Canon CN-E Primes (C300 + BMCCs)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Forstm

Canon CN-E Primes (C300 + BMCCs)

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi,

I have a shoot on the west coast in a couple weeks and need to rent some lenses. Has anyone used the new Canon Cineprime EF mount lenses with the BMCC?

These: http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Canon-CNE-Primes-Cinema-Package--EF-Mount

They are designed for full-sensor. They will still work on a crop-sensor like the BMCC, just cropped...correct? Since I'm mixing cameras I just wanted to rent one package and use them across cameras.

Additionally, has anyone done any testing matching C300s and BMCCs. I'm going to likely be using 1x C300 and 2x BMCCs so any matching tips or gotchas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the responses!
To comply with Blackmagic's forum rules, I must disclose that my real name is "Mitchell Forst".

Forstm

Re: Canon CN-E Primes (C300 + BMCCs)

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Anyone? Any help is appreciated.
To comply with Blackmagic's forum rules, I must disclose that my real name is "Mitchell Forst".

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 1:28 pm

As long as the mounts correct then lenses desiged to cover a larger sensorshould cover a smaller one fine.

There are a a couple of things to note:

You may have issues with light pollution and artifacts, as all that extra light has to go somewhere and even NASA doesnt have have perfectly absorbant black for inside hubble and similar. This often isnt an issue but should be remembered.

The portion of the lens used will be the middle, this is usually the opitally best part, but in some lenses this may not be desirable (if you are using a super wide or fisheye for the distortion as an artistic effect).

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Forstm wrote:Hi,

I have a shoot on the west coast in a couple weeks and need to rent some lenses. Has anyone used the new Canon Cineprime EF mount lenses with the BMCC?

These: http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Canon-CNE-Primes-Cinema-Package--EF-Mount

They are designed for full-sensor. They will still work on a crop-sensor like the BMCC, just cropped...correct? Since I'm mixing cameras I just wanted to rent one package and use them across cameras...

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Those Schneider Ciné-Xenar lenses look good enough to eat and will be easier to use and give you better results I believe if your budget can handle the increased rental. If the money is there, no question.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography