Cant update bmpcc 4k to firmware 6.2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Pocket 4K cannot update from 6.1 to 6.2

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:37 pm

MxMark wrote:
I use Windows 10 Home build: 17763.348
I used multiple cables cheap and expensive ones and nothing works.

I'm now on 5.2 (because I tied to fix the issue) and I
tried to install 6.0 again after it was finished updating
my camera nothing changed and it still was in update

That's because there's nothing new in 6.0 for Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Use the 6.1 or 6.2 updater.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cant update bmpcc 4k to firmware 6.2

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:39 pm

stanarthur wrote:Kristian Lam... I tried you're advice but got the same result as John Green. Powering on the BMPCC4K with the focus button depressed causes the 6.2 updater to not "see" the camera.

What version of Windows are you on?

MxMark

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm

That's because there's nothing new in 6.0 for Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Use the 6.1 or 6.2 updater.

The 6.1 and 6.2 don't work at all. It worked to go from
6.1 to 5.2 (downgrade). But I couldn't go back to 6.1 or
6.2. I assume if I can downgrade but not upgrade it's
not my Cable or pc but that it is the software.

Cooper

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:53 pm

Worked like last time, but now from 6.1 to 6.2. USB2.0 port from pins on motherboard, USB A to C cable (this time switch controller cable was closest). And it worked, last time used other 10G USB cables and then update also only worked on the USB 2.0 port, not on 3.1(gen 1 or 2) ports C or A. Windows 10 pro latest normal build updated... ...and back to 6.1 also works.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 am

MxMark wrote:

The 6.1 and 6.2 don't work at all. It worked to go from
6.1 to 5.2 (downgrade). But I couldn't go back to 6.1 or
6.2. I assume if I can downgrade but not upgrade it's
not my Cable or pc but that it is the software.

It is critical that you confirm that your computer has v6.2 installed the first time you connect the camera to your computer when you started the camera while holding the focus button.

If you have missed this step, you need to uninstall any camera utility in your computer, reinstall v6.2 again and try the steps I have prescribed.

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 am

Mine failed, but seemed to work anyways, because BRAW is in my camera. I used a MacBook Pro.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Pocket Cinema 4K update issues.

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 am

tbakersv wrote:Very strange. Never got 6.1 to work. The camera would lock up. Went back to 5.4. Today went to 6.2. The camera locks up in any pro res but works great with BM raw. Thoughts?

Sounds like you have a hardware issue and you should contact your local support office.

David White

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:57 am

I was successful after

uninstalling 6.2 updater
installing 5.2 updater
downgrading the Pocket4K to 5.2 (from 6.1)
uninstalling 5.2 updater
installing 6.2 updater
upgrading the Pocket4K to 6.2

I used a cable that had a USB C connector at one end and a USB A connector on the other end connected to a USB 2 port. My operating system is Win 8.1 64 bit. I forgot to power up with the focus button held, but I did complete disconnect my camera from power (AC and battery) between upgrades.

Thanks, Kristian.

David

vermot

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:18 am

Your steps didn't work for me neither Kristian.

When I turn it on while holding focus button, the software doesnt find my camera

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:23 am

vermot wrote:Your steps didn't work for me neither Kristian.

When I turn it on while holding focus button, the software doesnt find my camera

Did you connect the camera to your computer before or after turning it on?

vermot

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:30 am

It worked well to go back to 5.2 but now I'm stuck and can't update to 6.1 nor 6.2

Kristian Lam wrote:

Both, on 2 different computers

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am

vermot wrote:

It worked well to go back to 5.2 but now I'm stuck and can't update to 6.1 nor 6.2

Kristian Lam wrote:

Both, on 2 different computers

No. Do it only once correctly.

If start the camera up normally and connect the camera to your computer, the process is ruined.

You will need to uninstall the camera software, reboot, reinstall and try again, ensuring that the first time you connect the camera to your computer, the camera is started up with the focus button held down.

vermot

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 pm

If start the camera up normally and connect the camera to your computer, the process is ruined.

You will need to uninstall the camera software, reboot, reinstall and try again, ensuring that the first time you connect the camera to your computer, the camera is started up with the focus button held down.

I did everything as you exactly said. Camera still recognized by the software when turned on while holding focus button

MxMark

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm

I did that multiple times but the software doesn't see the camera. If its in the black screen mode the software doesn't recognize it.

It will see it when you boot it in normal mode but than you cant update ofc.

Tektechnician

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Yeah, also stuck on v5.2. I've tried everything from reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, Reinstalling BCS, Safe focus mode etc. Doesn't help that the camera only works in USB 2.0 mode and isn't recognized as a device at all when connected to a 3.0 port now. Is it normal for the camera to have two device ID's in Device Manager which both don't have drivers? Otherwise the camera shows up as a single unrecognized USB composite when plugged into a 3.0 port. Does the camera have any factory flashing method which we could do via CFast, SD or USB?

Torbjørn Anderson

updating Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 pm

I recieved my new camera 3 days ago and yesterday i started to update to version 6.2. At the last part of the procedure when i have pressed "update" The camera turns off. You can her the sound off and after a second the sound on, but the camera do not turns itself on. After a few minutes i got the message " updating the camera software failed. The camera does not react when I turn it on or off, but the little red lamp besides the on/off button stays on all the time. To start the camera again I have to take out the battery and put it in again. It seems that the autofocus don't work anymore. I have tried to update with tre different computers and one og them, a laptop, with a cable with USB-c in both ends. From the computers I always used USB 3.0. Please help!

vermot

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:36 pm

MxMark wrote:

I did that multiple times but the software doesn't see the camera. If its in the black screen mode the software doesn't recognize it.

It will see it when you boot it in normal mode but than you cant update ofc.

exactly

Mika Viitanen

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:06 pm

Same issue here. Went through the checklist as provided by staff, but have the same exact issue as the others. Using the focus button, the camera powers up into a black screen. The installer just says "no camera found" or close to it.

Windows 10, up-to-date, followed instructions on two different computers, no luck.

Mika Viitanen

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:28 pm

And to add to the others as well, updating to 6.1 now fails as well.

regreg62

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi,
I had the same problem when I tried to update the firmware. I solve it by changing the usb-c / usb cable.
I'm using a MacBook Pro 13 retina with osx Mojave. Before changing cable I tried to downgrade to 5.2 with a MacPro but it failed. The right cable has USB 3A, 5GBps and SS Usb specifications. I hope I helped someone.

Marcel Lavide

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 pm

I have the same problem on 3 different PCs. I tried everything as you told us, without success.

stanarthur

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
stanarthur wrote:Kristian Lam... I tried you're advice but got the same result as John Green. Powering on the BMPCC4K with the focus button depressed causes the 6.2 updater to not "see" the camera.

What version of Windows are you on?
Windows 10. I'm currently in the process of trying to install it from a Mac laptop. I don't understand the process obviously. I'm plugging my USB cable into the Mac laptop but nothing is happening. I can run the utility to update and it says the update is successful but the camera says it's still 5.2. This is very confusing to me. Not easy to understand. I wish I was an IT guy instead of a video guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Villane

Re: Pocket Cinema 4K not recognized in OS (win/mac) USB erro

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 4:45 pm

I have the same issue - neither USB 3.1, Type C, 3.0 work, but I don't think I have any USB 2.0 ports :(

After starting the update from the app, the camera seems to unplug and in a couple of minutes it says "Updating the Camera software failed". Then I have to remove the battery for a sec for the camera to be recognized again.

Luc Laflamme

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Seriously guys you have to be kidding me ... Why is it so complicated ? Instead of trying to follow a cooking recipe, can we wait another day or two so that you guys can fix this with a new firmware file ?
Cinematographer - Producer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU
64 Gig Ram DDR4
GeForce GTX 3080 12GB
ROG PG279Q
Focusrite Scarlett
Running on Windows 11

rick.lang

updating Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm

There are a few threads on this topic so have a look here.

Cant update bmpcc 4k to firmware 6.2
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

stanarthur

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 5:11 pm

With the help of an IT person here at the University, I made it work using a Mac laptop finally.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HRehburg

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi,

I have the exact same issues.
I followed Kristians advice step by step and now I'm stuck at 5.2 like some other folks here.
Tried different Systems already, both are Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates.

When I connected the Camera for the first time after the downgrade and after booting it to safe mode or whatever that is my PCs wont recognise the Camera. I can see it in the Device Manager of Windows as Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K, but it's listed as "drivers not installed/found" and the Camera Setup won't find the camera.

After it failed I tried to plug it in with the camera turned on regularly and it's recognised but the update still fails.

Ofc I used a USB 2.0 Port, a lot of different cables from cheap 2.0 with a Type C adapter to expensive Type C ones or even the Cable included with the Samsung T5 that worked for some ppl. here.

6 Months waiting for a failed Update isn't what I had in mind when ordering the Camera...

Pekka Hietanen

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Update failed here too. I managed to get to the final stage (11.) but when setup started it did not recognise the camera. The camera's screen was black but there was also no light on the power led. Camera was started with focus button hold down.

mandasol

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Had same issue PC would not recognize camera was connected. Tried every usb c cable I had and one finally worked (the cable that came with my Samsung Galaxy S9+). After updating to 6.2 the PC will recognize the camera is connected with all cables now.

jw3142

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Again same issue, followed step by step, from 5.2 and on win7, win10 (two machines) all failed

Jernej Rozenberger

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 8:13 pm

I am fine with waiting a while longer for BM to make a fix.
Did all of the above except the downgrade to 5.2 as I do not want to risk loosing my 6.1 firmware.

Its either the new camera setup program is bugged or all my USB cables are not working.
I do not own a mac and neither do any of my friends. I guess I'll be stuck without BRAW for a while.

AngelDark92

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 8:30 pm

I have the exact same issue, I have received the camera today and it's updated to 6.1. Tried on both my desktop and laptop pcs both with windows 10. I have also used 2 different usb-c to usb cables and both ports 2.0 and 3.0. The problem seems to be the camera disconnecting when the software starts the update.

It seems like the camera is being restarted in some sort of "download mode" in order to flash the update on the camera's rom but the issue is that the PCs and the update software don't recognise the camera after it restarts in download mode. This is a software or driver related issue, it might have nothing to do with the type of cable used and it shoudn't because not all people have a computer with usb-c connection...

PS. I have also tried to run as admin etc...

Peter Odio

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Updated firmware on my BMPCC4K to 6.2
No issues.

MacPro Late 2013
Mojave 10.14.3
promedios.tv

Swissified

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Peter Odio wrote:Updated firmware on my BMPCC4K to 6.2
No issues.

MacPro Late 2013
Mojave 10.14.3

Good to know as I have the same: MacPro Late 2013 running Mojave 10.14.3 but not yet the camera.

Emilian Dechev

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 pm

stanarthur wrote:With the help of an IT person here at the University, I made it work using a Mac laptop finally.

It seems, rather obviously, that we all need an IT person in our lives, if we want to update Blackmagic cameras :)

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 12:50 am

If you have followed the steps and get to the point where the camera is now running v5.2, and not being detected by the computer with the v6.2 software, could it be that the port being used is still USB 3.0 Type A. Some of the ports I've seen may not be blue to indicated USB 3.0 but are still connected to the USB 3.0 host controller.

Emilian Dechev

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 am

1. Uninstall all versions of Blackmagic Camera Updater on your Windows 10 machine.
2. Reboot
3. Download v5.2 from our support website.
4. Install and update your camera to v5.2
5. Uninstall v5.2
6. Download v6.2 from our website
7. Install v6.2 onto your computer
8. Ensure camera is not connected via USB.
9. Hold down focus button while powering on camera. It will start up with a black screen.
10. Connect camera to computer via USB. (You will need USB 2.0 - OK confirmed)
11. Run the Blackmagic Camera Setup again

aaaaand

12. Camera NOT recognized by setup.

So now I am stuck with a 5.2 camera with no means to get 6.2

Should I RMA now?

Tektechnician

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 2:17 am

Kristian Lam wrote:If you have followed the steps and get to the point where the camera is now running v5.2, and not being detected by the computer with the v6.2 software, could it be that the port being used is still USB 3.0 Type A. Some of the ports I've seen may not be blue to indicated USB 3.0 but are still connected to the USB 3.0 host controller.

Well on all of my Windows computers, none of them have native USB 2.0 ports anymore, they all connect directly to the PCH or some Mediatek controller as USB 3.0. I just resorted to using a VM to update the camera and that worked perfectly fine with the USB 3.0 ports. I've had success with Type C to USB 3.0 A, C to C, C to 2.0 A, so cable type was never the issue for me. The only solution is to wait for a fix or just get access to MacOS. Funny thing is I'm surprised the tally light flashes white at the 70% update mark, didn't know you guys put RGB on the camera. :D

AngelDark92

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 am

I am going to try with Mac tomorrow evening, will let you know how it goes. If it goes well my conclusion is that they didn't include the necessary drivers to detect the camera when it goes to "download mode". I have used every usb port I have (2.0 and 3.0).

If everything everyone said is correct and the camera should also be seen when booted while holding the focus button (download mode) that's basically what's happening. The software puts automatically the camera in download mode after the "update" button is pressed and the program then fails to recognise it, just as it fails to recognise it if you do it yourself. You can see it in a youtube video if you search for blackmagic 6.2 update fails (I can't post urls...).

Travis Ward

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 am

Emilian Dechev wrote:1. Uninstall all versions of Blackmagic Camera Updater on your Windows 10 machine.
2. Reboot
3. Download v5.2 from our support website.
4. Install and update your camera to v5.2
5. Uninstall v5.2
6. Download v6.2 from our website
7. Install v6.2 onto your computer
8. Ensure camera is not connected via USB.
9. Hold down focus button while powering on camera. It will start up with a black screen.
10. Connect camera to computer via USB. (You will need USB 2.0 - OK confirmed)
11. Run the Blackmagic Camera Setup again

aaaaand

12. Camera NOT recognized by setup.

So now I am stuck with a 5.2 camera with no means to get 6.2

Should I RMA now?

For me, it would not recognize the camera at all, unless I held down focus button. I tried this with 5.2, the camera was detected, install got to 70% and then failed. I then tried the same thing with 6.2 (open utility, connect camera w/USB, power on while holding Focus=camera detected, then install) and it worked perfectly.
Travis Ward

Luc Laflamme

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 3:24 am

Kristian Lam wrote:If you have followed the steps and get to the point where the camera is now running v5.2, and not being detected by the computer with the v6.2 software, could it be that the port being used is still USB 3.0 Type A. Some of the ports I've seen may not be blue to indicated USB 3.0 but are still connected to the USB 3.0 host controller.

What are you guys talking about ? Really ? We have to go back to 5.2 firmware , then plug to a non USB 3.0 Type A port ? Then we have to be careful because some of the ports might still be connected to the 3.0 host controller , even if they are not blue ?

Seriously guys, cmon! I really find all these shenanigans to be a complete waist of time. I know you are trying to help out here, but please, the only thing that will really help here is to go back to the lab and get a fix ready for us windows users as soon as you can.
Cinematographer - Producer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU
64 Gig Ram DDR4
GeForce GTX 3080 12GB
ROG PG279Q
Focusrite Scarlett
Running on Windows 11

Tektechnician

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 4:58 am

Australian Image wrote:
Luc Laflamme wrote:[...get a fix ready for us windows users as soon as you can.

Windows user here and worked fine as I described.

What Windows variant/version do you have on your Surface 3? I tested your steps on the same device and it doesn't work. I don't know why it's possible to go from 6.2 to 6.1 on Windows but not forwards. Either way I'm not super loving the 6.2 update, the "hold to focus" basically negates any of the focus speed improvements done in 6.1, which is more important for me than Braw. It almost feels just as constrictive as the original pocket focusing system. If there was a toggle to switch the focusing method from double tap to single tap or even just a reduction in the hold time would make it much better.

Tektechnician

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 6:12 am

Fair enough, I use a glidecam often so focusing quickly is pretty important for me since it's heavy & occupies both of my hands. I had a look through Windows Event Viewer and only founds events regarding DFUCameraPlugin.dll faulting with Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000000000001854e. Unfortunately not tech savvy enough to understand what it means.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 7:25 am

Anyone with problems updating on a Windows platform: which kind of Antivirus software do you have on your system? Some of the non Microsoft AV do dig really deep into the system and can cause all sorts of problems an average user would never credit the AV software for.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Tektechnician

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 7:39 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Anyone with problems updating on a Windows platform: which kind of Antivirus software do you have on your system? Some of the non Microsoft AV do dig really deep into the system and can cause all sorts of problems an average user would never credit the AV software for.

I don't run a antivirus package on any of my computers apart from the Microsoft one, and even then I sometimes turn it off as it can cause some issues with performance especially on low power devices.

Emilian Dechev

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 8:13 am

No antivirus.

Emilian Dechev

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 am

Firmware fixes in version 6.1

"Fixed an issue with camera not being detected by host computer when connected to certain USB ports"

Due to following the advice of the support, I am now at 5.2 and the camera cannot connect to PC, since the forementioned fix is not present.

So in order to fix the connectivity issue, you first need to CONNECT to anything.

"Catch 22" anyone? :lol:

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 8:21 am

Yup. Your frustration is understandable. Standby as we are working on a solution soon.

Mika Viitanen

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 am

Just to repost, as my earlier replies didn't show up - i''m in the same boat, and following the advice to a tee, now stuck at 5.2. Hoping for a solution as we all are. Probably safe to say the cables are not the issue, but of course i might be wrong.

What i do hope is that the given steps that lead to us all downgrading doesn't lead to a new set of issues with modern USB-ports that would have not existed without the downgrade.

I'd venture to say, and not trying to be combative at all, that if you are experiencing the same issues - you should not try the downgrade, and wait for a new fix. I think it's prudent advise at the moment that has not been put forth by support.

But also, we should all provide assistance to support instead of demanding and negative comments.

OlPo2019

BMPCC 4K, problem camera firmware

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 am

After the firmware was rolled back (Two times back: 6.2-6.1-6.0), the installer stopped seeing the camera. How can I restore it?
I solved the problem trite: I connected the camera to another USB. posting.php?mode=edit&f=2&p=485816#
Last edited by OlPo2019 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography