Recommendation to split out the forums

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sean mclennan

Recommendation to split out the forums

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 4:34 pm

I know this has been asked a couple times, but I think once the new cameras ship...or even earlier..it would make more sense to have Camera Platform sections...like the Mac & PC. Maybe also add an Audio forum as BM does have a few audio devices...

So we could have 3 camera forums:

BMCC 2.5K
BMPC 4K
BMPCC

We would still keep the cinematography forum for, you know, cinematography topics...but splitting out the cameras into separate forums would allow users to find the information they're after much quicker and with less searching.

+1 if you think this is a good idea you'd like to see implemented!

João Gomes

Re: Recommendation to split out the forums

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 6:43 pm

+1
Cameraman/Editor

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:01 pm

I can see advantages to this, but I wonder if it should wait until the camera firmware & hardware is much more differentiated in some future, yet unannounced BMD camera model(s).

Currently, and possibly for a while yet, BMD cameras share a very high percentage of both firmware & hardware-based features. Plus, both pro and entry-level users will buy 1 or more of each camera type, and use them for both pro & personal shooting.

If we split-up the forum into camera model specific sections "soon", redundant & cross posting may increase sharply. That's not good.

So, I can see both advantages & disadvantages of splitting-up the forum by camera model "now". But maybe it'll make more sense to split-up the forum when the cameras have more distinctly-different features?

What do others think about this?

-

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:11 pm

That's a really good idea, seeing that some people get confused and mistake bmpcc for bmpc...

sean mclennan

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Still different cameras, with different features and (ideally) uses. Rigging, power, cards, lenses, etc will be completely different beasts on the pocket camera than the 4K....4K will have unique qualities and issues due to it's differences as well. Why have global shutter conversations in the pocket camera area? or confuse people about MFT mounts, live or dumb mounts, between the BMCC and pocket camera? etc, etc, etc.

Once those two other cameras are in the mix, the amount of traffic the "cinematography" list will see will be close to triple, if not more. It's going to get messy.

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 pm

sean mclennan wrote:I know this has been asked a couple times, but I think once the new cameras ship...or even earlier..it would make more sense to have Camera Platform sections...like the Mac & PC. Maybe also add an Audio forum as BM does have a few audio devices...

BMCC 2.5K
BMPC 4K
BMPCC

We would still keep the cinematography forum for, you know, cinematography topics...but splitting out the cameras into separate forums would allow users to find the information they're after much quicker and with less searching.

+1

We certainly need an area that applies to one or more cameras, such as currently served by Cinematography; but for items that pertain to only one of the cameras, sure handy to have a Camera area broken down into each model: BMCC EF & MFT, BMPCC, BMPC 4K. Don't think we need model to be broken down by mount. If you want a separate section for Audio, then you likely open it up to many different sections (Lighting, Batteries, Stabilizers, etc. which I think is unnecessary now--just focus on the cameras until BMD starts making Projectors, BMTVs, etc.).

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

David Sandberg

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:43 pm

+1

And perhaps a section just for nagging and complaining about Blackmagic? I mean, basically all you'd have to do is just rename this section. ;)

rick.lang

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:47 pm

David Sandberg wrote:+1

And perhaps a section just for nagging and complaining about Blackmagic? I mean, basically all you'd have to do is just rename this section. ;)

Maybe David is onto something! Would save time to get to those rants easily without having to wade through tedious discussions about lenses and lighting and sample footage.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Jace Ross

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 pm

rick.lang wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:I know this has been asked a couple times, but I think once the new cameras ship...or even earlier..it would make more sense to have Camera Platform sections...like the Mac & PC. Maybe also add an Audio forum as BM does have a few audio devices...

BMCC 2.5K
BMPC 4K
BMPCC

+1

We certainly need an area that applies to one or more cameras, such as currently served by Cinematography; but for items that pertain to only one of the cameras, sure handy to have a Camera area broken down into each model: BMCC EF & MFT, BMPCC, BMPC 4K. Don't think we need model to be broken down by mount. If you want a separate section for Audio, then you likely open it up to many different sections (Lighting, Batteries, Stabilizers, etc. which I think is unnecessary now--just focus on the cameras until BMD starts making Projectors, BMTVs, etc.).

Rick Lang

Perhaps an EF or MFT prefix for new threads in the BMCC section to make it easier to find topics by mount (for those 2)
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Marshall Harrington

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Gotta agree with Peter on this. Personally I've learned so much because I happened to read a post that I might not have seen if the groups had been broken up. Perhaps later when the groups are differentiating themselves with more volume.

Return to Cinematography