Pocket 4K Sensor Dust

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tszczesniak

Pocket 4K Sensor Dust

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm

No clue how it's happened since I've had a weathersealed Metabones mounted to the camera since Minute 1, but there is dust polluting my sensor *inside* of the outer glass layer. Is there a procedure for safely unmounting this glass layer like the old BMPC's/etc? I'm fairly competent when it comes to things like this but I don't want to unscrew anything not meant to be unscrewed.

michaelftobin

Re: Pocket 4K Sensor Dust

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 2:54 am

tszczesniak wrote:No clue how it's happened since I've had a weathersealed Metabones mounted to the camera since Minute 1, but there is dust polluting my sensor *inside* of the outer glass layer. Is there a procedure for safely unmounting this glass layer like the old BMPC's/etc? I'm fairly competent when it comes to things like this but I don't want to unscrew anything not meant to be unscrewed.

Same exact issue here. Sent it in for the HDMI to be fixed. got a sensor dust spot when it came back to me. UGH!

odartey

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 am

tszczesniak wrote:No clue how it's happened since I've had a weathersealed Metabones mounted to the camera since Minute 1, but there is dust polluting my sensor *inside* of the outer glass layer. Is there a procedure for safely unmounting this glass layer like the old BMPC's/etc? I'm fairly competent when it comes to things like this but I don't want to unscrew anything not meant to be unscrewed.

Have you got the spot off and if yes, how did you get it off?

vtaroc

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm in the same boat here. Got dust that's on the sensor and not the protective glass. I've looked up on here and found posts that say you have to send it in for repair. I've contacted BM support but never get a response.

Are there any other solutions?

Brad Hurley

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Doing this yourself will void your warranty, but if there's no other option (e.g., your closest BMD dealer can't or won't help) you can go to the Rawlite OLPF website where you'll find step-by-step videos there for removing the glass that sits in front of the sensor (you have to do that in order to install the Rawlite OLPF). He has instructions for the original BMPCC (1080p), the Micro Cinema Camera, the Ursa, the BMPCC 4K and BMPCC 6K as well.

It's a lot easier to do this with the BMPCC 4K than with the older cameras (I just watched the video), but as you'll see you need a special tool for removing the glass. I wonder if Rawlite would sell that tool alone to people who need it for cleaning the glass or the sensor?

With the older cameras like original BMPCC or Micro Cinema Camera you have to be careful: I've done it twice (on two Micro Cinema cameras), and the first time I chipped the glass when trying to remove the o-ring with forceps. That wasn't a problem in my case since I replaced the glass with the Rawlite OLPF, but if I had needed the glass I'd be in trouble.

For the BMMCC, removing the o-ring is probably the most delicate operation, and it tends to stretch a bit when you're pulling it out. In the videos he uses a suction tool to pull out the glass once the o-ring is removed (an ear syringe would probably work, obviously you'd want to use a brand-new one for this purpose).

Replacing the o-ring is also a bit nervewracking, especially if it stretched when removing it (Rawlite supplies replacement o-rings, which is what I used). You'll worry that you wont' be able to get it all back in, but with time and patience it works. None of that o-ring nonsense is necessary with the BMPCC 4K.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Cinematography