Adorama MFT Status *April 10th LATEST*

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim DeLuca

Adorama MFT Status *April 10th LATEST*

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Apologize if this is redundant to the other thread, but that was for the EF version.

So I was hoping this thread can keep tracking of who received their MFT versions from Adorama and when they pre-ordered it, so we can have an idea where everyone is in the back order list.

I think at least one person on this board as mentioned they received their MFT from Adorama? I'll update the title with the latest dates as well.
Last edited by Jim DeLuca on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

javierdpvelez

Re: Adorama MFT Status

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 11:14 pm

December 7 2012... I literally only checked for funsies because of your post and then saw it said shipped. Checked my card and there's a charge. Guess Christmas came after all! :)

Jim DeLuca

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 11:35 pm

javierdpvelez wrote:December 7 2012... I literally only checked for funsies because of your post and then saw it said shipped. Checked my card and there's a charge. Guess Christmas came after all! :)

I'm 2 months after you, so hopefully its less than a two month wait! When did the MFT preorder start?

javierdpvelez

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 am

Jim DeLuca wrote:
javierdpvelez wrote:December 7 2012... I literally only checked for funsies because of your post and then saw it said shipped. Checked my card and there's a charge. Guess Christmas came after all! :)

I'm 2 months after you, so hopefully its less than a two month wait! When did the MFT preorder start?

Announced in September. Supposed to shop in December.

justinsch

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 12:49 am

Jim DeLuca wrote:When did the MFT preorder start?

The 2.5K MFT mount was announced September 7, 2012 so I would assume preorders began soon after.

I've also read on another forum someone ordered on Jan. 3 from Adorama and just recieved shipping notice.

I ordered on April 10th, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Jim DeLuca

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 12:58 am

justinsch wrote:
Jim DeLuca wrote:When did the MFT preorder start?

The 2.5K MFT mount was announced September 7, 2012 so I would assume preorders began soon after.

I've also read on another forum someone ordered on Jan. 3 from Adorama and just recieved shipping notice.

I ordered on April 10th, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Cool, I just checked BMCuser forum, and saw the Jan.3rd date as well. I'm going to update the title if I can.

JB Schiess

Re: Adorama MFT Status *Jan 3rd LATEST*

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Wow! I would be shocked if someone that ordered in January received a camera out of the first batch to ship. Would be nice to hear from others that placed their order with Adorama between sept. and Jan to confirm that they have received their cameras as well.

Jim DeLuca

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 3:21 pm

JB Schiess wrote:Wow! I would be shocked if someone that ordered in January received a camera out of the first batch to ship. Would be nice to hear from others that placed their order with Adorama between sept. and Jan to confirm that they have received their cameras as well.

I saw the post on the bmcuser forum. I'll ask ther person there to double check there wasnt a mistake

justinsch

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 4:05 pm

JB Schiess wrote:Wow! I would be shocked if someone that ordered in January received a camera out of the first batch to ship.

I thought the same thing. Perhaps they originally ordered an EF mount and switched to MFT on Jan. 3rd, so they technically preordered earlier?

Also, I've read numerous places the demand for MFT is significantly less than the EF mounts, so if Adorama receives MFT's at the same rate they receieved EF's, they would fulfill MFT orders much faster. But that's all assumptions and speculation on my part.

Joseph Ciccarella

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Ordered my MFT on 9/12/12. Got it 6/12/13. Had also pre-ordered EF but canceled, then bought it from store when my patience ran out. Adorama has EF's in stock now. I just returned the EF I bought from them last week, yesterday, btw, wasn't easy, I don't think they want them back. ps, I love it. MFT mount is awesome!
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

JB Schiess

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:Ordered my MFT on 9/12/12. Got it 6/12/13. Had also pre-ordered EF but canceled, then bought it from store when my patience ran out. Adorama has EF's in stock now. I just returned the EF I bought from them last week, yesterday, btw, wasn't easy, I don't think they want them back. ps, I love it. MFT mount is awesome!

Congrats! I hope to join you soon!

Jim DeLuca

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 9:48 pm

I got a reply from the bmcuser member Wolfgang488, he said

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?1 ... ere/page67

"Yes I had to talk to them on the phone due to paypal snafu. Definately MFT. I was shocked and asked a few times to make sure. Ordered January 3. :-) "

He also never had an order in for the EF version.

Fabián Matas

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 3:16 am

So here we go again, I ordered the day they announced and nothing arrived here...

:(

Jim DeLuca

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 3:53 am

Fabián Matas wrote:So here we go again, I ordered the day they announced and nothing arrived here...

From Adorama?

Fabián Matas

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 am

Jim DeLuca wrote:
Fabián Matas wrote:So here we go again, I ordered the day they announced and nothing arrived here...

From Adorama?

Nope, EU reseller :( Same old story .

Samjack

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 10:57 am

So they still not sort out distribution for EU customers.
CVP said once MFT was announced they placed 200 MFT cameras on the day.
Fed up :(

Christine Peterson

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Samjack wrote:So they still not sort out distribution for EU customers.

Shipping throughout Europe can sometimes take longer than shipping throughout the US because you're dealing with many different countries rather than many different states within the same country. More forms to fill out and more country distributors to go through. The cameras are coming!
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Samjack

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:
Samjack wrote:So they still not sort out distribution for EU customers.

Shipping throughout Europe can sometimes take longer than shipping throughout the US because you're dealing with many different countries rather than many different states within the same country. More forms to fill out and more country distributors to go through. The cameras are coming!

Even so CVP is the biggest reseller the equievelent of B&H or Adorama. USA is mde up of many states just as EU is. Having said that going by the BMCC the whole of Europe combined as a single region the number of cameras shipped were still far smaller than for USA. Distribution is not even.

justinsch

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 8:53 pm

I just received shipping notice of my MFT from Adorama 30 minutes ago. I ordered on April 10th 2013.

I hope everyone else gets notices soon.

Jim DeLuca

Re: Adorama MFT Status *April 10th LATEST*

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 10:13 pm

And I just got notice of shipping for the end of the day from Adorama, and I ordered February 5th!!!

Woah, guess there really wasn't a lot of MFT preorders!

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 1:17 am

Jim DeLuca wrote:And I just got notice of shipping for the end of the day from Adorama, and I ordered February 5th!!!

Woah, guess there really wasn't a lot of MFT preorders!

Or Adorama placed a large order very very quickly early last September and is getting a high proportion then of the newly shipping cameras.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Samjack

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 am

It might have been people cancelling their MFT when the 4K camera was announced.

Malcolm Purnell

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Greetings all,
I placed my order feb 7th and the patience has paid off. I got a call yesterday that adorama wanted to send me my camera. It's done and should be here soon. So those who order after your next up. Nuff' said. Can't wait to start posting footage.

javierdpvelez

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 9:09 pm

(issue was dealt with) :)
Last edited by javierdpvelez on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christine Peterson

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 9:41 pm

javierdpvelez wrote:I wanted to post this on here to just blow some steam and let you guys be aware of my experience in case one you guys fall into my situation.

I pre-order my MFT camera back in early December. I waited and waited but didn't complain too much as I understand the issues and figured there wasn't a better camera for me anyways so I might as well wait. And so I did. This morning my camera arrived. You can imagine how excited I was when I received it. First thing I did was pop a lens on. Except when I opened it I noticed a spec of debris on the sensor. You can imagine my horror at finding this. I turned on the camera and couldn't see anything on the monitor so I was calmed down but still, what to do about this debris in the sensor. I know sensors are sensitive so I looked in the manual and online for options. I could get a sensor cleaner for $60...you know what I rather not deal with this and bite myself in the butt. I'll just exchange it.

First thing I did was e-mail Helen this morning. Still haven't received a response though I imagine she is busy. Second thing I did was call Adorama, I assumed it would be easy to exchange, right? WRONG. I spoke to customer service and they told that I wouldn't be able to exchange it as there wasn't any MFT's available. I said ok but you must have some stock set aside in case one fails-NOPE. Alright, I'll wait for the next batch and exchange then-NOPE- "we can put you on the list but you have to give us the camera first." Alright let me speak to the supervisor. I get transferred to Susan the supervisor who repeats the same information- no cameras to exchange for as whatever they received was sent out and no way for me to be put on this line unless I return the product first. We went back and forth and no budge. Mind you I live in NYC not far from Adorama. I wouldn't mind having the camera for now, I don't mind waiting, and then exchanging it once they have more product. NOPE, not happening. Alright then will you give me a sensor cleaner for free? They sell them at Adorama for about $60- I didn't find it fair for me to pay for something when they provided me a product that was faulty- NOPE, can't do that either, they said if they did that then they would be held accountable if I broke it by accident.

All I heard was no, absolutely no budging,and no help for me, a customer who has been waiting more than 6 months only to receive a faulty product. All I was told is that they failed in not putting some aside in case a camera failed, and that they would be more than happy to put me on the list, just as long as I return it first. Then I'm at the mercy of however much longer I'll have to wait for the next shipment to come in. I don't understand why I have to give the product back before putting me on the list to receive another one to exchange for. I have a shoot tomorrow and now, a camera with debris on the sensor....thanks Adorama.

I work retail and I can tell you that if something like this happened with one of our products this absolutely not the service we would provide for a customer, especially for equipment used for a business. From this experience I don't think I'll ever shop at Adorama again.

Hopefully Helen will see this and maybe the Adorama gods will change their mind and actually help.

Hi Javier,

You might consider giving our support team a call. They could help you figure out if your camera is faulty or if there is a simple solution. The number for US support is +1 408-954-0500.

If the "debris" is not visible on your monitor or in your footage, you probably don't have anything to worry about though. Any dust around the sensor is sandwiched between two pieces of glass and shouldn't be able to move around, so it shouldn't trouble you in the future. If the dust is on top of the glass, that can be easily cleaned with a Q-tip or lens brush.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

javierdpvelez

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Thank you Christine.

I spoke to BM support (Julian Fine) and he was extremely helpful. I am gonna try to blow the debris out with a squeeze duster as per Julian's suggest and if not we will talk about an ARM possibility. BM's support was extremely friendly, helpful, and completely heard me out. While I do appreciate the help you have given me I do want my previous post to remain on this thread and the adorama pre order thread as well. I think we need to be aware about the kind of service that is given at Adorama when it comes to these kind of issues.

Again, thanks. I look forward to using more of BM products and hopefully posting footage soon.

Javier

Samjack

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 12:51 pm

javierdpvelez wrote:Thank you Christine.

I spoke to BM support (Julian Fine) and he was extremely helpful. I am gonna try to blow the debris out with a squeeze duster as per Julian's suggest and if not we will talk about an ARM possibility. BM's support was extremely friendly, helpful, and completely heard me out. While I do appreciate the help you have given me I do want my previous post to remain on this thread and the adorama pre order thread as well. I think we need to be aware about the kind of service that is given at Adorama when it comes to these kind of issues.

Again, thanks. I look forward to using more of BM products and hopefully posting footage soon.

Javier

You mean there is no sensor self cleaning system like in dSLRs :o

javierdpvelez

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Samjack wrote:
javierdpvelez wrote:Thank you Christine.

Javier

You mean there is no sensor self cleaning system like in dSLRs :o

Nope. Just like any other video camera, RED, ALEXA, and 8/16/35/65MM motion picture camera- you gotta get dirty and do it yourself. I'm not so sure the self cleaner would've helped. I got it off this morning but it took alot of engineering, wasn't as simple as blowing air, and it was quite a big speck that was stuck on there good.

Jules Bushell

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 2:14 pm

My BMCC MFT (not from Adorama) also had debris on the sensor. I just used a squeeze duster and was good to go.

Hope your problem is as simple, Javier.

Cheers,
Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

javierdpvelez

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 pm

I tried the squeeze duster and it didn't work. It was stuck on there good so had to slightly push it with a sensor cleaner and then squeeze air with more strength. It finally gave in. It ended up being successful so in that sense I'm happy. I don't blame anyone for receiving a camera like this, these things happen. What am is shocked at the extremely poor response received from Adorama as well as their not business friendly policies, and the incredible and friendly help from the BM support that turned my frown upside down. I know better now!

Have you had a chance to shoot yet Jules? What's your lens set up?

Jules Bushell

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 2:31 am

javierdpvelez wrote:Have you had a chance to shoot yet Jules? What's your lens set up?

I have outdoors and like they say, it's a total game changer. Was using Nikkor lenses f/1.4 & f/1.2 and testing out shallow depth of field, but don't have a decent wide yet. Be a toss up between SLR Magic 12mm or Tokina 11-16mm DX for Nikon. Probably the latter to use with the Speed Booster when it comes.

Javier, I would ask you what you are using for wide but probably getting off the thread topic too much?

Cheers,
Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 am

Jules Bushell wrote:
javierdpvelez wrote:Have you had a chance to shoot yet Jules? What's your lens set up?

I have outdoors and like they say, it's a total game changer. Was using Nikkor lenses f/1.4 & f/1.2 and testing out shallow depth of field, but don't have a decent wide yet. Be a toss up between SLR Magic 12mm or Tokina 11-16mm DX for Nikon. Probably the latter to use with the Speed Booster when it comes.

Javier, I would ask you what you are using for wide but probably getting off the thread topic too much?

Cheers,
Jules

Off topic, but Tokina is hoping to release their own ciné version of the popular 11-16mm f/2.8 zoom lens about September 2013. It will be T3 to T22. Price expected to be below $2,000. Sounds good, no?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Steve Lee Jean

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 6:44 am

I don't mean to be a negative nancy on Tokina's new 11-16 CINE, but I wanna actually see the unit and a review before I drop that kind of money on it. If it's just a rehoused and marked Tokina 11-16 without the electronics with an upcharge of 1,300 bucks, then no way.

However, if it comes with a quality housing that's weather resistant, longer and more cinematic focus throw, more iris blades, and PL mount, then I'd say 2 grand it just about worth it. The Duclos 11-16 mod is superb, but its out of my price range, and if this Cine version comes close to the Duclos one, then I'm in.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Return to Cinematography