BMPCC4K - slow boot when ssd full of clips

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

FelikZ

BMPCC4K - slow boot when ssd full of clips

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Greetings forum,

I use samsung T5 ssd 1TB and I have shot amazing 945, short (2-7 seconds) videos in RAW Q0.

This files are consume 528 GB of space, so plenty to go.

What I have realized is that the more files I have, the slower my camera boots.
My use-case, I am traveling and run-and-gun all the time. To save battery life I am turning off/on the camera quite often.

Having 945 clips takes more than a minute to camera to allow recording to start. Basically I have missed a lot shots because of this issue.

Is there any workaroud, other than clean the ssd, to keep many clips and allow camera to shoot?

As a software developer, I predict that the issue might be in clips indexing / caching, during the boot.

I will love to disable this feature to have instant access and longer battery life.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by FelikZ on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

Re: BMPCC4K - slow boot when ssd full of clips

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 am

Don’t know if this contributes to the slowdown but if the SSD is MLC multi-level cells, you may have slower performance after the device is half filled as it tries to fill the second layer of cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Chris Whitten

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 8:19 am

I make very short films, usually around 3 minutes. As such I don't need long takes.
I generally shoot clips of 20 to 30 secs, just so I know I have the shot and so I can find a good spot to cut into and out of the shot.
To be honest I don't know how you could work with 2 to 7 second shots, unless it's an animation.
Chris Whitten

FelikZ

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Perhaps the fact that you have so many extremely shot clips, the camera has to do significantly more work to find it's place in the SSD.

This is exactly what I am observe. But the question is: Is it necessary to do on a camera boot to prevent video shooting and increase battery consumption while I am not planning to play videos?

To be honest I don't know how you could work with 2 to 7 second shots, unless it's an animation.

I do a short cinematic movies (1-5 mins) out of my travels. I think it is a valid use-case.

Chris Whitten

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Buy a DJI CoPilot and offload your files as often as you can.
It's dangerous to have all your work on one drive anyway, especially if it's shot on your travels - and you can't redo or recover anything you lose.
Chris Whitten

FelikZ

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 6:32 am

DJI CoPilot

Interesting backup solution, thanks for sharing.

Vykoukal

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 11:45 am

Hi Alexey, did you have any succes solving this issue? I've recently hit the same problem which makes the T5 ssd almost unusable in this situation... I'm wondering if two 500GB disks would be better or the same after filling them over the half.

FelikZ

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am

Hey @Vykoukal, I tried to find a solution through support but they do not see an issue with this.

What helped me is to manually move all video data to sub-directory and boot camera again. That way, the camera appears to not scan sub-directories and see the disk as an empty one. This result in fast boots. However, be aware that (afair) it still thinks that your drive is empty - so it will probably not stop once the drive is full.

I am also not aware if there some optimizations when writing to a clean formatted ssd. On my experience, this does not affect ssd performance.

That will be awesome if more people will reach the support team, so they will work on a proper solution and so I do not need to carry an extra device to move files and extra batteries to feed file indexer.

I hope this helps.

pnguyen720

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Chris Whitten wrote:Buy a DJI CoPilot and offload your files as often as you can.
It's dangerous to have all your work on one drive anyway, especially if it's shot on your travels - and you can't redo or recover anything you lose.

I offload mine from CFast using another hard drive and a laptop.

That DJI solution is a better one.

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Recently I used bmpcc4k like photocamera shooting small clip Q0, I shooted since 1800 clip in the same ssd but I not find this problem during on off of camera. Could be a problem if ssd controller? I used sandisk extreme pro (from my old Bmpc4k).

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography