SDI Out Film / Video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thomas bruegger

SDI Out Film / Video

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 8:37 am

I received the MFT BMCC yesterday, hooray! wile i like the user interface with the touchscreen Im confused about limitations that dont really make sence like not beeing able to adjust white-balance in 100 celvin steps from 2000 - 8000 Celvin. Limited ASA range, Shutter Angle but no Shutter Speed display, the audio section wich ive read all the complaints so im not going to do more, a timelapse feature while so many elementary things miss.... little things that seem to be obvious.....

The strangest thing is the Video/Film Display settings, maybe im not getting it or im doing something wrong..... i was under the impression that this is a fancy feature for sending out a 709 signal while recording a flat image, but it seems this only affects the internal monitor screen while the sdi signal has the flat recording image?!? The SDI stream follows the recording settings of Film/Video.... i cant make any sence out of this!? is this something that is known to be adressed in a firmware update or is it just me?

thanks, Thomas
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Pierre Reynard

Re: SDI Out Film / Video

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 9:15 am

It's normal, when you recording in film mode, the sdi send the flat image on your monitor, and there is no way to have the rec 709 on your external monitor when recording film mode. Maybe a firmware uptdate will fix this.

Sorry for my English

Cheers

Pierre

Mac Jaeger

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 am

I guess, the idea is to provide a perfectly clean representation of raw data via sdi, to facilitate external recording or live processing in larger set or studio environment. While this is generally a good idea there are some other uses that would require a 709 preprocessed output, like field monitoring. For best flexibility i'd rather have it selectable, or even have both on two seperate outputs.

thomas bruegger

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 1:29 pm

.....while i tried out the camera on the shoulder rig and external monitor, there is no way to zoom in on the external sdi device, its all limitied to the internal back monitor on the camera, bummer. i try to think of a way to really use the cam for my work..... i cant, there quite a lot of things that are not thought through, i can only hope Blackmagic updates the firmware and makes theese things selectabel.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Blaine Russom

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 5:22 pm

thomas bruegger wrote:The strangest thing is the Video/Film Display settings, maybe im not getting it or im doing something wrong..... i was under the impression that this is a fancy feature for sending out a 709 signal while recording a flat image, but it seems this only affects the internal monitor screen while the sdi signal has the flat recording image?!? The SDI stream follows the recording settings of Film/Video.... i cant make any sence out of this!? is this something that is known to be adressed in a firmware update or is it just me?

Thats disappointing.. I was looking forward to using SDI out on a big monitor too

Zwarte_kat

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Though probably not the solution you are looking for, a patch on the wound could be turning up your monitors contrast and chroma, possibly all the way, and adjusting the brightness to make the image more visible.

There are also LUT boxes you can put in between.

I totally agree though that it would be much better if SDI out could be set in video mode, I found it a big bummer when I first noticed it too.

Return to Cinematography