BMPCC (original) SD Cards

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu May 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Ok, since I am starting to experiment with various cards for the BMPCC I just got used, I figured I would make a list of the cards I have tried and how poorly it went with each, on my particular camera. YMMV, but hoping someone finds it at least somewhat helpful. I will edit this post as I test more cards.


Data rates in MB/sec for BMPCC
Code: Select all
                    23.98      24        25        29.97     30
====================================================================
Prores Proxy         4.5        4.5       4.69      5.62      5.63
Prores LT           10.2       10.21     10.64     12.75     12.76
Prores 422          14.7       14.71     15.33     18.38     18.39
Prores HQ           22         22.02     22.94     27.5      27.53
CDNG RAW            57.552     57.6      60        71.93     72
(Assuming 2.4 MB/frame for CDNG RAW)


Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test Results

Testing done using a SanDisk UHS-1 Reader; showing lowest write speed observed during multiple test cycles (at least 5) with the tool with the 5 GB setting selected. If observed speed is less than 35 MB/sec, testing stops here. All cards are formatted HFS+ using a computer.


Lexar Professional 1667x 64GB SDXC UHS-II/U3 Card (LSD64GCBNA1667) - 13.6
Kingston 64GB V30 microSD - 19.6
ProGrade Digital Micro SDXC UHS-II V60 microSD 32GB - 25.2
Netac UHS-I U3 V30 Ultra microSDXC 256GB - 30.7
Kingston Canvas React 32GB microSDHC Class 10 microSD (SDCR/32GB) - 37.9
Amplim 32GB V90 UHS-II SDXC - 46.1
Angelbird AVP032SDV60 32GB - 59.2
Sony SDHC UHS-II “G Series” SF-G32/T1 (32GB) - 67.4
Delkin Power 32GB V90 UHS-II - 68.2
Transcend 32 GB Uhs-II Class 3 V90 SDHC (TS32GSDC700S) - 68.5
Sony 32GB Class 10 UHS-1/U3 SDHC up to 95MB/s (SF16UZ/TQN) - 68.9
Kingston Canvas React 128GB SDXC SDR/128GB - 73.2
SanDisk SDSDXPK-064G-ANCIN Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB UHS-II - 76.7
Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC Evo Select (MB-ME128GA/AM) - 77.5
Angelbird AVP064SDMK2V60 64GB - 78.7
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB 95MB/sec (SDSDXP-512G-A-46) - 80.0
SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 V30 A1 - 80.2
SanDisk 128GB Extreme A2 UHS-I Class 10 V30 U3 microSDXC - 84.2
SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB 95MB/sec V30 UHS-II (SDSDXXG) - 90.9
Verbatim 32GB Pro Plus 600X SDHC Memory Card, UHS-I V30 U3 Class 10 - 290.7



CAMERA DOES NOT ACCEPT CARD

If the camera indicates “NO CARD” when the card is inserted, the card is obviously not suitable for the camera, and testing stops here.


Sony SDHC UHS-II “G Series” SF-G32/T1 (32GB)
SanDisk 128GB Extreme A2 UHS-I Class 10 V30 U3 microSDXC
Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 95MB/sec V30 UHS-II (SDSDXXG)



BLANK RECORDING TESTING

This is preliminary on-camera testing that might sometimes get skipped as it is less useful than the next stage. With this test, the camera will record onto the card with the lens cap or body cap in place - just recording black while the camera sits on a table. This is not definitive as the codecs can sometimes be variable-rate and just recording black will not always cause a failure as quickly as shooting actual footage; the benefit is that I can start the test and do other things while it runs, so I can narrow things down for later stages of testing. Testing is limited to the codecs and frame rates suggested by the disk test speed results. Testing is done for at least 15 minutes or until the card is filled (if it cannot hold that much). The highest codec and frame rate that survives testing with no dropped frames is listed here. Testing is not done below Prores LT 30p - if that codec and frame rate do not work, the card is listed as FAILED and testing stops here.


Transcend 32 GB Uhs-II Class 3 V90 SDHC (TS32GSDC700S) - HQ 30fps
SanDisk SDSDXPK-064G-ANCIN Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB UHS-II - HQ 25fps
Delkin Power 32GB V90 UHS-II - HQ 25fps
Angelbird AVP032SDV60 32GB - 422 30fps
Sony 32GB Class 10 UHS-1/U3 SDHC up to 95MB/s (SF16UZ/TQN) - 422 24fps
Kingston Canvas React 32GB microSDHC Class 10 microSD (SDCR/32GB) - FAILED
Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC Evo Select (MB-ME128GA/AM) - FAILED



15 MINUTE RANDOM SHOOTING TEST

This test involves walking around with the camera and shooting one continuous clip of various random objects for 15 minutes or longer. Testing is limited to the codecs and frame rates suggested by the disk speed test results, and by the blank recording testing if that was done. Cards that have been tested for this category are removed from the blank recording testing list after being added here, as this is a more meaningful test.


Angelbird AVP064SDMK2V60 64GB - RAW 30fps
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB 95MB/sec (SDSDXP) - RAW 30fps
SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 V30 A1 - RAW 30fps
Kingston Canvas React 128GB SDXC SDR/128GB - RAW 30fps
Amplim 32GB V90 UHS-II SDXC - HQ 25fps
Verbatim 32GB Pro Plus 600X SDHC Memory Card, UHS-I V30 U3 Class 10 - FAILED
Last edited by Frank Engel on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:20 am, edited 17 times in total.
Offline

lee4ever

  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:59 pm
  • Real Name: Aki Lee

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri May 17, 2019 7:51 pm

That's nice of you. Thank you.

There is no other way.
@BMD, will there be a firmware update for Video Assist, Micro and old Pocket...? Can the customer do something? Does hardware have to be replaced, if so which? Can Technical Support / your engineers, tell us what we need to change about the hardware? Is it just a diode, a chip or something else?

There was something similar with Acer Notebook at that time, which could not be switched on after some time. The technical support then published information in the forum about what to do on the mainboard.

So if the problem cannot be solved with firmware and if the solution is to change something on the hardware, then give us some tips!
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri May 17, 2019 11:11 pm

lee4ever wrote:@BMD, will there be a firmware update for Video Assist, Micro and old Pocket...?


They have already stated rather clearly on other threads that there will not.
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1234
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat May 18, 2019 9:21 am

SanDisk is responding to queries about this and now recommend the Extreme Pro UHS II 300 mb/s cards for the original BMPCC. A few people here have said they work in their BMPCC (original) and Video Assists.

These are expensive media (here in Canada a 128 MB card costs $300) but it sounds like it's the best available option at this point. They won't record at 300 mb/s on UHS I devices like the Pocket, but they should record at adequate speeds for ProRes HQ and raw. I haven't tested but may get one eventually.
Resolve 16.0, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSun May 19, 2019 10:09 am

Brad Hurley wrote:SanDisk is responding to queries about this and now recommend the Extreme Pro UHS II 300 mb/s cards for the original BMPCC.


I have the 32GB, 64GB and 128GB versions on my list to try, but I won't be able to get to them all at once. I will probably be getting one of them to try soon, most likely the 64GB.
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu May 23, 2019 12:37 am

Brad Hurley wrote:they should record at adequate speeds for ProRes HQ and raw


Oddly enough, now that I tested one of these 64 GB cards I found it to be unreliable for RAW and for HQ@30p. So far HQ looks good at 23.98p, haven't tried at 24p/25p yet.

On the other hand, an $11 Kingston card (32 GB) handled 30p RAW flawlessly and I filled the card with it twice so far without issue. I just ordered a 64 GB version of the card and will be testing these a bit more closely. I also have a different Sony card on the way that has been indicated on another thread as working.

I generally regard Kingston as a good brand for normal RAM, but hadn't tried their SD cards before... this is looking rather promising so far, particularly with them having a 512 GB version of the card that costs less than the 128 GB version of the SanDisk card...
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1234
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu May 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks for testing all these, Frank, this is really useful.

Disappointing to hear about the UHS-II cards, but fingers crossed on the Kingstons, that sounds promising. Assuming you're satisfied after additional testings, please post the specs on the Kingston SD cards you're using.

I normally shoot only short clips (5 minutes or less) with my BMPCC but last weekend at an event I shot a bunch of longer clips (10 minutes or longer) and got frequent frame-drop warnings. This was with the pre-2018 SanDisk Extreme 95mb/s UHS-I disks recommended by Blackmagic Design, shooting Prores HQ at 30fps. It's the first time I've ever encountered frame drops on that camera after more than a year of shooting with it, although I normally shoot in 23.98.
Resolve 16.0, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu May 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:please post the specs on the Kingston SD cards you're using.


It is this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B6BSFKH
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostTue May 28, 2019 10:46 am

Brad Hurley wrote:fingers crossed on the Kingstons, that sounds promising. Assuming you're satisfied after additional testings


I was testing the 64 GB card a few days ago and while it initially looked like the results I was getting from the 32 GB card, I was eventually able to get it to drop frames even with 30p Proxy, under fairly normal conditions. As a result I need to question that the 32 GB card might have the same issue once I get a chance to push it a bit harder.

I am going to rework part of my testing methodology... seems I may have neglected something.
Offline

John Paines

  • Posts: 2966
  • Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostTue May 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Frank Engel wrote:SanDisk SDSDXPK-064G-ANCIN Sandisk Extreme Pro - Flash memory Card - 64 GB
RAW: none HQ: 30p 422: 30p LT: 30p Proxy: 30p
** RAW is unreliable on the card that I got on my camera
it makes it a few minutes but sometimes less than 3 before starting to drop frames
** while HQ made it to 5 min in 30p, it eventually dropped frames; at 23.96 it filled the card


It could be a counterfeit or a defective card, but unfortunately, this result injects doubt into the whole survey, as these card provided reliable performance for years, for many users, until the firmware changed... Could be your camera, or the other issues. Also, if you can, try to avoid micro-cards. They seem more prone to error in the BMPCC than full size versions.
Offline

RTESCONDIT

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 pm
  • Real Name: ROBERT ESCONDIT

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 pm

In regards to testing - has anyone tested the less popular SD card brands for the BMPCC yet? Curious whether they're able to withstand RAW or even being read by the camera. Any feedback would be appreciated. I will continue to test as well.

Here's the list in question:

ADATA Premier Pro SDXC UHS-I U1
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Gobe Magic SDXC UHS-I U3
Lexar SDXC Professional Class 10 600x UHS-I
PNY Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-I
PNY Pro-Elite Plus 32GB SDHC (P-SDH32U2-30-GE)
Toshiba Exceria Type 2 SDXC UHS-I
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 6:05 pm

RTESCONDIT wrote:ADATA Premier Pro SDXC UHS-I U1
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Gobe Magic SDXC UHS-I U3
Lexar SDXC Professional Class 10 600x UHS-I
PNY Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-I
PNY Pro-Elite Plus 32GB SDHC (P-SDH32U2-30-GE)
Toshiba Exceria Type 2 SDXC UHS-I


A "Class 10" or "U1" rating is not likely worth testing unless there is reason to think it is under-rated.

You seem to have listed the same Delkin twice... I'm tied up with a few other things right now but I added the 64 GB Elite to my list of cards to test when I get back to this (hopefully soon) and come up with a more accurate testing method. I do have one of the Delkin "Power" cards ordered, as well as a different SanDisk card, but that is a UHS-II card so I don't necessarily have high hopes for it on this camera.

One of the things that complicates this is that the rating jumps from V30 (30 MB/sec continuous write) to V60 (60 MB/sec continuous write) and from what I gather the two speed "modes" that the BMPCC operates in are limited to less than V60 speeds, so a card that achieves V60 is doing so by using protocol features that won't work on the BMPCC, and a V30 rating isn't enough to keep up with the data rates of this camera, so you can't really tell from the way the cards are rated whether or not they are even theoretically capable of keeping up.
Offline

RTESCONDIT

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 pm
  • Real Name: ROBERT ESCONDIT

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
RTESCONDIT wrote:ADATA Premier Pro SDXC UHS-I U1
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Delkin Devices Elite SDHC UHS-I
Gobe Magic SDXC UHS-I U3
Lexar SDXC Professional Class 10 600x UHS-I
PNY Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-I
PNY Pro-Elite Plus 32GB SDHC (P-SDH32U2-30-GE)
Toshiba Exceria Type 2 SDXC UHS-I


Frank Engel wrote:A "Class 10" or "U1" rating is not likely worth testing unless there is reason to think it is under-rated.


The only reason I mentioned further testing was because there is some success with those cards online, but I can't find enough of a success rate to warrant them passable.

Frank Engel wrote:You seem to have listed the same Delkin twice... I'm tied up with a few other things right now but I added the 64 GB Elite to my list of cards to test when I get back to this (hopefully soon) and come up with a more accurate testing method. I do have one of the Delkin "Power" cards ordered, as well as a different SanDisk card, but that is a UHS-II card so I don't necessarily have high hopes for it on this camera.


Great - I welcome any feedback. I'm continuing to test cards as well. The Delkin cards above are the ones that BM recommends for ProRes (I mostly shoot RAW but still worth testing).

Frank Engel wrote:One of the things that complicates this is that the rating jumps from V30 (30 MB/sec continuous write) to V60 (60 MB/sec continuous write) and from what I gather the two speed "modes" that the BMPCC operates in are limited to less than V60 speeds, so a card that achieves V60 is doing so by using protocol features that won't work on the BMPCC, and a V30 rating isn't enough to keep up with the data rates of this camera, so you can't really tell from the way the cards are rated whether or not they are even theoretically capable of keeping up.


This is true. The V90 Lexar cards don't work - I tested a few of those.
Offline

Craig Seeman

  • Posts: 558
  • Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 8:06 pm

BTW it seems Sandisk is actually still selling the original cards that work with the BMPCC
https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-car ... s-i-90mbps
and they're available on Amazon
https://amazon.com/dp/B00NP699ZI/
These are the original not the newer V30 and you can see on Amazon they're designated "Old Generation"
Offline
User avatar

Tommaso Alvisi

  • Posts: 141
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 am
  • Location: ITALY

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 10:12 pm

nope...

old generation are V30 95mb/s which don't work...

new gen are 170mb/s which don't work either...
Offline

Craig Seeman

  • Posts: 558
  • Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Tommaso Alvisi wrote:nope...

old generation are V30 95mb/s which don't work...

new gen are 170mb/s which don't work either...


Works
IMG_7938.jpg
IMG_7938.jpg (319.83 KiB) Viewed 25526 times

and this is what's on Amazon.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 7.03.58 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 7.03.58 PM.jpg (706.23 KiB) Viewed 25526 times
Offline

Craig Seeman

  • Posts: 558
  • Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 11:14 pm

This is the 95Mbps V30.

There are 95MBps which are V30 and there are 95MBps which aren't V30
So there seems to be two 95MBps series available.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 7.10.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 7.10.56 PM.png (653.62 KiB) Viewed 25525 times
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:and this is what's on Amazon.


The Amazon listings are not always particularly good about updating the pictures when the manufacturers change the part numbers or the vendors switch to providing a newer version of something. In some cases they are listing old model numbers too but shipping newer ones. It is neither helpful nor consistent.
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 11374
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 5:16 am

The V30 cards are the newer ones that seem not to work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline

Craig Seeman

  • Posts: 558
  • Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
Craig Seeman wrote:and this is what's on Amazon.


The Amazon listings are not always particularly good about updating the pictures when the manufacturers change the part numbers or the vendors switch to providing a newer version of something. In some cases, they are listing old model numbers too but shipping newer ones. It is neither helpful nor consistent.


That's true. I'd trust Sandisk though and I'd personally recommend buying directly from them. Their price is the same as that of Amazon although the shipping might take longer.

Kristen Lam said SDSDXP is the series that works. Sandisk sells three 512GB cards. One is the SDSDXP. Looking at their site that may be the only SDSDXP still for sale. The smaller sizes no longer exist in that series.

Unless people are near fruitlessly hunting for smaller less expensive alternatives because they want to avoid spending $200. I'm just noting that as per BMD's response there is one compatible card still for sale directly from Sandisk. And it's also officially BMD sanctioned for the BMPCC4K and it's the only 512GB SD card that is

https://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/ ... .309192500.
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:Kristen Lam said SDSDXP is the series that works. Sandisk sells three 512GB cards. One is the SDSDXP. Looking at their site that may be the only SDSDXP still for sale. The smaller sizes no longer exist in that series.


My guess is that this is the only remaining size because they've already sold all the others - it may be that they have stopped making them and are selling off their old stock.

In that case, even if those do work there is limited availability and once they are gone...
Offline

Craig Seeman

  • Posts: 558
  • Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
Craig Seeman wrote:Kristen Lam said SDSDXP is the series that works. Sandisk sells three 512GB cards. One is the SDSDXP. Looking at their site that may be the only SDSDXP still for sale. The smaller sizes no longer exist in that series.


My guess is that this is the only remaining size because they've already sold all the others - it may be that they have stopped making them and are selling off their old stock.

In that case, even if those do work there is limited availability and once they are gone...


I only see this 95MBs 512GB and the 170MBs 512GB size cards. They both have the same list price. I don't doubt the 95MBs 512GB will go away leaving only the other. Perhaps it will remain available until BMD stops selling the Micro and the Assist that uses these cards.

Although if that's the case the BMPCC4k will lose it's only compatible 512GB SD card. That might keep it alive longer. The 170MBs Sandisk cards are not listed as compatible with the 4k either. In fact the other 95MBs V30 Sandisk cards also aren't listed as compatible with the 4K.
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:I'd trust Sandisk though and I'd personally recommend buying directly from them. Their price is the same as that of Amazon although the shipping might take longer


FYI, I did wind up ordering one of the 512GB cards direct from SanDisk and so far it is working flawlessly with the camera, all the way up to 30fps RAW. I will probably order one or two more eventually as backups, but also continuing to test the other cards.
Offline

RTESCONDIT

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 pm
  • Real Name: ROBERT ESCONDIT

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 am

Frank Engel wrote:FYI, I did wind up ordering one of the 512GB cards direct from SanDisk and so far it is working flawlessly with the camera, all the way up to 30fps RAW. I will probably order one or two more eventually as backups, but also continuing to test the other cards.


Thanks for letting us know, Frank. My recent purchases of the 512GB SDSDXP serial are also working well without any dropped frames for 24fps RAW.

Will keep everyone updated as I do more tests on additional cards. Will keep an eye out on your tests.

All the best!
Offline

robertmpiscatelli

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:53 pm
  • Real Name: Robert Piscatelli

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Ok so I'm new to using the BMPCC, just picked one up for cheap and getting back into shooting projects. At the moment currently working on some marketing material for a band.

Anyway, the great discussion seems to be what cards work well with the ORIGINAL BMPCC. Well after ordering the recommended Sandisk SD Card, specifically (SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXY-064G-GN4IN), turns out it didn't work, as most of you probably are aware of.

Yet I have had huge success with a MicroSD card from Samsung that I bought at a Walmart near me, just because I needed something to test the camera on, and yes, I can shoot RAW on this and didn't encounter any drop frames, so far that is.

Here is the card: SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 V30 A1 Card SDSQXBG-064G-GN6MA

The one that I currently have is the A1 version, although I'm not sure if it makes a difference. Please feel free to let me know. Although I'm curious as this version that I have is V30 and it works just fine, I also have checked and have the latest firmware for my BMPCC, so I'm up to date as far as that goes.

Like everyone I really wish I didn't have to jump through hoops to shoot on this still great camera, I'm planning on at least using it for a year or so before moving on to either the Panasonic GH line or BMPCC4K.

Anyway hope this helps anyone in need!
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm

robertmpiscatelli wrote:Here is the card: SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 V30 A1 Card SDSQXBG-064G-GN6MA


Thanks, I'll check one of those out.
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 am

robertmpiscatelli wrote:Here is the card: SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 V30 A1 Card SDSQXBG-064G-GN6MA


This is a great find. I was able to record about 17 minutes in one take at 30fps RAW with no dropped frames on this card (the card only holds about that much).
Offline

Ariel Guerchicoff

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:56 am

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 3:39 pm

I bought a Kingston Canvas React of 128GB and so far working perfect for filming in RAW 29fps on my BMPCC without dropped frames! I think it is the cheapest solution for our wonderful blackmagic pocket.

This is the card I bought:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B69QCTH
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 10:27 am

Ariel Guerchicoff wrote:I bought a Kingston Canvas React of 128GB


Thanks, I added that to my list of cards to try out. I had tried a 32GB microSD version of that card and it initially was looking very good but it did not hold up and started dropping frames rather quickly even in Prores LT when I started trying to use it in a more meaningful scenario, but there are plenty of other cards that only work in specific sizes and the non-micro SD might work better also, so crossing my fingers this might be one of those cases as well.
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1234
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 10:40 am

Frank Engel wrote:
Ariel Guerchicoff wrote:I bought a Kingston Canvas React of 128GB


Thanks, I added that to my list of cards to try out.


I ordered one of these as well and will let you know how it goes (original BMPCC, Micro Cinema Camera, and Video Assist 5").
Resolve 16.0, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

Username

  • Posts: 80
  • Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am
  • Real Name: Petter Flink

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 11:57 am

Instead of crossposting everything I'll leave a link below.

These cards do work perfect with RAW @ 30fps in the BMMCC

Integrals UltimaPro X Gold SDHC/XC UHS-I U3 Card
in the sizes 128, 256 and 512 GB.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050&start=100#p529404
Grew up with a Nikon FM - Evolving with a BMMCC
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Username wrote:These cards do work perfect with RAW @ 30fps in the BMMCC

Integrals UltimaPro X Gold SDHC/XC UHS-I U3 Card
in the sizes 128, 256 and 512 GB.


Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a source for those cards here in the US. I see them in 32GB and 64GB sizes but not in the larger sizes that you indicated are working.
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1234
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Ariel Guerchicoff wrote:I bought a Kingston Canvas React of 128GB and so far working perfect for filming in RAW 29fps on my BMPCC without dropped frames! I think it is the cheapest solution for our wonderful blackmagic pocket.

This is the card I bought:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B69QCTH


Mine arrived today and so far I've shot 10 minutes at raw 30fps and no dropped frames yet. Recognized instantly by the camera. Looks very promising.

EDITED TO ADD: Unfortunately got a dropped frame warning after about 13 minutes of continuous shooting in raw at 30fps. I'll be interested to see how Frank's test goes, though, because there could be something wrong with my camera -- I've gotten dropped frames in Prores HQ at 30fps on my original BMPCC using the BMD-approved SanDisk cards, although not at lower frame rates. I'll try testing it in my Micro Cinema Camera as well but probably not this weekend.

Another update (1 August 2019): I've now tested the 128 gigabyte Kingston Canvas React SD card in my Micro Cinema Camera and was able to fill the card (approx 30 minutes) at 30 fps shooting raw with no dropped frames. Based on that, I'm going to order a few of these since they're so cheap.
Resolve 16.0, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

Represa

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:16 pm
  • Real Name: Raul Represa

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 12:27 pm

I also bougth the kingston canvas react SDR/256GB and it seems to work ok in raw 25fps on my old BMPCC.
No dropped frames so far.
I'll informe if I detect any issue.
Attachments
bmpcc.png
kingston canvas react test at 5gb stress
bmpcc.png (613.76 KiB) Viewed 21729 times
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 12:59 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:I'll be interested to see how Frank's test goes, though, because there could be something wrong with my camera -- I've gotten dropped frames in Prores HQ at 30fps on my original BMPCC using the BMD-approved SanDisk cards, although not at lower frame rates. I'll try testing it in my Micro Cinema Camera as well but probably not this weekend.


Just saw this - in my test of the 128GB card on the original BMPCC it showed no signs of a problem at 30fps RAW.
Offline

GeoRover

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 am
  • Real Name: Nasir Aziz

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:11 pm

This is the answer I received directly from BMD support regarding this matter:

Thanks for contacting Blackmagic Design!

The only SD cards that we can vouch for are the cards below. The new version of those SD cards are no longer compatible, so you have to ensure to purchase the version with Product Number Prefix SDSDXP. The newer versions of the card have Product Number Prefix SDSDXXG and those are not supported. For more SD card suggestions, I recommend that you research or post on our user forums for feedback from the community.

The following SD cards are recommended for CinemaDNG RAW recording:

Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec SDSDXP-032G-A46 SDHC UHS-I
Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec SDSDXP-064G-A46 SDXC UHS-I
Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec SDSDXP-128G-A46 SDXC UHS-I
Sandisk 256GB Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec SDSDXP-256G-A46 SDXC UHS-I
Sandisk 512GB Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec SDSDXP-512G-A46 SDXC UHS-I
Offline

GeoRover

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 am
  • Real Name: Nasir Aziz

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 pm

I can confirm that Kingston Canvas React 256GB works flawlessly on BMPCC Original!

I recorded RAW 30fps with NO problems at all.

RAW @ 30fps = 1:00 Hours of record time
RAW @ 24fps = 1:15 Hours of record time

Thank you so much Rudah! Finally we have an alternative that actually works!
Attachments
KingtonSDCard2_.jpg
KingtonSDCard2_.jpg (382.13 KiB) Viewed 18349 times
KingtonSDCard_.jpg
KingtonSDCard_.jpg (240.69 KiB) Viewed 18349 times
Offline
User avatar

Dmitry Shijan

  • Posts: 923
  • Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm
  • Location: UA

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat Sep 07, 2019 7:09 am

Angelbird 128GB V60 and V90 cards also works well. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050&p=545410#p545244

I received the Angelbird 128GB V60 cards today. (I formatted them in camera (BMMCC) exFAT)

I'm glad to report that I was able to shoot
cDNG 1:1 24fps (didn't try 30fps at 1:1)
cDNG 3:1 at 50fps and 60fps

I stopped filming after 3 minutes (7.5 minutes of slow motion) and had no dropped frames.

If someone wants me to test a longer slow motion shot, let me know.

Very happy this worked out as I just bought the camera second-hand a few days ago and wasn't aware of the card shortage. Thanks also to Angelbird's fast support email.

Now maybe Blackmagic Design could evaluate these cards themselves and then list them as a viable alternative to the already listed older generation Sandisk cards, because I wasn't able to find any vendor for those.

Cheers David
All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/
Offline
User avatar

Dmitry Shijan

  • Posts: 923
  • Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm
  • Location: UA

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat Sep 07, 2019 7:11 am

Kingston Canvas React V30 256GB speed test https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/revie ... mory-card/
All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 11374
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSun Sep 08, 2019 1:55 am

So now we have useable alternatives to the new SanDisk SD cards that do not work. :D
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Angelbird 128GB V60 and V90 cards also works well. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050&p=545410#p545244


As originally shipped they did not. Angelbird modified the firmware they are using on the cards to make them compatible. If you order them directly from the site, you should be ok (I haven't tested them myself yet, but going by the reports on the other threads...), but if you order from somewhere else, they might not be depending on when that seller received the cards.
Offline

GeoRover

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 am
  • Real Name: Nasir Aziz

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Also note the price difference between AngelBird V60 and Kingston SD Cards (Prices in USD)

AngelBird vs Kingston

64GB : $37.90 vs $16.99
128GB : $69.90 ? vs $29.99
256GB : $189.90 vs $59.99
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1234
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 pm

GeoRover wrote:256GB : $189.90 vs $59.99[/b]


Is the 256 gigabyte card from Kingston actually available as a standard SD card? When I tried to order one recently the only option for 256 gigs was a micro-SD card. The 128 gig card was the largest-capacity one available in standard SD card format. I'm leery of micro-SD as I've seen reports here that they tend to be less reliable than standard SD cards.
Resolve 16.0, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

GeoRover

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 am
  • Real Name: Nasir Aziz

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 12:10 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
GeoRover wrote:256GB : $189.90 vs $59.99[/b]


Is the 256 gigabyte card from Kingston actually available as a standard SD card? When I tried to order one recently the only option for 256 gigs was a micro-SD card. The 128 gig card was the largest-capacity one available in standard SD card format. I'm leery of micro-SD as I've seen reports here that they tend to be less reliable than standard SD cards.


Yes, I posted the pictures above of the regular Kingston 256GB SD Card. Here is the direct link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B69VP6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 1234
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 am

GeoRover wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:Yes, I posted the pictures above of the regular Kingston 256GB SD Card. Here is the direct link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B69VP6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Thanks -- I'm in Canada and on Amazon Canada the standard-size card isn't available in 256 gb, only the micro SD. Strange!
Resolve 16.0, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline

DenKear

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 pm
  • Real Name: Den Kear

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Hello,

Sorry, it's the translator who speaks!
I recorded one hour with RAW 25 fps with the Kingston Canvas React 256 GB.
With RAW 30 fps frame-drop.
Prores HQ ok

Den
Offline

GeoRover

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 am
  • Real Name: Nasir Aziz

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 10:16 pm

DenKear wrote:Hello,

Sorry, it's the translator who speaks!
I recorded one hour with RAW 25 fps with the Kingston Canvas React 256 GB.
With RAW 30 fps frame-drop.
Prores HQ ok

Den


Is it possible for you to see at what time marker the frames start dropping while shooting RAW? Is your camera on the latest firmware version?

I recorded RAW @ 30fps continuously for 15 minutes with no problems or dropped frames. Typically when I shoot RAW format, I don't even go over 5 minutes. For long continuous type of shoots like interviews etc, RAW probably is not the right choice for that.
Offline

Frank Engel

  • Posts: 254
  • Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Real Name: Frank Engel

Re: BMPCC (original) SD Cards

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 12:12 am

I finally started testing two of the V60 Angelbird cards: a 32GB and a 64GB.

The 32GB card can't handle RAW on the original BMPCC.

With the 64GB card, so far so good, but I have a bit more testing to do with it still.

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests