Should the fan be on as soon as I power on?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Bartman

Should the fan be on as soon as I power on?

PostThu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

My fan starts as soon as I power on. Its not loud, and the camera isn´t warm, just a constant "whirrrr".

Normal?

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

Re: Should the fan be on as soon as I power on?

PostThu May 30, 2013 10:48 am

John Bartman wrote:My fan starts as soon as I power on. Its not loud, and the camera isn´t warm, just a constant "whirrrr".

Normal?

My experience with other fan cooled cameras is yes soem fan noise is normal, and in many like RED DMSCs (so Scarlet and Epic) the camera deliberately runs a faster fan when not recording to allow it to run slower and quietr while recording for longer. I would not be suprised if this was a common feature across manufacturers.

Tom

PostThu May 30, 2013 10:52 am

John Bartman wrote:My fan starts as soon as I power on. Its not loud, and the camera isn´t warm, just a constant "whirrrr".

Normal?

The BMCC fan is always on when the camera is on, regardless of temperature or what the camera is doing. The speed is supposed to stay at a constant rate at all times.

Be careful about impeding the air flow, you will hear the fan begin to struggle and the pitch change if you block the vents completely. It is for this reason that I always pack the camera away in such a position to prevent it turning on inside a bag or container.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

John Brawley

PostThu May 30, 2013 11:02 am

Normal?

Yes.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography