SLR Magic MFT 25mm Tight Fit on Blackmagic

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim DeLuca

SLR Magic MFT 25mm Tight Fit on Blackmagic

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm re-posting this as a new topic, because I am having the same problem as another user that might become problematic to more people.

My SLR magic 12mm fits PERFECTLY on my camera, but the 25mm is REALLY tight. To the point where I just barely managed to get it on once, but I need to use so much force to try and get it to fit that I'm not going to try again.

Another user Colby Moore had this exact same problem, so it may be worth tracking on this thread.

By looking at the 3 metal tabs of the 25mm mount, I can see that they are slightly thicker than the 12mm so that could be the problem.

I've contacted SLR magic and once I here a response I will share it.

I know some folks like John Brawley haven't had issues with their lens' so maybe it's just a tolerance issue with the production of the 25mm.

Kholi Hicks

Re: SLR Magic MFT 25mm Tight Fit on Blackmagic

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I haven't had any issues mounting the 12 or 25, although the 25 is noticeably tighter than the 12, but not to where I can't mount it. I also have a Production Run camera.

The other member you mentioned said that he could mount it, even though it was tight. So yours sounds tighter than his.
Kholi Hicks

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Kholi wrote:I haven't had any issues mounting the 12 or 25, although the 25 is noticeably tighter than the 12, but not to where I can't mount it. I also have a Production Run camera.

The other member you mentioned said that he could mount it, even though it was tight. So yours sounds tighter than his.

Kholi, can you comment about the other SLR Magic lenses? Is the 35mm or 85mm very tight?

I still haven't decided between the BMCC MFT and the BMPC4K. If I go with BMCC MFT, then I wanted to get the SLR Magic lenses but this is making me wonder about build consistency. Their 0.95 aperture beckons compared to what Samyang lenses I can put on the BMPC4K.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Kholi Hicks

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 7:00 pm

I only had a brief encounter with the 35/1.4 and it seemed to mount okay. I can't remember having to struggle with it.

Also, I do not struggle with the 25, it's just a "snug" mount.

If Jim can't mount his without excessive force I would be concerned.
Kholi Hicks

Jim DeLuca

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Its definitely a lot of force, there may have even been a tiny amount of metal debris from the first and only time I tried to mount it. I saw might have because I quickly removed it with a blower so wether it was dust or not I'm no sure.

I know no production line of any gear is 100% so as long as SLR magic sufficiently address my problem than I'm understanding :)

I prefer a nice tight mount myself, especially when I'm using a stabalizer, but this is definitely a problem

thomas bruegger

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 7:30 pm

i have two mft to canon/nikon adapters from ebay that also are very hard to snap in the bmcc mft. no problem on a gh2 or gf1.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

javierdpvelez

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 2:12 am

Hi,

I own a MFT BMCC, and both the 12mm and 25mm SLR Magic lenses. I can definitely say that the 25mm has a snug fit, gets on there for sure, but does require some force. The first time I removed it I did see some debris fall out. This is not an issue with the camera though as the snug fit is also with my Olympus OMD EM5. I don't think the fitting is problematic though.

Hope that helps.

Jim DeLuca

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 2:26 am

javierdpvelez wrote:Hi,

I own a MFT BMCC, and both the 12mm and 25mm SLR Magic lenses. I can definitely say that the 25mm has a snug fit, gets on there for sure, but does require some force. The first time I removed it I did see some debris fall out. This is not an issue with the camera though as the snug fit is also with my Olympus OMD EM5. I don't think the fitting is problematic though.

Hope that helps.

It's way more than a snug fit, it's where I would have to put a irresponsible amount of force on it to connect it. No lens should go on THAT tight.

Jim DeLuca

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 4:14 pm

So I heard back from SLR magic.

There were very nice, and explained the situation to me, and asked that I share what we talked about.

So the issue with the tolerance;

They were getting feedback from GH2 and GH3 users who said that the mounts of their MFT lens' were a bit loose, so they slightly beefed up the mount so it would have a tighter fit on those cameras.

They said they had a few people contact them as well with the 25mm being too tight.

They are going to email me tomorrow during their working hours in Hong Kong so I can ship the lens back to them.

And I got this lens back in March, so far they are being very helpful. I'll keep updating with more info as I get it.

Jim DeLuca

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Another update,

SLR Magic is sending me an older version of their mount for the 25mm before users suggested making a tighter fit for their gh2/gh3.

I'll be able to swap it out myself. All in all, they have been extremely helpful and quick to respond. I hope it goes well when I get it in!

Nigel Smith

PostFri Apr 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Apologies for reviving an old thread.
I am having issues with the SLR Magic F0.95 25mm lens having play in the body.
This results in the image shifting down and to the left abruptly, at the start of any focus adjustment.
You can actually feel movement between the barrel of the lens and the black collar with the red dot, by the MFT mount.

The same problem is less noticeable with the SLR Magic 12mm lens, but still present.
The F0.95 50mm lens doesn't have this problem, but does have slight play between the 2.5K MFT camera body and the lens.

Is anybody else experiencing these issues?
Thanks for any info
Nigel

Jim DeLuca

PostSat Apr 26, 2014 1:14 am

Contact SLR magic, by phone if you can, they were great getting back to me. They even sent me a new mount when my 25mm fit too tight, I'm sure they'll try and find a solution for you

Return to Cinematography