was corrupted... and no it wouldn't play on another PC either.

Thanks for the help, now let's just hope corrupting future files isn't too easy.

Thanks again...

Good to hear you're now able to work with new ProRes files.

Your initial ProRes file might have been damaged by any number of causes, but one of the first things I'd troubleshoot is the drive dock/caddie (and its driver software) you used to transfer BMCC files from the SSD to your computer. I've seen a few reports (not many) of this being a potential cause of problems.

Cheers.

-

Return to Cinematography