Audio dropout problem on BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

markpxxxxx

Audio dropout problem on BMPCC4K

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 2:53 pm

It was my first day of shooting today, and I experienced an audio dropout problem. When I recorded BM Raw onto an approved Samsung 1TB SSD via USB, I get only half the audio, the second half drops out entirely. This is seemingly related to the length of the clip, so that if the clip is 10 minutes in length I get approx 5 min of audio followed by 5 min of silence. If the clip is 1 min I get 30 sec of audio 30 sec of silence.

I tried switching to ProRes and audio worked just fine.

What da heck is going on?????

youlikeny

Re: Audio dropout problem on BMPCC4K

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 pm

markpxxxxx wrote:It was my first day of shooting today, and I experienced an audio dropout problem. When I recorded BM Raw onto an approved Samsung 1TB SSD via USB, I get only half the audio, the second half drops out entirely. This is seemingly related to the length of the clip, so that if the clip is 10 minutes in length I get approx 5 min of audio followed by 5 min of silence. If the clip is 1 min I get 30 sec of audio 30 sec of silence.

I tried switching to ProRes and audio worked just fine.

What da heck is going on?????

Are you sure you didn't record at 60fps? Because that's what usually happens... The audio will play back at normal speed but as the clips is recorded at twice the frame rate the audio only covers half the clip..

markpxxxxx

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Ah, that could be it, thanks!

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:18 pm

The information on the screen takes a little getting used to. First time I saw 60/24 in the upper left of the monitor, I thought “ho hum, ya I’m shooting 24 fps and have off speed set to 60, so fine.” Then I learned if you see two values up there in the corner it means you’re recording 60 fps. If you only see one number there, you’re recording recording 24 fps. May be clearer if the recording frame rate was bold and the project frame rate was regular. Of course once you learn how to interpret the numbers, you won’t do it again. No big deal unless you were finding that out during a paid shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

RobertF

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 3:50 pm

Today I was filming multiple clips (BMPCC 4K) onto a Samsung T7 Shield 1TB SSD and experienced several clips either dropping the audio half-way through or not recording at all.

BRAW Q3 DCI4K at 24fps

Could be the rather naff shotgun mic I was using.

I'm going to test it now by recording for say 10mins both with the mic and then with the cameras own mics to see what happens.

Fortunately the audio wasn't important, but was still rather an unpleasant surprise.

............later.............

Carried out the tests, but before starting I discovered that I had the audio inputs both set to 3.5mm Left. Set them to 3.5mm Left and 3.5mm Right and all went well, with clips up to 15 minutes and others for just a few seconds.

So maybe that was it? Having the inputs set incorrectly?
BMPCC 4K
Panasonic GH4
Macbook Pro
Windows workstation
Plus all the usual studio kit and caboodle :-)

Return to Cinematography