Future update request BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BennoZ

Future update request BMPCC4K

PostSat May 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi, I wonder if there are more users which are missing some things at the BlackMagic Pocket Camera, I'm really missing the next things and I hope BlackMagic will read this and consider to add this in a future firmware-update:

1. The ability to set the headphones to mono, now you got channel one in your left ear and channel two in your right ear. It's impossible to listen to that.
2. The possibility to record XLR input to channel one and channel two at the same time, but to set the levels individually. Now the left and right levels are locked together.
3. 'Something' to control the camera remotely, so rec, iris, iso and so on (LANC?). When I'm operating this camera at a gimbal I can't start/stop recording or adjust any other settings. Can't it be done by the mini-jack input?
4. And just a less important thing: to set a custom filename instead of the long it is now. Maybe only custom name and number, that's enough.
Last edited by BennoZ on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Engel

Re: Future update request BMPCC4K

PostThu May 16, 2019 2:38 pm

#2 from that list is only useful if the processing is capturing more dynamic range from the input than can be stored by the codec. Best guess is that without hardware support this isn't going to give you anything of value as the scaling would need to be done digitally for one of the channels after the audio had already passed through the preamp (and thus had already been subjected to clipping and the addition of analog noise).

#3 - there's an app for that (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_US)

Ryan Humphrey

PostThu May 16, 2019 4:28 pm

#1 would be very nice

#2 all depends on how the signal path is set up. For example, many good quality external recorders from Tascam and Zoom let you use a separate track to record a safety track from the same input at a different level. I doubt anyone outside Blackmagic knows for sure if that's something the Pocket4k hardware would allow for.

#4 would be nice as well. No so much for me, but I often hand my files off to other people and many of them don't appreciate long seemingly random file names. Being able to set names based on slate information would be very nice.

kalinska

PostThu May 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Hello,
I think we have to be reasonable and not to make this exceptional cinema camera a vulgar camera with 1000 options that most people do not use. Do not make it an object to do everything.
I would like to be able to listen to the radio, it would be great... ;)
Ryzen 7-3800 - 48 Go - Win10 Pro X64 1809 - x BMPCC 4k /ATEM - Resolve Studio 18.6.2 - Decklink / Intensity Pro 4K - Nvidia 1080ti 537.58 et Nvidia 1660ti 528.49

ricardo marty

PostThu May 16, 2019 5:03 pm

BennoZ wrote:3. 'Something' to control the camera remotely, so rec, iris, iso and so on (LANC?). When I'm operating this camera at a gimbal I can't start/stop recording or adjust any other settings. Can't it be done by the mini-jack input?
4. And just a less important thing: to set a custom filename instead of the long it is now. Maybe only custom name and number, that's enough.

inmop this is a better bmp4k controller:

DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

BennoZ

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks for that, I have an iPhone so can't use this app. But I'm using the Blackmagic Bluetooth+ app a few months now and that works also great. I've connected my iPhone to the left of the gimbal and now I'm able to operate the Pocket remotely.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 4:39 pm

kalinska wrote:Hello,
I think we have to be reasonable and not to make this exceptional cinema camera a vulgar camera with 1000 options that most people do not use. Do not make it an object to do everything.
I would like to be able to listen to the radio, it would be great... ;)

I have to take issue with this post because I hear it in other threads and for other products as well, and quite frankly I don't understand the attitude.

The OP isn't asking for some bizarre functions that have nothing to do with camera functionality in general. If he's asking for them that means he genuinely needs those for his workflow. They all seem quite reasonable.

The question to you is -- how does the OP asking for these things affect you? What makes you want to stop doing what you're doing to take the time to crap all over his request? Would it bother you if those functions are added? If so, why?
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Return to Cinematography