EF SpeedBooster for Ursa Mini Pro G2 ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Filmforge

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 11:16 am

Hi!

As this is my first post here I'll start with a quick introduction. My name is Mike, I am a software developer by trade and filmmaker as a sideline. I am a Resolve user since Adobe announced their subscription model and as a camera I still use a Canon 5D MkIII with Magic Lantern RAW.

I've wanted to replace that camera for years and go 4K (and ergonomics) but there just wasn't anything below $20,000 or even near that mark that fulfilled my needs. The Mavo LF is the first and with a SpeedBooster the Ursa Mini Pro G2 would be the second. While I feel the Mavo LF may be a bit of a gamble, I'd order the new Ursa the day a SpeedBooster is announced for it.

So my questions are: Is it possible for the necessary lenses to fit in a UMP G2 EF-Mount adapter? Would it interfere with the ND-Filters?

What are my needs and why do I need a SpeedBooster/Full Frame?

I need full frame because of the lenses I use. To name just two, I use the TS-E 17mm in almost every project on the 5D MkIII and the 75mm Biotar surprisingly often. Both lenses only really make sense on a full frame sensor. While there's swirly bokeh to be had with other lenses and smaller image circles I'd have to buy them first. There is no alternative, however, to the TS-E 17mm, anywhere.

Also I'd like a camera with proper color science (read: colors out of camera that I like) or internal raw. So the FS7 (although full frame capable with a speed booster) wasn't mine. I also would like to record 4K 50p (at least).

So, the Ursa Mini Pro G2 comes as close as it gets to the perfect camera for me and with a SpeedBooster available the G2 will be it. Here's hoping...

Cheers...
...Mike

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 pm

The Metabones SpeedBooster typically includes 6 optical elements and allows one to interface a lens with a longer flange focal length to the shorter flange focal distance (FFD) of a Micro Four-Thirds Mount such as found on several BMD cameras, but not the URSA line. So you can mount an EF lens (FFD 44mm) on the front end of the SpeedBooster that mounts to the mFT mount (FFD 19.25mm) at the back end.

You can’t mount an EF lens to a focal reducer that in turn would mount to an EF camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Krzysztof Gluszek

Re: EF SpeedBooster for Ursa Mini Pro G2 ?

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 6:04 pm

There is possibility to have speedbooster with ursa mini, 4,6k and pro (and G2 as this is probably the same replaceble mount like in G1) It is called magic booster, it is made in Italy by Lucadapters. Check them out. I use magicbooster ultra with my old 4.6k and thinking of buying one for my pro g1. It is a speedbooster ultra optics pulled out from speedbooster itself and modified for ursa mini. You have to screw it in into the camera between lens mount and sensor. To do this you have to unscrew black, coned shaped plastic element from the camera. Magic booster works really great with 4.6k and gives real FF field of view. There were some issues with infinity focus on wide angle lenses (like canon 16-35 f2.8 L) in the beginning but now it is fixed and works beautifully. Recently Luca is testing the new version for ursa pro and it looks great, nd are working, ef mount electronics is intact of course so lenses works as usual. I dont have link but check facebook Lucadapters. Cheers.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Yes, I did forget about that! Apologies and thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Filmforge

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 7:39 pm

rick.lang wrote:You can’t mount an EF lens to a focal reducer that in turn would mount to an EF camera.

That is correct but not what I meant. The Ursa Mini Pro G2 has a "proprietary" user-interchangeable lens mount (like the KineMount on the Mavos). So its native mount is a "BMD Mount" which in turn takes EF-, PL-, B4- or F-mount modules to fit the respective lenses. The B4 mount module for example already contains additional optics, the EF-mount module does not (yet). The "BMD Mount" hopefully has a sufficiently short flange distance to fit a speed booster. However...

Krzysztof Gluszek wrote:There is possibility to have speedbooster with ursa mini, 4,6k and pro (and G2 as this is probably the same replaceble mount like in G1) It is called magic booster, it is made in Italy by Lucadapters.

I've never heard of that, thank you. Great! I'll have to read up on this.

Cheers...

...Mike

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 9:58 pm

BM does not make a Speed Booster Mount, the Camera has a larger sized S35 size sensor, and their is only about a 1.34 angle of view difference. So if you are using a 50mm in a full frame camera, then just use a 35mm on the Ursa Mini Pro to get the same AOV.

Any Speed Booster Mount is going to be a third party device. The B4 FFD is longer than EF, and the mount is extended, Llowing room for a tele-extender type optical adapter to correct the 3-CCD focus of B4 lenses, it does not expand or reduce the AOV, and when using the B4 Mount, you shoot in window 2K or HD mode, not full sensor. As a Rick pointed out, the Metabones SB (which is an falter) is not going to work on a UM Pro.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MishaEngel

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 pm

Just buy some extra lenses, venuslens LAOWA's are pretty good on the short side and not that expensive.

https://www.venuslens.net/#

Filmforge

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 7:32 am

Denny Smith wrote:So if you are using a 50mm in a full frame camera, then just use a 35mm on the Ursa Mini Pro to get the same AOV.

It's not primarily about angle of view but more about visuals and workflow. I'd have to buy new zooms to have the necessary zoom ranges for uncontrolled settings like documentaries. What good is the swirly bokeh for dreamy images when the sensor crops it away. I'd have to buy an alternative and don't even know if one exists. I'd have to buy a lot more wide angle lenses. Then there's the TS-E 17mm which I mainly use shifted to position people where you normaly couldn't in super wide angle shots because of severe distortion. This can be used in so many ways - from making things intentionally unsettling to just getting the shot in confined quarters. I would lose that ability completely. I also would have to buy additional, longer persprective control lenses (for AOV reasons). I have built contraptions to smoothly tilt the lenses while filming in order to first get only one and then two people in focus without either them or the camera moving (okay, I've used that only once so far, but still).

MishaEngel wrote:Just buy some extra lenses, venuslens LAOWA's are pretty good on the short side and not that expensive.

I already have some. The 15mm macro allows great perspectives and compositions, especially when shifted (which you can still do on a full frame sensor). Cropped to S35 the effect would be a lot less pronounced. And being a wide angle and a macro you can use reverse lens adapters to get more than 4x magnification with over 4cm/1.5" of working distance (okay, that last one would also work on S35 but I wanted to show that I am also using lenses in a weird way).
Then there's the 24mm snorkel lens which allows so many expressive camera movements that can support your storytelling in so many ways. But cropped to S35 it is almost useless (for transitioning from normal to macro shots in one take).

Even if there were S35 equivalents to all those lenses, I'd have to pay so much money that I could almost buy a C700 instead. This is something I will not do because ...why?

Denny Smith wrote:Any Speed Booster Mount is going to be a third party device. The B4 FFD is longer than EF, and the mount is extended, Llowing room for a tele-extender type optical adapter to correct the 3-CCD focus of B4 lenses, it does not expand or reduce the AOV, and when using the B4 Mount, you shoot in window 2K or HD mode, not full sensor.

I pointed out the B4 mount module to show that BMD already produces mount adapters that contain optics. It's a suggestion to the BMD guys. I know a thing or two about the development of complex products and entering new markets. Everyone had a lot on their plates to even get to where they are now. You just cannot do everything at once, especially not not in the beginning.
But now that the product seems to be pretty mature, diverting some manpower to an EF SpeedBooster mount module would perhaps be possible.
I don't know how many there are like me that are locked into full frame by circumstances. Depending on that number they could make such a mount module cheap and also use it as a SalesBooster or pay Metabones a premium for their lenses, build a mount module themselves and charge me an even higher premium for it. €1,200 and from the camera maker itself? I'd pay it. It would make my life so much easier.

Cheers...

...Mike

Jignesh Jhaveri

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 11:03 am

https://www.lucadapterstore.com/

They seem to have one for almost every BM camera now!

Krzysztof Gluszek wrote:There is possibility to have speedbooster with ursa mini, 4,6k and pro (and G2 as this is probably the same replaceble mount like in G1) It is called magic booster, it is made in Italy by Lucadapters. Check them out. I use magicbooster ultra with my old 4.6k and thinking of buying one for my pro g1. It is a speedbooster ultra optics pulled out from speedbooster itself and modified for ursa mini. You have to screw it in into the camera between lens mount and sensor. To do this you have to unscrew black, coned shaped plastic element from the camera. Magic booster works really great with 4.6k and gives real FF field of view. There were some issues with infinity focus on wide angle lenses (like canon 16-35 f2.8 L) in the beginning but now it is fixed and works beautifully. Recently Luca is testing the new version for ursa pro and it looks great, nd are working, ef mount electronics is intact of course so lenses works as usual. I dont have link but check facebook Lucadapters. Cheers.

Return to Cinematography